Thursday, October 11, 2012

The Sweetest Thing

Because we are earnestly enjoying a few days off school thanks to Utah's fabulous Fall Break, Chris and I took the family to see a movie tonight. The older boys had both brought their own money to buy treats for the show so Chris and I waited off to the side while Jake and Matthew went up to order. When they came to join us, Jacob handed me a box of Junior Mints (one of my VERY favorite treats!) and said, "Here Mom. I got these for you."

I'm not sure I have ever been more touched by a simple act of kindness from one of my children. He knew I had been craving Junior Mints for a couple of weeks and for some reason hadn't been able to find a box of them anywhere! And then he took his own hard earned money and bought me a box! Do you know how many chores he did to earn that money??! I fell head over heels in love with my boy all over again.

My sister Abby and I were discussing this week how hard it is to be a mom. Nothing can prepare you for the ups and downs, the frustrations, the joys, and the tender mercies. It is a job that you learn by doing it. I have never worked harder in my life at something...and sometimes I feel like a complete failure. And then there are glimpses of the men and women these children are becoming and I feel honored and humbled to be a part of their journey.

Jacob, thank you for my box of Junior Mints tonight. It meant so much to me. I am so grateful for the incredible young man you are and for the privilege of being your mother. From the moment I laid eyes on you, I adored you. You will always hold such a very special place in my heart. I am grateful every day for the things I see you doing and the astounding mind and spirit you possess. You are wonderful!

Tender mercies...

2 comments:

Emma Jo said...

So...I shouldn't tell you that I have three bags of mini boxes of Junior Mints sitting on my desk right at this very minute? Your boy is indeed, a sweet boy.

mo said...

Who knew a box of Junior Mints could mean so much? Way to go Big Guy! And Mom, you must be doing something right!