1) JC has literally taught himself to play the piano. Despite his constant pleading, I have yet to provide him a teacher or instruction. I guess he just gave up on me and decided to take matters into his own hands. He dusted off the "Christmas Song" primer book that at one time belonged to Abby and Spencer and taught himself to play every song in the book. Then when I got home the other night, he showed me the music notation paper he dug out of the deep, dark recesses of the piano bench and played the song he had written entitled "Homecoming of a Soldier."
2) HB has written a play centered around the TV series "The Last Airbender", wrote 2 poems about some pieces of art work she found on the New York City's Museum of Modern Art website, and has started the second book in her princess series entitled, "The Princess and the Magic Ice Skates." She also mastered ice-skating this week and even taught herself to spin on one foot, a feat I have never mastered in 40+ years.
3) MC has started building the North Pole out of Legos, has taught himself the art of kung fu, can sing any song in perfect pitch with just about all the lyrics that he has heard only one time, and spent the afternoon holding a boxing match with his best friend complete with a bell that marked the beginning and end of each round. He also picked up ice-skating in 15 minutes flat and announced he wanted to be a famous hockey player.
I wish with all my heart I could take credit. I wish I could say I was this amazing parent that knew how to teach music, inspire poetry and writing, and had perfected the discipline of martial arts, ice-skating spins and architecture. I wish I had the talent that my children possess.
Instead I've decided to try desperately to stay out of their way. They inspire me to be more creative, take more risks, and be less afraid to try the things I secretly yearn in my heart to do. I have learned that determination and tenacity go a long, long way. Each of them are physically beat up from that little jaunt to the ice-skating rink but I'm amazed at what they figured out how to do! I love that they aren't afraid to sing at the top of their lungs, dance anywhere, do great art, and read their stories out loud. I love their imaginations, I love how different the 3 of them are, and I love that ordinary things like sticks and snow hats and instruments become magical tools in incredible new worlds.
HB unraveled an empty wrapping paper tube and became Rapunzel for a good 30 minutes tonight. JC is writing a nativity play that is quickly becoming a full Broadway musical, and MC has been singing "rap songs" that make me laugh really hard.
It just doesn't get more fun than this! Pass the play-dough...I've got myself a unicorn to sculpt!
HB's Poetry:
Starry Night by Vincent Van Gogh
I am the stars tonight,
I am the wind tonight,
I am sleep tonight,
I wish I am gentle tonight.
By HB Carr
Unique Forms of Continuity in Space by Umberto Boccioni
I am warm,
I am good,
I am super in the wind,
I am gold in the wind,
I am in the sun.
By HB Carr


3 comments:
Now that is great art in all its varieties. What talented children. Nice work.
Children living in an atmosphere that fosters that kind of creativity does NOT just happen.Hmm, I wonder who has created that wonderful environment for these extrememly creative and confident children. Could it be their mom? Maybe? I think so.
Please, their creativity definitely comes from their parents. Tell HB that when I saw that painting in real life, it was so beautiful that I cried. True story. I love her poems.
Post a Comment