Every single time that I walk into the airport, and I'm not kidding about this, I stop right inside the doors and do one of 2 things. If I am at the airport to pick someone up, I stop at the "departure" board and choose a destination...that place that if I had unlimited funds I would spontaneously hop on a plane and take off to. If I am at the airport because I'm LEAVING to go on a trip, then I stop, set down my luggage and take a deep breath of that "airport" smell...a cross between coffee, cinnamon rolls, and people. I love that moment because it is the start of a grand adventure. And while I know the basic details of the adventure, there are so many glorious unknowns. I love the unknowns, the parts of the trip that surprise and delight me, the parts that you could never plan.
I'm having an adventure...right now...this very minute.
On Tuesday afternoon, I boarded a Southwest flight that flew me from winter in Utah to perpetual summer in Orlando, Florida. I am here with 2 amazing friends attending the national
Core Knowledge conference. And having a wonderful time.
Wednesday we jumped on our Nimbus 2000 brooms and took off for an afternoon in Hogsmeade. It was so fun!
 |
| Hogwarts. |
 |
| Isn't it magnificent? |
 |
| I stopped first at Olivander's Wand Shop to pick up my wand... |
 |
| Did a little window shopping at the cauldron shop...I'm a sucker for a cute cauldron. |
 |
| I loved Zonker's Joke shop...what's not to love about chattering teeth? |
 |
| Can't go to Hogsmeade without stopping at Honeyduke's Candy Shop...it was glorious. |
 |
| Creepy...hope they catch that guy. |
 |
| Stopped at the Boar's Head for a butterbear slushie...delish. |
 |
| Mandrakes are scary little plants. |
 |
| Hogwarts was stunning...truly magnificent. |
 |
Met the conductor at the Hogwarts Express.
It really was an amazing experience! Hogwarts really looks like Hogwarts from the movie...Hogsmeade really is a village with little shops and fantastic things to look at. There are several rides but the highlight is the Harry Potter adventure ride inside of the castle. Even walking through Hogswart to get ON the ride is part of the experience. We walked through and saw all the main rooms and items from the movies...the entrance to Dumbledore's office, the Sorting hat, all the pictures on the walls talked, the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom, and Harry, Hermione, Ron, and Dumbledore talk to you!!! And the ride...oh my goodness...we played quidditch, flew on our brooms, fought against dementors, barely escaped a fire breathing dragon...it was unbelievable. I can honestly say I have never, ever been on a ride like it! I was so glad that we came to Harry Potter land!
And we also saw a few other things...
This rollercoaster was so upside down, topsy turvy, all around that I was afraid I was going to have permanent brain bruise.
I look so cool as Spiderman.
Big sandwich for lunch...
Dumb dog...
That was a close one...
That night we checked into our fancy-schmancy hotel and slept really well!
Today we have spent the day attending classes and workshops at our conference and I have really, really enjoyed it. I love education and curriculum and educators. There are some amazing things happening out at your local school...go ask them about it sometime...you'd be amazed.
Stay tuned...we have 3 more days...
|
5 comments:
I didn't know about that Harry Potter land! That is amazing and now I can never truly be happy until I have been there. I am thinking about applying for my boys for our Core Knowledge school here - Rocklin Academy - even though it's 25 miles away. It looks so great. Have fun doing something you love!
Amazing. Is it wrong that I want to do it without kids? It seems the sensible thing to do. I do hope you ate a jelly bean that tasted like vomit, or soap.
I can't wait to hear more!
That is too cool!
I had no idea this all existed outside of J.K.Rowling's mind! It sounds amazing. I wish I could tag along!
With no new posts, I can't help but assume you are still stuck in Florida. Where are you??
Post a Comment