Saturday, October 28, 2006

More Unsolicited Recommendations

I am a total book junkie. Serious addict. Mostly children's picture books, some young adult fiction. And a kind commentor made the tragic mistake of asking me for a few suggestions regarding books for babies. I will try to limit myself to my top choices. But if the list is not long enough, I'd be happy to suggest my life away. I love books.

My Top Reading List for Babies, Toddlers, and Other Helpless Dependents:

1) What Shall We Do With the Boo Hoo Baby? (Cressida Cowell)

2) Five LIttle Ladybugs (Melanie Girth and Tony Griego)
[Many variations on this theme are also available and they are all darling but the ladybugs are my personal favorite!]

3) Kiss Good Night! (Amy Hest & Anita Jeram) [There is a whole series of "Sam" books and they are all wonderful. I am very much attached to darling Sam bear from this book. Collect all the books. They are warm and beautiful and perfect for snuggling. My daughter's bedroom is decorated around 4 prints from this book.]

4) Olivia (Ian Falconer) [My most favorite pig. She is hilarious and endearing and my whole laundry room is done with Olivia the pig. I even own the tea set...]

5) 3 board books by Leslie Patricelli...Quiet/Loud, Big/Little, Yummy/Yucky [These 3 books are a MUST HAVE! From the time H. was little, she would gleefully join in on these books. They are so funny!]

6) Don't Let The Pigeon Drive the Bus (Mo Willems) [My children laugh themselves silly every time we read this book!]

7) Knufflebunny (Mo Willems) [This is my darling M.'s favorite book!]

8) Sandra Boynton: every board book she has ever written. Children simply will not grow up normal if they have not properly been indoctrinated by her board books from birth.

9) Where the Wild Things Are (Maurice Sendak)

10) The Very Hungry Caterpillar (Eric Carle)

11) Counting Kisses (Karen Katz)

12) Good NIght, Gorilla (Peggy Rathmann): Be prepared. If you choose to introduce this book, you will be reading it 15 times a day for at least a year.

13) Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See? (Eric Carle)

14) Polar Bear, Polar Bear, What Do You Hear? (Eric Carle)


Oh my goodness. Have I said too much? If you owned these 13 million books, you would never leave your comfy chair and you would be in reading heaven all your days.

Read to your children every day for at least 20 minutes. That single act alone will change your child's world.

12 comments:

Lisa M. said...

When Ethan was in the NICU, I read to his little paralized body every single day, over and over, the same books.

I don't read to him much anymore.

*Crying* I hadn't realized that. Not until this very moment.

Thank you, for this post. You'll never know, how it hit me.

I need to go shopping.

mo said...

I'm glad you already realize that you have a serious addiction....it runs in the family, you know...may we never recover! I still love children's books and I don't even have any children around anymore!

Suzie Petunia said...

So, did the rich benefactor thing come through? If he has some extra moolah I have a few requests. Hey, who has me for Christmas? I'm feeling greedy for books!

Lisa M. said...

Can ya just pick three for me?

Three brightly colored really good childrens books?

Something short and simple for Ethan. Something you would read to a toddler?

I know I sound VERY wimpy, but I am not sure, I can browse the children's section of the bookstore.

(I don't go into toy stores um AT all!)

If you would just send me the names, I could order them!

*chuckle*

I am SUCH a wimp!

(Lisa@Madsenfamily.net)

Hjalmar2 said...

Hey,
What happened to Treasure Island?! That's good for babies. "Aye, Jim, you're a sight for sore eyes!" What baby wouldn't get a chuckle out of a creepy guy with one leg and a parrot on his shoulder?

Emma Jo said...

love 'em, love 'em lots, love 'em some more.
(PS I've anxiously been awaiting this afternoon--book fair at HJ's school, wahoo!)

LeMasters said...

ahhh...perfect! Thank you so much! I will be off to B&N this week to have a look at these, and will add some to my baby's Christmas list.

Unknown said...

LOVE Sandra Boynton,

and don't the the pigeon drive the bus is really funny, along with all the other pigeon books.

Unknown said...

sorry
I mean the pigeon book WAS funny. Trying to multi-task, and it's not working, apparently.

Julie said...

I just printed the list! I love a lot of those, and haven't heard of some.. Thanks! Lately however, I find while I am reading, my eyes get heavy, my words slur and then I start snoring. I am only awakened by my girls yelling, "MOM! You're NOT done yet!!!" Then I beg them for just 5 minutes of a snooze to get some energy back...

Sarah said...

As a book junkie, this is the kind of unsolicited information I LOVE!

chrisX said...

Where the Wild Things Are
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus
Good Night Gorilla

My top 3 for overactive boys.

And Harvard research shows that the amount of time your kid is exposed to books and literacy activity before they start school is the most important factor in determining "success" later in life. So read to them, and start EARLY