Today is Mother’s Day and so I would like to dedicate this blog to my “Mo” and all the wonderful gifts she has given me over the last 35 years. I wish everyone had a Mom like my Mo. The world would be such a happy, fun, comfortable place. (Not to mention ever so stylish, hip, and cute!) I don’t know any other person whose attention is sought after more in my family than my Mo’s. Getting time with her is still such a treat! But let me start at the beginning…
My Mo has given me the gift of FAITH.
Mo is a very intelligent, ambitious, driven woman. She graduated from high school and began college with great ambitions regarding her education and career. Yet when the Lord presented her with an unexpected opportunity, she took it. She married my dad and started a family. While the timing may have caught her a little off-guard, her desire to follow the Lord and do His will has never been a question. She knew no opportunity or righteous desire would be denied and she has had faith in that promise for all these years. After 7 children, she is back in school at Brigham Young University finishing her degree and pursuing so many interesting avenues and interests. I’m so proud of the student she is and the incredible new things she is doing.
My Mo has given me the gift of DETERMINATION, DEVOTION, & DEDICATION.
When my Mo was 25 years old, she was called to serve as a mission president’s wife with my dad in Sweden. She had never been out of the U.S., did not speak Swedish, and had 3 little children with one on the way. In true “Mo” fashion, she accepted this challenge and not only served but excelled. She left the United States with my dad and 4 children ages 5 and under. She established a wonderful home for us in Sweden where she not only learned to speak beautiful, fluent Swedish, but played “Mom” to numerous missionaries serving far from home. My Mo had another baby, supported my dad, entertained, played hostess, traveled all over the country in a Volvo, and was loved and adored for all she contributed during her service in Sweden. As a mother and wife, I stand in awe of this experience my mom had at such a young age. She continues to be such a stalwart servant in the Lord’s army! I have watched Mo serve in countless callings throughout her life. She has never turned down a calling from the Lord and I have never seen her give less than her absolute best. I have been especially blessed in watching the service she has given to the youth of the church. As an early morning seminary teacher and as a Young Woman’s leader, I have seen her touch the lives of teenagers during a difficult time of their lives. She has taught me to never shy away from an opportunity to serve others.
My Mo has given me the gift of TESTIMONY.
Mo has such a burning, bright testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ. I have never seen my mother waiver in her knowledge of its truth. She is the most honest, humble, devote servant of the Savior I know. I remember my Dad commenting on how long her prayers were at night and I know I have been touched by her faith and relationship with Heavenly Father and Savior, Jesus Christ. I have watched her study the gospel, teach the gospel, and live the gospel. There is no greater gift a parent can give their children than the truth. And I know it is true because she not only taught me, but she has lived it in every aspect of her life and dealings with others.
My Mo has given me the gift of FUN.
I laughed and played and imagined and had such a wonderful childhood. I remember my Mo holding “Busy Bee School” with us in the basement where we cut and glued and colored and played. I remember organizing plays, playing school, holding New Year Eve’s parties, going to Duran Duran, Thompson Twins, and Whitney Houston concerts, dressing up, making things in the kitchen, going to movies, watching movies at home, homemade play dough, family vacations, car trips, adventures & exploring, singing, watching her play her guitar, dancing in the living room and always having a myriad of fun things to do. My Mo is creative, talented, and fun. She continues to be all these things as a GrandMo. I walked into her living room the other day where she was dancing with my children to “Don’t Worry, Be Happy” so of course we all joined in. As we left, my sister-in-law said, “You are so lucky to have that kind of Mom.” I couldn’t agree with her more. I still would rather go anywhere or do anything with my Mo than anyone else in the world!
My Mo has given me the gift of MOTHERHOOD.
Because of the kind of mother my Mo has been, she has given me the opportunity to succeed as a mother. She has set the example, provided the tools, shown me how to use them and has passed the baton. Now I have 3 little children and I am striving to emulate her example. I fall short in so many areas but I am so grateful to have the power and strength of her life to look to for inspiration and example. I am also grateful for my telephone and the fact that she still answers her phone. I call numerous times a week…sometimes a day…and the woman still takes my calls. She has comforted me, encouraged me, been patient with me, prayed for me, shown faith in me, cheered me on, and loved me when I know it was not always easy.
And so today I honor my Mo and thank my Heavenly Father that she is mine.
Happy Mo’s Day! I love you.
6 comments:
What a beautiful tribute.
I think you have a wonderful Mom too. It is awesome to read so much about her.
I wish all children had such a Mom.
You're a lucky one!
And a great Mom yourself. Happy Mothers Day to you ~!
Thank you, Sweet Daughter, for a wonderful tribute. It makes me blush. I have printed it out so I can read it on those days when I feel I haven't accomplished much in my life. You children are my greatest treasure and joy.
Er, I mean... that's what I meant to say in my blog! Well said, dear sister!
That was wonderful, and so true. As a teenager that came into your house, I was always welcomed and obviously still do, as I come to comment on a blog about the truthfulness of your Mo. Bonnie Blue, you're the best!
I love you too, Mo! Can we just say this was from all of us? What, too late for that?
in another couple months when jake can be as eloquent he shall be able to say the exact same for you. YOU are the great tribute to your mother.
Post a Comment