Hello friends!
I am writing to invite you to a little adventure my kids and I have decided to have this summer! We have discovered a really fun way to have some fabulous "treasure" hunts that provide hours of fun, cost no money, and are filled with a different adventure every week!!! It is called LETTERBOXING!
For all the info, check out http://www.letterboxing.org/
Here are the basics...all around the country, in most states, there are people that hide these very simple boxes called letter boxes. Inside the box are a rubber stamp and a log book. Your goal is to find these letterboxes! Most times they are hidden in places that are really fun to discover and explore...here in Utah they have them all over. Hikes, interesting places to visit, fun places to eat, etc. When you go, you take your own "signature" rubber stamp and your own logbook. When you find the box, you leave your stamp in the letterbox log to say you were there and then you take the letterbox stamp and stamp YOUR logbook as a record of all the boxes you have located and adventures you've had. And along the way you find some fascinating new places to explore, hike, and play in! Sound fun?
This week, my kids and I went to Roberts and I had each child choose their very own stamp that would be their "signature". We also bought simple notebooks and lots of stickers and spent the afternoon decorating our "log books". We are ready to go and would love to have lots of friends along on the adventures we take. We are considering having one day a week where we pack a lunch and go letterboxing. Depending on which letterboxes we decide to do, it will either be several in the same area, or one that is a little bit more of a "hike" or "adventure". We promise wherever we go, there will be lunch and lots of playing!
If you would be interested in coming along, let me know and I will create a simple email list to let everyone know the day, time, and where we will be going so you can decide if it is an adventure you would like to participate in (and one you feel your kids can handle/enjoy!). I will simply send the email out each week and you can come or not based on your schedule. We've never done it before so this is a new adventure/experiment for our family!
If you don't leave close by, check out the website and go find your own nearby adventures! The fun part is that they are all over the United States so no matter where you travel this summer, you can go treasure hunting for letterboxes!
Please feel free to forward this to anyone you know that might enjoy this experience.
Our first adventure will be this FRIDAY, June 11th at 11:00 a.m. We will plan on doing 3-4 letterboxes that are close by. We will end up at a park for eating and playing. Bring your kids, bring your stamps and logbooks, and come have an adventure.
xo,
amy

6 comments:
Okay, this sounds really fun! Wish I could tag along. Do you know how many fun rubber stamps I have hidden away in the depths of my storage units? I could have been such a good resource. Oh, have fun!!!
Sounds so much fun that I'm doubting I'm 39! Enjoy your summer!
JUST when I think ya can't get any MORE clever and creative.. YA DO!
(I just have to know if you actually own.. and have read that oh-so-large "Letterboxing" book. Are there cliff notes??)
If your adventures ever bring you up hither here.. do call and we will join you merrily!!
Ok, this is very cool, but I just read the post before this and about died at the utter awesomeness of you as a mom. I want to be like that someday when I'm not tired, ok? What fun to be your children!
What a fabulous idea! I want to try, but life is already so crazy. We will check back often to see where you are going, and will for sure try to join in on some of your adventures. In the mean time, would you be offended if we copied you and did some on our own around us?? I love that I have amazing creative cousins that I can steal ideas from. I do however, try to give credit where credit is due!
I cannot believe that we are missing on all that fun!
Post a Comment