Thursday, September 05, 2013

My Bike

The following poem was written by my 7th grade son for an assignment in his English class...it may or may not have made me cry just a tiny bit this morning. It captures beautifully what it is like for a parent to watch their tiny child grow up...and the bicycle is a perfect representation of that process. I know he didn't mean for it to be all that...but maybe that is the beauty of poetry and literature and its flexibility to represent so many different things to so many different people.

Love you Jake!


Bikes
My very first bike
The bike with the tiny seat
The bike I raced with my friends
The bike the training wheels finally came off of
The bike I crashed on multiple occasions
The bike that got too small for me
My second bike
The bike with the tires that never seemed flat
The bike that seemed to like crashing into things that would land me lying on my stomach
The bike that reminded me all too often that stunt bikes and mountain bikes are different
The bike with pegs
The bike I also raced with my friends
The bike that rode down to the snow cone shack many a time
The bike with tires that just wouldn’t inflate
My current bike
The bike that I rode to the library
The other bike that’s been to the snow cone shack
The bike with gears
The bike with a bell.


No comments: