Sunday, November 19, 2006

How I Got Herpes at Disneyland

I've had a few requests for closure to a previous entry that mentioned contracting herpes on my family vacation. It went like this...

On our 10 hour drive to California, I started to notice an insatiable need for chapstick. Not just a "Hey, could you pass the chapstick when you have a minute" but a "clawing through the car like a heroin addict looking for the tube of mosturizer to get their next high" kind of feeling. My lips were SO dry and tingly and weird feeling. It was a little strange but we were driving through the desert so I dismissed it as being a severely dehydrated condition.

A couple of days later the blisters came on. And then I woke up one morning and my lips were huge and swollen WITH the oozing blisters that would pop and drip down my chin. Chris thought it was funny that we were in California and I looked like I had received a really botched up Botox job. J. told me I looked like the sea crustacean from Pirates of the Caribbean. I was walking around Disneyland with a wad of napkins to wipe the ooze, hand sanitizer and wipies to prevent spreading the infection and tubes of lip stuff to try and ease the pain and discomfort. I finally broke down one morning and called my mom. I told her to goggle my systems and see what came up. Moments later she had an article that perfectly described all my symptoms. "Mom, that's it! That's it! What does it say?" to which my mom replied, "Oh, you have herpes simplex. Don't kiss anyone. It is highly contagious!" I felt so unclean.

I don't know how I got herpes. I only kiss one person on the lips and 3 people on the cheek. I don't touch drinking fountains or kiss anything in public places but now I watch the ads on TV for pills that control your herpes outbreaks with serious interest and concentration. My outbreak lasted a FULL 10 days and was so awful there are no words to describe it.

So...does anyone want a big slobbery kiss?

4 comments:

Abby said...

You poor lepper! That is so pathetic and funny...and I am seriously re-considering ever kissing you on the lips again...har har. Really though, that's gross. Sorry about that herpes.

chrisX said...

I have no response to this. It's not my fault.

Hjalmar2 said...

Herpes?!
Maybe you just got too close to the curling iron!

Suzie Petunia said...

I am so sorry and hope I never have your misfortune. Seriously, that is gross.