Saturday, December 26, 2009

Twas the Night Before Christmas

Twas the night before Christmas...

Actually, it all started 4 nights before Christmas when over the river and through the woods to Carrie and Todd's house we went,
The Dad knows the way
To guide the van-sleigh
Through the icy I-15 road.

It was fabulous...a Christmas smorgasbord of delights...and a final decadent party to say good-bye to a home we have known and loved for so many years. A final toast to a home that has held and fed and entertained the masses with grace and beauty through so many events...and here's a toast to the new home that will always be our favorite place to be if Carrie and Todd are there.


 
There is no hostess in the world like this festive lady! And I truly can say that I don't know another soul in this world that can wear a poinsettia headband and look this pretty! I would look like an enormous potted plant...she looks like a Vogue model!



There were meatballs made out of bison (surprisingly delicious...and very healthy!), potato casserole made out of nothing healthy, spinach dip, red cabbage, delicious veggies and yummy fruit salad...it was delicious.



And as always, the house was decorated with lovely flowers, white lights, candles, and Christmas splendor!

And then the party continued on Christmas Eve...I felt selfish. I didn't have to choose which fabulous people to spend the night with...they all came to me. Chris' family and my family...all in one place. I didn't even have to leave my home! It was a fun night.

Of course, we started with the food. Now this was a little break from tradition...since we had eaten our Swedish Jul Bord a few nights early, we decided to venture out and try something new. We had a great big turkey bird...but don't despair...there was lots of spinach dip!


I adore this woman's passion for spinach dip. She loves it with an intensity and depth that speaks to my soul. It was bountiful and delicious!


My beautiful niece who is not only gorgeous, but so much fun! I love to imagine how high school and college would have been with her looks AND fabulous personality!



After dinner, we gathered for the traditional acting out of the nativity. CayLynne came prepared with an amazing container of nativity costumes to fit every size and personality. I was playing the piano so my back was to the "stage"...it got really raucous when the wise men and sheperds showed up. Here Mary and Joseph are waiting serenely with their horse "Little Ed" hanging over the manger.


The party really got moving when those angels appeared. And you have NEVER heard the chorus of "Angels We Have Heard On High" sung with more gusto. It was loud and very glorious.



The wise men were very buff and good-looking. They brought a very modern edge to the nativity with the tinsel and "bling" of the Fancy Nancy crown. I adore my nieces and nephews who are fabulous participants in whatever is going on. Wise men in a nativity with a bunch of little kids?? No problem...pass the tinsel.



Members of the star studded cast. They were amazing!



I read a few stories from the Carr family binder. We finished with an amazing entry by Juli, who passed away last August from an 8 year battle with cancer. The first Christmas after she was diagnosed, she wrote an entry for our family binder about her experiences and blessings. It is a powerful testimony to those of us still facing trials and adversity. I was so grateful for this amazing gift!

Then Chip shared a little story about the Swedish tradition of the Jul Tomten...and while he was talking, the kids started staring out the window into the cold, snowy night to see if they could spot a lantern coming toward the house. And lo and behold, look who showed up at our house...



Jul Tomten!!!

So I married into a family that is completely unphased by the request that their college freshman son come to the family Christmas party and dress up like a Swedish troll and deliver presents. And as if that weren't a big enough request, my sister-in-law calls back later that afternoon to say she has found and purchased a bathrobe that she will make some quick alterations to so it can be a jul tomten coat. AND he had a fabulous long beard AND a hat AND he knew how to say "Merry Christmas" in Swedish! I truly could not adore my in-laws more.



He brought all the kids new pajamas and the adults received candy and necklace pendants. The kids were enthralled...and Jul Tomten did a fabulous job. It was hands down my favorite event from this Christmas. Thank you Stephen!!



Presents in pillowcases...and then he mysteriously disappeared again into the cold, snowy night.



Then...twas the night before Christmas,
When all through the house,
Not a creature was stirring,
Not even a mouse.

(P.S. Just a small note to the  mouse that left feces in my garage...if you EVER step one little paw onto this property again, I WILL let Squeakers, the neighbors ferocious cat, hunt you down until you wish you were never born. Let that be a warning to you...foul little rodent.)



The stockings were hung by the chimney with care,
In hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there.



The children were nestled all snug in their beds (or on the floor...curled in a ball)





While visions of sugarplums danced in their heads.

And Mama in her kerchief and I in my cap,
Had just settled down for a long winter's nap.

When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter.

When what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But a good looking man wearing a Santa cap.




This was SO my lucky night.

Lucky for me, he didn't smoke a pipe (it makes me cough SO bad) and he didn't have a round little belly that shook when he laughed like a bowlful of jelly...although those kinds of bellies are darling as well.

He spoke not a word but went straight to his work,
And filled all the stockings; then turned with a jerk,
And laying a finger aside of his nose,
And giving a nod he said,
"Hey, do we have anymore of that delicious Christmas trifle?"







Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!


It was a glorious Christmas.



Filled with homemade splendors...


And wonderful packages from abroad (thank you Mo and Papa!)


Sweet gifts...


And scary gifts...



This is where we honor the sausage roll, scrambled cheesy eggs and cranberry juice. I look forward to you all  year!



Happy  Holidays to one and all! Hope it was magical and filled with joy!

7 comments:

Emma Jo said...

I am sooo glad that I wrote my little Christmas entry before reading this because now I take it all back...I WISH I HAD BEEN THERE TO CELEBRATE WITH MY FAMILY!!! not that making a whole spread of Christmas eve feast for my four little (unknowingly ungrateful) children wasn't satisfying and all, but I'm just sayin. There was NO spinach dip in CT this season. It was a travesty, really.
Is it too late to be adopted by you?

katyvee said...

Me too! Me too! Can I be YOUR daughter next year?? Being the grown-up isn't quite as magical. Decent and festive and all.. just not as magic-ish.
Reading that was just delightful.. (and made my otherwise seemingly above-average holiday --look LAME!! NO ONE I know wore a pointsettia headband.. and there was not a one bearded man with lantern!)
Loved it all!

Abby said...

Stella and I were enthralled. She made me explain every picture! And have you painted that front room since I was there last? But more importantly, I loved seeing your Christmas festivities and feeling ever so slightly like I was there. I missed you all a lot! Love you and Happy New Year!

mo said...

A most satisfying Christmas post indeed. I am so gratified to see how many of our Christmas traditions have made their way into your repetoire! I know how much work it takes to pull all of that off and you did it wonderfully. The tomten is a wonderful addition although his beard was disturbingly long....I hope it didn't get into that delicious looking spinach dip! Your kids look like they had a magical and wonderful time and that is what it is all about. Thank you so much for documenting all of it! We wish we could have been there for the magic!

www.mostblessedman.blogspot.com said...

I am happy to hear your Christmas was magical.

Suzie Petunia said...

What a wonderful account of a perfect Christmas! I wish I could have been there for it all... especially all of that good food, and Jul Tomten. What delights! Thanks for sharing with me.

M-L said...

Thank you for such a great Christmas eve with your family!