More of these...
Less of this...
Today I threw a very impromptu birthday party for a dear, wonderful friend! Her birthday was last Saturday and it just hit me this week that this was a woman who needed a party. And party we did.
I got on the phone. I called friends...wonderful friends. I told them to drop everything they were doing and come eat lunch. And they did. I went to Costco and got croissants, chicken salad and big, huge, enormous cupcakes. Friends brought salad, apples and caramel dip, pumpkin bars and macaroons. And by golly...we got ourselves together and had ourselves a feast. HB gave everyone sparkly, rhinestone crowns that we found in the Halloween box and I broke out the leaf cups, plates, and napkins. It was a delicious lunch for a Thursday afternoon. And it was a party. A party for a spectacular lady...a party for a group of spectacular ladies because who couldn't use more parties and less housework? As I drove off toward the school to go read to a class of adorable 1st graders, I felt so full and satisfied...not just physically, but emotionally and spiritually. I once asked my dear friend, who was born and raised in Bolivia, what she missed most about her country and her response has stuck with me for some time now. Of all the things to miss, she said what she missed most was the relationship women enjoy there. Every day her mother would prepare lemonade and a treat of some sort for the friends that would stop in to visit. Not scheduled, not planned and yet expected and welcomed. Everything would be set aside for a friend. And the day would be a total success...not because all of the housework was done and the "to-do" list checked off but because the most essential, important things in life had been attended to. Your relationships...your friendships...your life lines secured.
I wake up every day with a calendar FILLED with things that need to be done. I have endless to-do lists taped to cupboards and cabinets and the refrigerator. I'm always jotting things down. And sometimes I feel like if those lists aren't completed, then I haven't succeeded in my day. If someone stops by or calls, I've been interrupted. Time is ticking and my list is waiting. But do you know what is funny? My lists are always there. And they aren't good friends...they cause me stress and make me ignore things that are really more important and once I cross something off the list, it usually goes right back on because it needs to be done again. I go to the grocery store and as I'm unloading the groceries, I think of something I forgot and then I start a new list. The laundry gets washed, folded and put away and before the day is through, there is new laundry to be washed. Do you see what I mean? The list is endless.
But today my friends and I had a party in the middle of the day and it changed my whole attitude for the rest of the day. I felt happy and relaxed. I'd eaten a cupcake at 1:00 p.m. and it was pure delight! Lunch only took about 90 minutes but what a gift. I laughed, I listened, I talked, and I felt truly uplifted. So here is my new motto...more cupcakes, less laundry. Maybe not literally but metaphorically. Every day I want to sit and really talk to a friend. I want to talk to a friend with nothing but my friend on my mind. I want to sit as long as she needs me to sit and I want to walk away feeling like I've really listened. I don't want to care about what didn't get done. I want to care about what REALLY got done and how it changes me. I want more cupcakes at noon and more parties on a Thursday and I want to care less about how clean my house is. I want to care more about people than errands. I need better balance.
So to all the women who came and ate cupcakes today, thank you. I appreciate all of you. I'm so blessed by your friendship. I'm so blessed to live in this neighborhood. I'm so blessed by your joy and many gifts. Please feel free to stop by anytime...I'll have the lemonade and treats ready.


11 comments:
That's why you are the oldest sister, you are so wise.
I could go for more cupcakes in my life and parties on Thursdays.
Can we make that motto into a vinyl sign to hang up? It would sell at Deseret Book, I think! Thanks for the great insight-- you are totally right:)
That is what I miss most about living near you (and all of my sisters). I always felt like I could stop by any time and take a break from the grind. We always found something good to eat and shared our stories and woes.
I could use more cupcakes, too. I'm already ignoring the laundry today, so I'm half way there!
great motto to live by, i am a hermit sometimes at home just "getting things done". something for me to work on for sure!
As someone who is living by my lists of things to get done before I have to leave the country for three years, I really like your idea. Bring on the cupcakes!
i love it! i really do need to move out there...i think we could enjoy a lot of cupcakes together! those darn lists are so endless...isn't it liberating to let it all go for a day and have FUN!?
It's what I miss about living nearby too. We could always stop in on each other and pick up helping where needed--or "eat cupcakes" instead if that's what was called for. I miss you!
See, and that's why I love you. I definitely need more cupcakes and less laundry in my life...especially on a Thursday. Thank you for this reminder. I needed it.
And, I just finished a fabulous book, The Guernsey Literary and Potato-Peel Pie Society...Loved it. Loved the main character. She wrote just like my friend, Amy Oscarson Carr. Just love that girl!
As one of the lucky cupcake eaters, I say Amen! Thank you for following through with a grand idea, for celebrating a gracious lady, and for being a joy to spend a Thursday with!
Please don't forget to invite me to all your parties, I'll make the commute!
This is so true! Thanks for the reminder to take time for what's really important. I may just go get some cupcakes myself. :)
I totally love this! Thank you for the perspective! My dear friend from
Scotland once told me the same thing about her homeland... A few things we can learn from!
Post a Comment