Now we all know that I was a little emotional on J.'s first day of school. I arrived 15 whole minutes early to pick him up just because I wanted to be first in the car pool line and show all the other kids whose mom loved them the best! So I pull up close to the front of the line, and I get this little tap on my window. I roll it down and the car pool lady says, "I'm so sorry. I noticed you don't have a number on your front windshield."
I respond with, "What number? I didn't know anything about a number? What is this number thing?"
Car pool nazi sends me in to the front office to go register for a number. I head back out to the minivan, still parked in the front of the school, put my number in the windshield and look at the clock. Whew, still 3 minutes to spare.
Another tap on the window. I roll it down again to find car pool nazi smiling awkwardly. "I noticed you got a number."
Me: Yes.
Nazi: I'm so sorry. You have a blue number and this is the gold lane. I'm going to have to ask you to move.
Me: Where am I moving to?
Nazi lady points down the street and around the corner and half-way through the city where cars are piled up waiting.
Me: (speechless)
I pull to the end of the hideous line where I wait until 10 minutes after school has let out before I even move 6 inches and then another 15 minutes until I get back up to the school to pick up my little first grader who has now been waiting 25 minutes. I'm in the right lane, paid my dues and I can't find my son. I finally roll down the window and ask J.'s teacher where he is. She answers, "Oh, he is sitting inside the gym because you didn't have a carpool number."
I am not making this up. Not one line of it. I had to park the car, take the kids out, haul *&# into the school where my child is sitting in the middle of the school gym looking a little dazed. The funny thing was...there wasn't a single adult in sight to "check" him out or verify that I had complied with the very complex school car pool number legislation. We just walked right out.
J: Mom, why are you so late?
Mom: It's a long story J. but I want you to know something. Despite what it may seem, your mom really does love you the best!
7 comments:
That is so funny! A car pool number? Well, at least it should be organized, right? You are making me nervous. S. starts kindergarten next week, and is very excited. I hope it goes as well for him and your J.
oh i hate long lines! but that story was funny. so many rules and regulations. and the blue lane and the gold lane, that is a little rediculous! i would have done that same as you:)
Too Too funny. Movie kind of funny
Heart breaking--stupid numbers.
That is a hilarious story! Didn't something like that happen in that movie Mr. Mom? There was that old lady that made him role down the window so she could ask "You're new at this aren't you?" Well duh! Live and learn I guess!
We also have the carpool number conundrum at our school.
It must be a charter school thing.
So hilarious! I've never heard of such a thing:)
Post a Comment