Sunday, August 08, 2010

On The Road Again

Last week was the annual "priesthood" campout for our ward...a time when all the boys and men gather in the woods to eat food they don't get fed at home, light fires and play games that only make sense if you possess the male gene. Because HB and I don't like hot dogs, fires, boy games, bugs, or sleeping outside (and we weren't invited!), we decided to hit the road again for an adventure of our own. This time, we headed south.


Carrie and Todd were gracious enough to invite us on their weekend jaunt to Las Vegas where 1 fabulous sister, 1 adorable niece, 1 creative birthday boy nephew, 1 hard workin' brother-in-law, and 1 cupcake delicious baby were having a birthday party/baby blessing. HB and I don't care for campouts but we are all over a party!!! I'd say we were experts...



We left on Friday and drove to Todd's parent's home where we were graciously welcomed and ushered into our sleeping quarters complete with cozy, soft bed and chocolates on the pillow. HB is a nightmare to sleep with...she talks and thrashes...but the accomodations and company were spectacular. I was even served a big, lovely sausage with eggs, orange juice, and amish bread for breakfast. I will definitely be making another reservation there soon!!

Saturday morning we headed to Vegas where we spent a good portion of the day loving on all these wonderful people who live there. That afternoon, we sent the grown ups off for pedicures and the kids and I headed off to Roberts Craft store in search of "robot" making materiasl. We stocked up on stickers, paint, pom-pom balls, glitter pipe cleaners and other robot-esque items. We then headed home to start making our diaper box robots. Now here comes the real adventure...

I consider myself a fairly competent adult. I have been the oldest child of 7, posses a degree in elementary education and a graduate degree in administration. I have taught school, primary, and managed to keep 3 children alive. So I boldly took our boxes and bowls of paint out onto the back patio and the 5 year old, 4 year old, and 2 year old began painting their boxes in shades of green, pink and orange. While we were painting, my husband called to ask me a quick question. I literally stepped right inside the sliding glass door to look something up on the computer...I was 2 feet away...my attention was diverted for maybe 60 seconds...and when I looked back outside, chaos had come to play. They weren't just finger painting, they were body rolling in the paint. It was in their hair, on their clothes, on their underwear, and all over their skin. It was plastered and baking to the white stucco patio in the hot Vegas sun. It was on the ground, sides, and railings. There were tiny pink footprints from the door into the bathroom. The sink was covered, the wall, the door knobs. I'm  not kidding when I say it was not a second longer than 60 seconds. It was unreal!




It was the biggest mess I've ever seen made...especially in 60 little seconds.

I panicked...after gathering some photo documentation, I grabbed the first child and dropped them into the king size bathtub in the master bathroom. I gave a firm, "Don't you move from here!" and ran back to grab child number 2 then 3. The water was flowing freely and greenly in the bathtub. They were giggling and laughing and I was muttering words under my breath that I didn't know I knew. I scrubbed and scrubbed and to my horror, the green paint was not washing off my niece and nephew. All I could think about was the baby blessing scheduled to take place the next day...with all the relatives and in-laws and extended family...and my sister's children were stained green. Little "Wicked" anyone?



I called my sister at one point to try and tell her what had happened but I was laughing so hard I couldn't talk. They had little green hands and feet...and there was pink paint in their hair. My sisters rushed home and Carrie saved the day by managing to get all that paint off the back patio. Hurray for sisters!!! It was such a memorable event. I completely lost control with 3 little kids and 3 jars of paint. We kept finding paint in the strangest places the rest of the day.

But the kids cranked out some amazing robot costumes...




And later that night there was Cafe Rio, a trip to Target, and children who were TOTALLY fake sleeping to try and convince the adults that sleeping in the same room was a good idea.

This is what was really going on in that room...



Lots of giggling...just the way a cousin sleepover should be.

The next morning there were 2 birthday boys fake sleeping waiting for breakfast in bed and presents. (I didn't appreciate until now how much fake sleeping we did on this trip!)


Cubby and Todd share the same birthday! It was a day of celebrations...and robots. Cubby had chosen robots as his birthday theme...and we made sure they were everywhere.





This was my favorite birthday moment...I think Boo was still a wee bit tired. She just there as wrapping paper flew all around her.

Can you believe I'm related to people that can whip together a cake like this???



I was in charge of hanging the robot garland.



Babs came with her festive bow...


and then when the party was really raging, she pulled out her bull hat?!



Oh how I love these babies!!

HB and I fell in love all over again...MR was amazing. Absolutely amazing!


There is nothing in the world that I love more than being a wife, mother, sister, aunt, & daughter. Thank you to all the people in my life who give me the opportunity to fill these roles. It is pure joy!

















































































































































































































































































































6 comments:

Abby said...

Oh, you have all the great pictures of the great paint fiasco of 2010. Must be why I didn't include it in my overview. My favorite part of those pictures is the green handprint on Cubby's crotch--a dead giveaway of the little boy compulsory grab. Thanks again for everything. I miss you!

Suzie Petunia said...

I know exactly what kind of fun you were having, because you take it with you wherever you go, Amy! You are such a FUN AUNT! Not to mention a loving aunt who dotes on those babies and showers them in snuggles and kisses. My kids all love you! What a fun sister time to celebrate birthdays and a baby. I wish I could have been there, too. (Except not for the messy painting part.)

mo said...

Whoa, that comments button is a long way down there! Thank you for sharing all the fun, giggly, silly details of a weekend I would have loved to have been a part of. You are such a fun aunt and sister. How did our family get so lucky to get you for the oldest child?

Carrie Ann said...

We had a good time, and I am SO glad you and Hannah came with us! You have amazing talents. You left with the kids to take them to a craft store and I seriously thought, "I could not do that." You have amazing energy. I got to go get a pedicure, so it was only fair that I cleaned up the paint. Let's do it again sometime!

Emma Jo said...

I want to come! Next time give me a call and I'll just mozy on over. You are hilarious and funny and adventurous and wonderful because you make lots of fun and then clean it all up.

Suzie Petunia said...

I am DYING to see back to school pictures of your kids! Where are they?? What, are you busy or somethin'?