Monday, July 24, 2006

Love, Find Joy, Be Present

Today we had a vacation. This summer has been CRAZY...even bordering insane. There have been visitors/guests, family get-togethers, T-ball practices and games, volunteer projects, huge Primary changes, etc. etc. I am starting to feel overwhelmed and permanently stressed out. So last night, at about 9:00 p.m., C. and I packed up our little family and took a vacation from our life.

We grabbed our jammies, clean underwear, and toothbrushes and drove up to Mo and Papa's apartment to spend the night. Our boys were so excited that they bounced and gleefully played in the back of the mini-van the entire drive up. I was enchanted by their excitement and saddened by the pathetic state of our lives when going to Salt Lake City (30 minutes away) elicits such a huge response! Upon arrival, our boys promptly climbed into the big blue chair with Papa while he finished reading them "Treasure Island" and Mo, C. and I went down to gawk and marvel at the die hard parade goers camping out along the street for the Days of '47 parade!

This morning we woke up to Mo bouncing around the apartment waiting as patiently as she could with her sun hat and little back pack for the rest of us to get up so we could go to the parade. I didn't know my Mo had such a passion for the home grown parade but this was one anxious, excited lady! We headed down to South Temple and parked our chairs in front of her apartment building. We saw lots of policemen on motorcycles, cheesy floats with "royalty" and shouted the loudest we could when "Barry" from Macy's drove by and President Monson waved at us. We lasted 2 hours at the parade before the children's plea for air conditioning and hot dogs drove us inside. After a delightful lunch and a quick nap, C. and I took the boys out on an adventure. (H. stayed home with Mo for a little "shut-eye".) We walked down to the Beehive House, took a tour, looked at the Seagull Statue on Temple Square, visited the Church History Museum where we pulled a handcart and made lots of crafts, then headed back to the apartment via Main Street Plaza and a quick stop for some ice-cream at the little neighborhood deli. All in all, a fantastic "vacation".

The sad part is we have to go home in a few minutes. And there will be frantic messages on the answering machine, dirty dishes in the sink, laundry that still isn't folded, a treat schedule to get made up for soccer practice tomorrow, food to arrange to be picked up for the ward dinner, primary stuff to figure out, and a babysitter to find so I can go fulfill my responsibilities at Jake's new school. Sigh. I am so grateful for a life filled with wonderful opportunities to serve and participate but I wish the pace was slower. Just a few minutes ago I read a quote by an author that said she lived by the creed: Love, Find Joy, and Be Present. I've decided to adopt it. I can't go on vacation every day but I can learn to find more joy and moments of genuine happiness in my every day life and responsibilities. And I can remember to BE PRESENT in everything I am doing...especially where my kids are concerned. I want to involve them more and celebrate all the big and little milestones we are reaching every day in our lives as a family.

Today was a perfect little oasis of vacation...thank you Mo and Papa for hosting our getaway!

5 comments:

mo said...

I've always loved parades! I hadn't seen a good one for years and it was much more fun with family there! The hot dogs tasted better, too! Thanks for coming and making my day before all the hard stuff starts to hit this week!

M-L said...

What a fun get away! do you want to go camping with us in the mountains when we get back?

Jangs said...

Mark and I can no longer stand parades...has to do with politics...but you made it all sound so nice.

Abby said...

i got really stressed for you when you mentioned what would be waiting at home. "don't go" i wanted to say. "It's bettah he-ah." (Empire of the Sun)

Lisa M. said...

I love parades.

I am so glad you had a good outing.

Arn't those little get-a-ways, the essance of life?

They are my favorite!