Dear Queen of Denmark,
I was at your castle today. It was lovely...although we were so disappointed to learn you were gone for the day. We understand you have royal duties but we were so hoping to pop in for a chat and maybe an orange Fanta. We had a couple of things we needed to discuss with you. First of all, we toured the Crown Prince's new digs...I don't know what to say. Maybe Denmark needs to throw a little more money and training at their interior design programs. Modern, funky art with gold trim and pink paint just doesn't match. I don't mean to be petty but really...not only did the paints colors not match but the styles were a terrible mix. If you'd like some suggestions, let me know. A simple trip to Ikea might have solved lots of problems.
Second, this is the 2nd time I have been to the Little Mermaid statue and both times I have spent an extraordinary amount of time trying to find a bus to take me and my sore little feet back to my hotel. Could I just recommend a bus stop right next to the statue? I don't mean to be demanding but seriously...how much can an out-of-shape American tourist be expected to endure?
Well, and since we're on the topic...I brought my children all the way from America for a "once in a lifetime experience" only to discover that the one old thing they were excited to see (The Little Mermaid statue) is spending some time at the World Expo in China. It was a little disconcerting. When we stopped to ask a lady where the statue was, she said it was gone but there was a little pile of rocks with a lady sitting on them making her husband take her picture. We opted out.
Other than that, we have had a lovely time. We walked all the way up Stroget with the Rick Steve's travel book in our hands. Rick Steve's does a fabulous job but he does have occasional funky taste in what to veer off the beaten path to see. Don't get me wrong...the escalators at the Kongen's Nytorv metro stop were fascinating to my children...they do love a good, long escalator ride...but I don't know if I'd go out of my way next time. Actually, my 7-year old was mortified and called me crazy when we were done. He REALLY didn't get it.
We walked up to the top of the Round Tower, saw the amazing original Christus statue and the magnificent marble sculptures of the 12 apostles, saw Nyhavn, ate ice-cream that tasted just like frozen cream on a homemade waffle cone, bought some shirts at H&M, watched a creepy street performer, had hot dogs from a cart, chased pigeons, took our picture on Hans Christian Andersen's knee, peered through the fence at Tivioli, and walked so long and far that we literally made my 9-year old cry...really. Which brings us full circle back to the bus issue...if only there had been a bus by that lonely pile of rocks by the sea. But now I'm just being a nag...
Your city is so beautiful. We have thoroughly enjoyed our day. Any chance the danish government would be willing to spring for some Dr. Scholl's air gels?
Love,
Amy
7 comments:
Oh, dear! You really wore out those kids, huh? Are they ready to come back home? I am so glad you have had the adventure of a lifetime! I can't wait to see more pictures.
What's that about cream on a cone? Yes, please! I'll remember my motorized cart when I visit Denmark. I'm still baffled by that Oprah where they talked about it being so safe there that you can leave your baby in the street to nap in the outdoors...were there unattended napping babies everywhere? Just curious.
I'm just so relieved to know that you made it back to your hotel. I have been feeling guilty for two days that we desserted you all in Roskilde so far from Copenhagen! We loved traveling all over Sweden and Denmark with you all! It was so satisfying to see you loving your return to Denmark and to realize just how much you loved your mission. It was a chance of a lifetime to see where you served and hear the stories. I was doing okay about missing your kids until we walked up to the front porch, when we got home, and I saw the walking sticks still by the front door! We miss you! Be safe and have a wonderful last two days in your adopted Motherland! Give the kids a hug and tell them we miss them!
Chip says: "shocking, if ever I needed evidence that globalization is bad, then this is it. Down with the WTO! the IMF! and exposition in China!"
I am so so sorry that the famous mermaid was not gently soaking her fins in her brackish native waters.
I know about the lacking of the bus system in Copenhagen and walked long walks too. It is hard with kids at times but oh! so beautiful.
Good grief what is the Little Mermaid doing in China? Sounds lovely otherwise and since I am going to England in 3 weeks and doing a lot of walking I think I will visit Dr. Scholls Have a safe trip. We love your adventures.
I still cannot come to grips with the Little Mermaid visiting an expo in China. And if that wasn't strange enough, are you guys going to be able to get home with Icelandic volcanoes blowing ash all over Scandinavia?
Your adventures sound like so much fun. Jim and I decided we'd save up and take our kids to visit CayLynne and Garth for our next ex-patriot adventure. OH, and you didn't have to go all that way to buy shirts at H&M. I've got one down the road here at the mall. Just come see us! Good luck with the the whole volcano thing. Andrew has been mesmerized by volcanoes for a while and now that they have actual live shots of the the ash and lava, he is in love! Sorry to see it causing so much headache. Best of luck getting home soon.
Post a Comment