Monday, October 12, 2009

My Gift




Seven years ago I was handed a gift.




I received the gift a little early...5 weeks to be exact. It caught me completely off guard. Scared me to death and then took my breath away with the sheer beauty and joy of it. For 7 years this gift has brought me joy. Not the fleeting kind like the toy you get on Christmas morning and forget about by Christmas night. Not the kind that breaks or ends up in the trunk on the way to DI while the kids are at school so they won't know it is gone. No, this gift is permanent. A forever gift. Doesn't get any better than that.





Moments after my Matthew was born, the doctor brought him over for me to see for the first time. (C-section...) I looked at that face and cried. The doctor asked me if we had a name picked out and without really remembering when it was we had chosen the name, I answered Matthew. She asked if I knew what that name meant. His name means "gift from God". It truly was meant to be his name.






Matthew had several health challenges during the first 2 years of life. When he was born, he had not suck/swallow reflux. He was failing to thrive at 2 weeks and had to be whisked to an occupational therapist to learn how to eat. On top of that, he had terrible acid reflux. Next was RSV followed by terrible ear infections, tubes, respiratory infections and complications, clogged tear ducts, abnormalities with the facial bones resulting in tubes that had to inserted in his little eye ducts, a hernia in the "nether regions", etc. And yet if you asked me to describe my baby boy, he was sweet and patient and gentle. Time after time I had doctors comment on his disposition. I had the strong sense that despite the discomfort and downright misery of some of these conditions and procedures, he knew and understood that people were trying to help and care for him. He was snuggly and giggly and had big round cheeks that made me want to gnaw on them and big, big blue eyes. Oh, he was delicious.




So where have 7 years gone? He is every bit as delicious. He still has round cheeks but I suspect he'd be violently opposed to me gnawing on them. His eyes are just as big and blue and they still make my heart skip a beat when he looks at me. His hair is thick and wavy and full of cowlicks. He is strong...physically, emotionally, spiritually. Matthew is filled with imagination. He loves to play. He is very social. It physically hurts when he doesn't have a party going on around him. He loves his friends. He is smart. He knows so much about so many things. (I won't tell you how he was telling me all about Mesopotamia the other day and after I finished nodding and saying "Wow", I had to go google it. Pathetic.) He is tender hearted. Matthew always worries about where everyone is and how they are doing. He doesn't leave for school every day until he has hugged and kissed me and told me he loves me. Then he blows kisses and waves until the car turns the corner. Every morning at 7:00 a.m., he comes and climbs in bed next to me and we snuggle. He still loves to snuggle. And he loves grandmas and grandmas and uncles and aunts and cousins. He loves his dad and brother and sister. He loves stories and light sabers and riding his bike. He is adventurous and fearless. He wants to do what is right. He is very, very picky about his clothes. He is a constant source of wonder and joy in my life. I am so grateful for this gift. Every single day.






Happy birthday my boy! You have made me so happy. You make me love being a mother. I love playing with you and being with you and loving you. You are a joy!






P.S. We had a fabulous birthday party! Matthew chose the theme and laid out all the details. We had a "Harry Potter and Goblet of Fire" birthday party that involved 18 guests (did I mention my boy is very social?), wand making, potion mixing, cupcake decorating, dementor tag, dragon duels, obstacle courses, and a trip at the end to Honey Dukes candy shop? Yeah, it was fun. With Matthew, it is never, ever boring. But remember how my camera broke last August? Still not fixed...or replaced. So you will just have to put on your little mental caps and imagine all the fun. And if you hate that, I'm accepting donations for a new camera. If you see my wealthy benefactor, tell him/her they better get in gear. I've got needs!


9 comments:

Emma Jo said...

Oh sweet, sweet boy...how we miss out on these cousins of ours that I know we would just eat up!! Happy birthday boy (even though your very bad aunt didn't call and tell you so.)

katyvee said...

Oh how I love Moms that really truly LOVE their kids. Not just love em' like, "I'm the Mom, therefore.. I love them".. but enjoy and treasure and cherish who they are. I share in your awe at the 4 little gifts running my household.. and wish your Matthew in paticular a happy-happy day! And your party sounds fantabulous-- pics or no pics.. I love the ones you posted!

Suzie Petunia said...

What a sweet tribute for a sweet boy! I am so glad we all get to share in your wonderful "gift"! Happy birthday, Matthew!

chellae said...

We love you, Matt. What a cool party. So fun that our boys share birthdays.

Abby said...

It was such a fabuous party! Had I been more mentally aware that day I would have taken more pictures to show off just how cool it was! Shame on me! Thanks, Matt [and family] for the fun. We love you!

jenlivi said...

You have such a beautiful way of putting things. I had forgotten all about Matthews health challenges as a baby. Don't you think the fight to help him makes him even more endearing? Keep blogging, your posts inspire me.

mo said...

Oh sweet Matthew. He is a keeper and I can't stand the thought of not seeing him for three years!

Thunell Family said...

I can't think of a better gift than your Matthew. He is wonderful. You are such a sweet mommy...can just feel it.

His birthday party sounds fantastic! Oh, you all are so clever! Love to you all.

Leese said...

what a lucky little boy to have such a loving, wonderful mom! what a sweet (and charmingly handsome!) boy...the party sounds like it was amazing! i'm working on a new camera fund of my own...sorry i can't contribute to yours :(