Monday, July 11, 2005

Alien Invasion

Only have but a moment...Chris and I went and saw "War of the Worlds" on Saturday night. We originally had no plans to see the movie with Tom Cruise and the aliens but then Carrie Ann admitted to sneaking into the movie with Todd and seeing the end and telling me it was so scary that Todd asked if he could include a little section in his prayers that night about God not letting the aliens attack. Well, anything that provokes Todd to pray for safety from aliens was worth my 7 bucks. I made Chris buy me popcorn just in case it was about what I expected and I had nothing to do for 2 hours. Well, aliens attacked and I have to admit it was pretty scary. Tripod, blood sucking, can't be killed by the national guard machines with roving metallic eyes and grabby metal claws got my adrenaline pumping. The movie was pretty intense until the end. The last 10 minutes of the movie killed the whole build-up and I left the movie theater in shock. No closure, no satisfying explanation for why aliens had just attacked the earth and sucked everyone's blood, no explanation for how Tom Cruise's whole family managed to stay so well-dressed and coiffed safe and snug in their Boston brownstone while the rest of the city was torched, no reasoning behind the eventual death of the tripods and certainly no long term glimpses of the therapy involved in recovering from such a trauma. (OK, and I wanted to know who was going to pay for all the damage and who was going to clean-up the disgusting mess they left behind and whether or not the 10 year old actress got tired on wearing the same outfit the whole movie, and...and...and...) I don't know what to tell all of you. If you must see the movie, go see it on the big screen. If you are uncertain...go see it but take a treat and leave before you have to watch Tom Cruise REALLY try and act at the end. Oh, don't be shy if you need to light a candle and ask God to keep the aliens away when all is said and done. It happens to the best of us.

P.S. Suzie Petunia...you thought Watcher in the Woods was scary? OK, it really, really was...but so is this one. Don't go!

7 comments:

mo said...

Okay, I agree that the ending was rather anticlimatic and that it was unlikely that the whole family would have ALL survived what preceded the ending, but come on, you have to admit that the special effects were outstanding! It scared the bejeebies out of me. I think everyone is just mad at Tom Cruise right now for acting like such a lunatic and jerk about everything from Katie Holmes to giving advice to the world of Psychiatrists--not to mention how bizarre he is acting on talk shows. That aside, Dakota Fanning is amazing and deserves an Oscar for her performance. I agree her wardrobe opportunities in this film were limited but I think the aliens vaporized her wardrobe in the beginning. I did lean over to Dad and mentioned that I thought her character was going to need some serious counseling after this experience. I liked it. It was scarey, intense, fun and there WAS an explanation of why the aliens were stopped...it was just kind of weak. But you are right, Suzie probably shouldn't go see it!

Suzie Petunia said...

No worries. It's not on my list of "movies I must see"... especially because I think Tom Cruise is creepy, stuck up, a self-proclaimed intellectual know-it-all, and quite generally incredibly irritating. AND he's SHORT. So, no, I will not be throwing 7 bucks his way any time soon. Acutally...it is 8 bucks here in OR. All the more reason not to go.

Suzie Petunia said...

Did that sound bitter? It's just that he's turned so weird, that's all. So disappointing...

Carrie Ann said...

You don't have to apologize, Suzie. There is nothing wrong with being irritated with Tom for acting so irritating.

Todd and I avoided throwing $7.50 his way by seeing "Bewithched" first and then seeing "War of the Worlds" after...we didn't feel like we got our $7.50 out of the first movie.

And just for the record, this was my first "sneak in" and it was Todd's idea...

Emma Jo said...

I don't have any comment about the movie but then again I wasn't concentrating too hard--I had to tinkle through the entire second half. Cute girl, stubborn son, nice body Tom, aliens not scary enough to give me nightmares but I might hide under the kitchen table during hte next lightning storm. And I love you all.

Abby said...

Ok, I completely didn't expect to like the movie soley based on the fact that Tom Cruise is so creepy suddenly in real life. However, I hate to admit, but he did a good job..and kind of always does. I say, if you can forget that it's Tom Cruise, he's doing a good job. Think about it--in "Pearl Harbor" did you ever forget that it was Ben Affleck? No. It's because he does not deserve to be a famous person. I feel so strongly--I may need to blog on this matter to more fully explain. Anyway, I may have to face it that Tom is a good actor, but a terribly awkward real person. The little girl was amazing too. I had quite an enjoyable time at that movie, come to think of it--Dad paid my 7.50 and we even got candy and drinks!

Lisa M. said...

I have yet to see the film, but thank you for the "review!"

I love hearing about what people think after a movie.