I've had several people question how children wanting to go to bed at 7:30 p.m. and declaring their independence by wanting their own room is a bad thing. Well...let me clarify a few things.
For those of you that know any Oscarson, you know we all suffer from our own little versions of OCD. Some need to organize, others don't like miscellaneous hairs, and some need their houses to be free of super hero underwear in the living room. I manifest my OCD with an extreme need to have things filed away in plastic drawers and containers all over the house marked on the front in bold Sharpie marker with its contents. This move inspired by Greg Brady has thrown my world in to chaos. Matthew is sleeping on a foam pad in the living room where he has now moved his entire rolling cart of clothes AND added a laundry basket for his dirty clothes. While I applaud his resourcefulness and talent for putting dirty clothes in the right place, it is a little odd to have to usher guests, visiting teachers, home teachers, etc. pass the soiled underwear sitting in the living room.
Jake has moved his rolling plastic cart downstairs, added a laundry basket and continues to add an assortment of items to his "groovy new room". All their "hanging" clothes are upstairs in the "old" closet. Apparently there exists a fine line between rolling plastic cart clothes and hanging closet clothes and I didn't get the memo. Books are spread over 2 floors of the house (including library books from 2 different libraries) and I'm having trouble adjusting to not having things properly categorized. So...Greg Brady is disrupting my balance and stirring up my OCD. I'd love him if he were merely motivating my children to go to bed early...but he has wedged his irritating grooviness in to so much more.
And heaven help me when Matthew and Jacob see the whole Brady family riding donkeys down into the Grand Canyon and going to Hawaii and playing with poisonous insects! My life may never be the same.
3 comments:
Umm...Still not seeing how 7:30pm bedtime is bad...And the more I think of it...The boys would look SO CUTE in matching, fringed, pants...Maybe you could tye-dye for the next FHE? Or maybe macrame? LAVA-LAMPS!!
I think we should have Greg Brady declared a national menace for unduly creating chaos and discomfort in you OCD-centered habitat. OR...maybe what you need is an "Alice" to keep the dirty underwear clean. Who knew the Brady Bunch could still be influencing young Americans 40 years after the fact?
We may need some of the Greg Brady influence in our home where our kids fonction and sleep in a little pack. They have all been sleeping in the same room, on a bed that goes from one wall to the other...
As for the OCD tendency, M. is it! She even "freaks out" Ethan (his own words) because she likes things to be so organized and neat.
Post a Comment