Sunday, January 30, 2011

A Challenge!

Who wants to join me for a fabulous new challenge??? C'mon...raise those hands high! (If you are like my husband, starting a conversation with a line like that doesn't sit well. He refuses to raise his hand to anything until he gets ALL the details. Smart man.)


I have been thinking a great deal lately about 2 things.


First...I've been thinking about my blog. There have been several times that I have debated going private but every time I do, I feel like there is purpose in being able to share some of me with the world. My life is very ordinary but at the same time extraordinary. I am a woman who lives and loves the gospel of Jesus Christ. I am an imperfect wife in love with an imperfect husband. We have our ups and downs but our marriage is real and full of passion and love (those of you visiting over Christmas break got to see some of that passion...it can run in 2 very different directions). I am a mother to 3 amazing children. Really amazing. I love being a mother but I also struggle with all the realities of being a stay-at-home mom who sometimes feels  like she is going to bite the heads off the My Little Ponies if she has to play with them one more time. Blogging has provided an outlet for me to write, share, and feel validated in a million different ways. I faithfully read my family's blogs and love the connection it gives us to each other despite distance. I love my siblings and reading about the challenges and joys my sisters/sister-in-laws/nieces/cousins/etc. are dealing with. Blogging has made me feel less alone and less crazy. It has connected me with family, friends, and "cyber" friends that I may not have met in person but have nonetheless shared common experiences, emotions, and circumstances. Blogging has been a blessing in my life.


Second...I've been thinking about the goal I set at the beginning of the year to read my scriptures more faithfully with real purpose. I've been contemplating personal revelation and how I can better use the scriptures to address real questions, problems, or concerns in my life. My children and young women often come to mind...how can I help them better understand personal revelation and the subtle yet powerful workings of the Spirit? How can I share my testimony of the Book of Mormon and how it works miracles in my life? And then I had an idea....an idea that I think could be powerful...not only for us an individuals but for those that read and follow our blogs. So here is the challenge...


I bought myself a brand new Book of Mormon and a red scripture marking pencil.


I have spent several days thinking about and contemplating what it is that I really needed the Lord's help and inspiration with. And then I wrote it in the front of my new Book of Mormon.




"What can I learn [from the Book of Mormon] about being a better parent to my children? What divine guidance does this book provide about parenting?"


My goal is to try and finish the Book of Mormon by June 2011. I realize that may seem like a long time but I'm trying to be realistic and allow myself to read slowly and thoughtfully. Everything I mark in this copy of the Book of Mormon or write in the margins will relate to these specific questions at the beginning. And I would like to share my thoughts, feelings, and impressions about what I'm learning here on my blog.


I would like to invite those of you that are interested in joining me to take the challenge and post your journey on your individual blog.


I realize this may seem like too personal a thing to share in a public blog world and if you wish to take the challenge, then you may absolutely choose what the perameters look like for you personally. But here is my sincere hope and desire...I want to share my testimony of the Book of Mormon. I want to share how it affects me personally and give others the chance to see how this book changes my life daily...in real time. I want those that are interested in reading my blog to see what I'm learning and perhaps feel a desire to take a similar journey. I want to share how the Holy Ghost testifies and prompts and encourages through the pages of the scriptures and how individuals can change and learn and grow by following the Lord's commandments and counsel. I want to share how this book can indeed solve very personal concerns and problems and answer the deepest most sacred questions of our souls. And so we are going to get personal.


I would love to have you join me in this journey on your blog. Each time I post something from my reading and studying of the Book of Mormon, I will call that post "BOOK OF MORMON CHALLENGE: PARENTING" in my title. Those of you that would like to join me can let me know and I will create a special blog roll on my sidebar so we can all follow each other and benefit from each other's reading, studying, and pondering. As I stated before...feel free to set the bounaries you are comfortable with but I am hopeful some will choose to take the challenge. It definitely helps me stay on track and is so inspiring to read about and share in others journeys. It gives me ideas and insight I would never consider on my own. But please understand I am asking you to choose your own topic/question for reading and studying...I chose mine because it is what I feel that I need the greatest help with. But please choose your own topic. I love diversity!


