Sunday, June 18, 2006

An Odd Little Thing

My writing career started young. My first official published work can be found at Highcroft Elementary School in St. Louis, MO. It is titled, "Lovisa Goes Shopping." A deep look at the world of little girls shopping at toy stores. I believe it was around 8 pages and fully illustrated by my third grade self.

I then moved on to explore other subject matters in my novels...mainly death and cancer. There was "Don't Stop Me Now, I'm On My Way" and "Last Breath". I'm not sure what happened to both these stories. A tragic loss for the literary world.

I took all the usual classes in high school and wrote tons of depressing stuff about things I knew nothing about. Then came all the years in college where depressing turned into what I thought was profound and symbolic work which really translates to profoundly stupid writing. And here I am...

I think I always thought I wanted to be a writer. This week I attended a writing conference at BYU and decided that what I REALLY want to be is a book editor. I'm not sure that was really the point of the conference but it was the most inspirational thing I walked away with. The conference was excellent! But really, I'm not all that great at writing but I am great at telling my husband what is wonderful or really bad with every book I read. I love children's literature and I love reading. I believe in the power great writing can have in a child's life. I've seen its influence in my life, in the lives of children I've taught, in the faces of parents and toddlers at story times, and in the lives of my own children. So there you have it. A little A-HA moment that happened last week. Isn't it great when your whole life takes a pleasant turn and you develop a new perspective for a mere $109 and some time off in the afternoon??

14 comments:

Laura said...

"I'm not all that great at writing..."

(I'm rolling my eyes, and glaring at you right now...)

Julianne said...

Hi, you don't know me, and don't think I'm a stalker, but my sister-in-law happened upon your blog and forwarded it to me because I also went to the BYU writers conference last week. And I also have three hysterical kids and am a stay-at-home mom and dream of something big for my life. And didn't Jill and Tracy make editing sound so thrilling? Anyway, if you ever want to chat will a fellow "wanna-be," here's my blog: fjdfamily.blogspot.com
Thanks!
Julie

Abby said...

Um, that's a nice hobby for you, editing, but seriously? Not that great a writer? You're not that great a liar either! I would give my favorite writing pen to be as articulate and eloquent and witty as you! Add all that to your ability to edit and you're the perfect writer, right? It soulds so logical to me.

Suzie Petunia said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Suzie Petunia said...

PATRICIA

What I was thinking was she'd probably
make a great children's book editor.

JOE

Why would you think that?

PATRICIA

She knows everything. She has flawless taste. She's famous for it. The salesmen swear by her. If she likes it, it sells. Period.

(NAME THAT MOVIE)

I have to agree with everyone that you are a very talented writer. You are. You simply ARE. But, I can see the allure of editing, too. Sounds fun. Besides, you DO have flawless taste. :) And you dress like Meg Ryan.

M-L said...

You are the best story teller! you should write books for children... just because that about all I read these days.

Unknown said...

"you've got mail"

It's true--i love reading your blog. but maybe you could start with editing while the kids are little, and then when they're older and you have more "alone time" you could give us all the pleasure of reading one of your books...how does that sound? do you like the way I am planning out your life?

Oscarson Photography said...

"don't stop me now, i'm on my way"? sounds deep to me. but what do i know, i remember abby's poem about the sneeze at walpole mall and thinking it was truly transcending the self.... write it or edit it and i'll read it!

Abby said...

By the way, you do recommend good books too...
And I think that You've Got Mail is the female equivalent of the Godfather, in that there are fitting lines from it for every occaision. I myself use, "ugh! where are my tic tacs?!" a lot.

chrisX said...

Nevermind the fact that after the first day of freshman English writing class in college the professor told her she had an "A" and didn't need to come back for the rest of the semester (see, I DO read these and I DO listen!)

mo said...

I love the one you wrote that involved Richard Simmons resting on a lettuce leaf. Am I remembering this correctly? You absolutely cannot give up the thought of writing...we are all waiting....

Darlene said...

Hey--
I was at the conference, too. Did you just go in the afternoons? I was there in the mornings with Rick Walton. It was such a high that I am really feeling let-down now. Ho-hum.

Unknown said...

I also want to be a writer, but you sound like you are much further along in that endeavor than I.

What about the conference made you decide you'd like to be an editor? Would you be my editor? (just kidding.)
Do you write right now? What are you working on?

Lisa M. said...

Well THANKS for the invite to attend the conference with ya.

Geez

*grin*

Book Editor. Neat!