Today is storytelling day. I have a fabulous fairy tale to share with you and I promise a happy, spectacular ending. Get your favorite blanket, maybe a bowl of delicious popcorn, and curl up in your chair. Here we go…
Once upon a time, many years ago, there lived a fair maiden. Not only did this maiden have great legs, fabulous hair, and a winning smile, but she also had brains. She was smart…so, so smart. And talented. Loaded with looks, talent, great legs, drive, and ambition, she left her kingdom of St. Louis and set out for the wilds of Provo, Utah. There she entered the kingdom of BYU and with courage and fortitude, set about to change the world. But sometimes dreams unfold a little differently than we plan. She worked hard, she studied, and she succeeded. Everything was on track…until the prince entered.
It did not take her long to realize he was a prince…and not just an ordinary prince. You see, in the kingdom of BYU, there were lots of "ordinary" princes. But to find a prince like this one…she knew she was in trouble. The princess fell madly in love but had a decision to make. To marry the prince meant changing her immediate dreams. To not marry the prince meant losing her life long dream. She did not hesitate…and to the grandest of all castles they traveled and wed. Not once did she look back. She embraced her new future with all the tenacity, passion, and courage she had always shown. And a new adventure began.
The princess and prince were now a king and queen and they had a family…a rather large family. They raised 7 children. Each child was blessed abundantly by their parents. No gift was spared. They were given physical, emotional and spiritual gifts that would bless their lives beyond measure. This queen traveled to foreign lands with small children, learned the language, embraced the culture, and charmed people with her strength of character and determination. She saw 7 children through the jungles of public education. She served and taught and led troops in so many different capacities and positions. All 7 of her children graduated from college with bachelor’s degrees. One child earned a doctorate degree and 3 received master’s degrees. Four children served full-time missions. All 7 children married in the temple. She truly has been a queen.
Several years ago, just as she knew she would one day do, the queen returned to the dream of her youth. She returned to the kingdom of BYU to finish what she had started so many years before. It was frought with challenges and diversions but she held to her course. She entered this new challenge a queen with life experiences to strength and carry her. And with even greater intellect, cuter legs (if that is even possible), and just as much determination, she finished her quest. And it was great cause to celebrate.
And so our story comes to a type of ending…but just of a chapter, not of the epic tale. My mother, at age 58, graduated with her bachelor’s degree from Brigham Young University last weekend. All 7 of my siblings as well as a few in-laws and grand children, watched her walk across the stage in the Marriott Center and accept her diploma. We clapped, we cheered, we yelled insanely (even though we were told not to) and many of us wept tears of joy and gratitude for this queen among us. Each of us, especially as we grow older, are mindful of the numerous sacrifices she has made to help each of us children achieve in our lives. She has sacrificed much. And even know she continues to give us amazing gifts. I hope my children never forget the sight of their grand mother in her cap and gown. I hope somewhere in their minds and hearts they understand the legacy of learning they have been given…not just in temporal things but in spiritual things as well. I hope they continue to watch my mother serve and learn and sacrifice and understand what a queen among women she is. She is a gift. And because of her and my father, we truly have reason to believe in ever after and happy, happy endings. It’s what the gospel and families are all about.
Happy Graduation Mo! I love you!
(P.S. Once again, I’m without photographic proof. Once I saw Spencer documenting the events, I put away my sad, old camera and pray that he will send pictures. Please travel to Mo or any of my sibling’s blogs. They have documented it beautifully!)
7 comments:
I love your story and it's happy ending! It truly is such an accomplishment. I am glad to know her.
So cute! Hats off to your Mo!
I totally have an Aunt justlike that Queen!!
So happy for all of you-- and that you were THERE!
Okay, that brought tears even to my eyes...and I only believe about half of what you say! You are too too kind, no really. Thanks for your encouragement to do it! You always pushed me on! I'd like to thank the academy, and my children.....etc
I was there! I was there! and it was spectacular and special and they are amazing! I will miss them so very much...I might just be calling my siblings more often when they are gone.
So proud of your mom! Holy cow. What a great example to you, and your children. Tell her I am cheering for her, too!
I love good fairy tales...and this was a perfect one. Thank you for sharing your parents story...I love them. They are incredible examples of how the gospel and its order of things brings so much joy. You're so great, Amy...one of the amazing heiresses!
Post a Comment