Just to get you thinking, here is some food for thought. A wonderful talk given by Elder M. Russell Ballard about using the internet to share the gospel!


Sharing the Gospel Using the Internet

9 comments:

Anja OlergÄrd said...

Great idea, Amy! I'm currently reading (a new copy of) the Book of Mormon, underlining everything that shows the Savior's love. Very special reading. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time reading and learning from a mother's perspective. Personal searching makes the best scripture studying. Good luck!

mo said...

I may not join you in this specific challenge but I really look forward to reading about your journey in doing it. I think it is a great idea. I am convinced without a doubt that answers and revelation come only after we have sought and asked sincerely. How many times do we we see the "knock and ye shall enter, seek and ye shall find" scripture in the scriptures. Can't wait. I have been contemplating going private, too. I recently added a site meter and can't believe all the places in the world where people are reading my blog. Who are they and why? It is a little disconcerting.

Jessica said...

Amy,
I would love to join you on your reading adventure. I have been needing a little push to get me going. It is so easy to feel shut in during the winter. I don't get out, talk to people, etc, and then I get in this little funk. I need to focus on something besides how far behind I am on cleaning the toilets and the laundry. So, tell me exactly what I am supposed to do? Besides reading that is. Do I just comment on your posts?

Shar said...

oh this is awesome! now i need to go find a new copy somewhere. i am missing just running around the corner to distribution services. i do want to join in, though, so i'll figure it out!

chellae said...

I'm in. I read your post last night and spent the whole entire day today thinking about what my question is going to be. This challenge helps me in two ways (1)It will finally make me clean off my desk, like I've been saying for weeks, so I have a place that is all mine to sit down to read and think and ponder, etc. and (2)It will make me work a little harder to keep up on my blog. Since the beginning of the year I've felt a push to get back to my blog and this is a great reason to do it. Besides, I have a tendency to wear my heart on my sleeve a little anyway and only the committed have been keeping up on my less that regular blog posts over the last many months. So these thought will be nothing new to those who already know me and will be a blessing to those who maybe don't.

Last year I made a commitment to read the BOM before Symon was born. I read the bulk of it in the last six or seven weeks before his birth sometimes reading 11 or more pages a day. It was truly one of the MOST rewarding experiences of my life.Time is more of a premium now, but I look forward to that renewing spirit again.

So, the goal is to finish by June 1? I seem to function well if I divide up the number of pages by the the number of days to complete my goal.

When we are out in Utah for Cim's wedding we need to have a scripture power party.

Emma Jo said...

I love it! I have been thinking a lot about reading with specific questions to answer as well. This last time that I read (the 60 day challenge) I SOOO wish that I was keeping a log of all the scriptures I was reading that pertain and answer certain questions. Thank you for inspiring me to go ahead with it and do it!!
Love you!

CayLynne said...

Amy,
Can some of us lazy non-blogging people peak in at your hard work?
I know this isn't the format you had in mind, but can I also just make a little comment about a parenting insight I received from the Book of Mormon years ago? The very first verse of the Book is so often quoted, introducing us all to Nephi's "goodly parents." One day as I was reading this verse I noticed that within that very same sentence he talks about "having seen many afflictions" in the course of his days. I was hit over the head by the reality that being a "goodly parent" does not mean protecting my children from "afflictions." What if Nephi had missed out on the "afflictions" part of life? Would he have ended up with the sentiment,"O Lord, I have trusted in thee, and I will trust in thee forever"? Isn't that really what we want for our children?

Abby said...

Oh, I am blessed with amazing people for family. I like this. There will be another 60 day challenge for me toward the end of the year, so this is the perfect thing for the first part. I have noticed such a difference since finishing and not reading regularly. Crazy. And I need all the parenting help I can get. You are awesome. I am in!

Carrie Ann said...

How weird that I haven't seen this post... we are doing this challenge with my Beehive class this year! We did several "build up" lessons and then challenged them to think of a question they wanted an answer to, then we gave them brand new Book of Mormons (which they got to decorate... it IS Young Womens after all) and a pencil which is attached to the book. We will do follow up lessons throughout the year. Good luck!