Monday, December 12, 2011

Something New...

Wow. I'm WAY overdue for a new post. Hogwarts castle was great a month ago but I'm ready for something new. Let's start with this...

The remainder of my "business" trip to Florida was fabulous! Loved the Core Knowledge conference, loved being with 2 amazing friends, loved the "alone/grown up" time...I came home with my little internal teacup filled to overflowing. It was an incredible trip!

 We spent an afternoon hanging out at the Kennedy Space Center where despite NASA's best efforts to help the average American citizen understand rocket science, I still felt grossly underqualified and slow. I knew they were explaining everything as "simply" as they could and I still felt lost. But the rockets were really cool...and the astronauts were awesome...and we saw a real life alligator just hanging out in the pond by the memorial. THAT was a little creepy. Ducks in the pond...perfect. Frogs...interesting. Alligators...scary.



 There was a spectacular pool at the hotel we were staying at. We would take short breaks from the conference and go eat lunch or our snacks out there. One day after the conference, a friend and I headed down for a little R&R time and I fell sound asleep in the little cabana below. It was the BEST nap I have had in a long time...maybe years. It was warm and balmy, the palm trees were swaying gently, the Cuban music lending a decidedly exotic atmosphere, and the smell of tropical flowers wafting in the air. I'll be thinking about that nap for years to come.




I arrived back in Utah in time for my foot surgery. See that ginormous red ugly lump? It was a bone spur that completely stunned me when I saw the x-ray...a pirate's hook of bone. I like to think I'm somewhat gifted and talented when it comes to growing scary bone spurs...and it was 4 years overdue for being removed. Surgery went great, got to sit in my favorite blue chair for a few days and read books. Can't beat that.


 HB performed in the "pre-show" to a play being performed by our community children's theater. She was dressed up as a flapper and sang that song about an ant moving a rubber tree plant...darling.


 Thanksgiving was a true feast! Carrie and Todd know how to smoke a turkey and put on a party. Just look at that stuffing served in a steamed squash. Who does that? I'm so happy to be related to people who are experts at food.

 Carrie asked each of the nieces and nephews to provide the table decorations. They were all clever and charming...here is the bread basket in the shape of a wooden spoon turkey. Genius.


 The absolute hit of the party as far as the kids were concerned was the "drink bar". Carrie posted drink recipes and had a little set up that kept the kids entertained all day long. The kids were expert drink makers by the end of the day...I''m keeping the hard stuff away from these little slushs!




I loved this little Thanksgiving Day feast done by MC. I love the variety of characters sitting together in peace and harmony to drink away their cares and share a little meat...especially the guy with the two sided head.
 Food glorious food.

 And because I am an Oscarson, a picture of my plate full of food. It's just what we Oscarsons do.

 I was so surprised and enchanted with the "decoration" HB made...turkey name cards made from buttons and scrapbook paper. The girl is a never ending source of wonder for me!

 A little "after dinner/before pie" stroll around the lake...

 And please be impressed with the turkey shirt and hair accessory I just whipped up for my daughter while watching the  Macy's Day parade...it was a very inspiring parade.

 Next on the calendar was HB's birthday. How did my darling baby become so big?

 The boys and my husband spent the days leading up to her birthday designing and building a "French Cafe" for her birthday. It is so charming and darling...she was absolutely enchanted.

 HB chose to go to Build A Bear for her birthday gift with a little stop at the frozen yogurt shop afterwards.


 And of course there was cake and big brothers....



 Next...my birthday. I am 40ish...it all becomes a blur after 30.

 And suddenly it is December and we are opening the first gift of the season. We always get a new book to add to our collection. This year it was the Elf On a Shelf book that creeped my children out. JC swears he saw it blink, MC wouldn't sleep in his room, and HB announced it was the creepiest  little elf she had ever seen. Not the charming addition to the holidays we were hoping for...


 HB had a "Littlest Pet Shop" party that she literally planned and directed all by herself. Her and Chris designed the cake...a paw print with Littlest Pet Shops playing at the park on top. Thank heavens for my ultra talented husband. I'd be SUNK without him...

 And then a family party where we celebrated our birthdays by eating a big 7 layer cake from Costco.

 And it is getting late but I will come back soon to tell you how I got to be my sister's "birthing" partner in one of the miraculous experiences I have ever had. Carrie's husband was in Singapore (the country...in Asia...24 hours by plane from UT) when her water broke and I got to be there to see little OK come into the world. I don't know why I was granted this amazing experience but it will truly be something I treasure for the rest of my life. Carrie was AMAZING...brave, patient, gracious, strong. And my darling nephew is a miracle that filled my heart with so much joy the minute I laid eyes on him that I knew I would never be the same.





It has been a season of so many amazing miracles. I feel grateful for the tender mercies of the Lord every day in my life and for the rich opportunities and experiences he has granted me.

5 comments:

chellae said...

Fun, exciting, beautiful! Sigh. I wish we lived closer. Could you guys make arrangements to live on the East Coast on of these days? Just asking...

And congrats to Carrie! What a sweet joy to have in their home.

Suzie Petunia said...

What a month! You have the most interesting life of anyone I know.

Abby said...

That was happy. Thank you.

Emma Jo said...

I am overwhelmed, I don't know where to begin...naps in cabanas?! surgeries, cute toes, birthdays, cute gifts and a baby. So much good stuff.

Jaime Holst said...

OMG OMG OMG, Carrie is a MOM!! I am so happy for her. Please pass along a huge CONGRATS!