Here they are...our 5 beautiful children!

My oldest is suddenly becoming a "man" with his deep voice, wicked sense of humor, and amazing post-P.E. body odor that fills the car when I pick him up. His strengths and abilities seem to have no bounds. I am amazed at his fearlessness in trying anything. He is in 7th grade this year and marched into this brand new experience with a self-assurance and confidence that many people spend a life time trying to obtain. He ran for student council, participated with the drama club at the Shakespeare festival in Cedar City, is in the middle school play, was chosen by the math department as 1 of 10 seventh grade students to compete in the state math competition this March, was recognized this last week at a special awards ceremony at B.Y.U. for a high math score he received on an advanced math test and got in the car one day and announced that he had entered the school geography bee on a whim...and taken 3rd place!!!! He is constantly begging to go to the library to get new books because even though he checks out a stack each time, he devours them and is terrified of not having a book to read. I love his unique sense of style and his passion for all things Dr. Who (see the British suspenders above!). When I look at this picture, those are the things I see in the face of this great, big, wonderful boy of mine.
Oh, how I love, love, love this face! This is a boy filled to the brim and overflowing with passion...passion for soccer, passion for his family and siblings...especially the littlest ones... passion for his friends, passion for having fun. He has an incredibly tender heart even though he will claim to find most things his parents do as being incredibly "awkward". He has this unbelievable head of hair...thick and wavy and unruly...and I love seeing each morning how he chooses to style it. He has a style all his own...red skinny jeans, BYU sports jacket, soccer shirts, athletic warm up pants, fedoras, and anything Nike. This boy loves to play and being outside truly feeds his soul. I have watched him develop his skills in soccer with a determination and passion that has been inspiring to me. I love to watch him play because not only does he put his whole heart and soul into the game, but he truly loves the sport. No one in the world adores his littlest brother and sister more than this boy. His younger brother lights up when he walks in the room. This boy knows how to have fun and is so, so social. When I look at his picture I am reminded that he is a young man full of qualities I love, respect, admire, and aspire to.
What do I say about this beautiful girl who owns a piece of my heart and soul?! When I found out I was having a girl, I cried. I had this profound feeling that I had been lonely for her for a long time and that this was an announcement I had anticipated in my soul since leaving her side. The reunion was so sweet as I looked into her face for the first time and recognized her. She is blessed with so many gifts, talents and abilities. She is a talented author and illustrator with books and short stories and activity books and coloring books literally filling every nook and cranny of her bedroom. She is an amazing artist. Her imagination and enthusiasm is limitless. Other people are drawn to her for those reasons. She taught herself to play the piano and then began composing her own music. There are sheets of it spilling out of our piano bench. This girl has determination and is not afraid to let you know what she thinks and how she wants something done. She still craves snuggles and kisses and hugs every single day. Her favorite thing is to cuddle up next to me in my bed and have me read a story to her. She is sweet and sassy and adventurous! When I look at her picture I see so much potential in those eyes. This is a woman who has been sent to change the world, with a light that cannot be hidden.
As I lay in the hospital with my newborn girl baby, I remember being filled with a strong impression that there was another child...a boy. His spirit has lived in my heart for a long time. I knew he was out there, I knew he was mine, and I knew he was making his presence known so that I wouldn't be distracted and forget about him. I needed his strength of spirit because finding him would take time. But when I held him in my arms for the first time, I knew him. My entire soul, my entire heart recognized him because in some eternal, divine way, he had been with me for a long time. I also remember looking into his eyes for the first time and sensing an incredibly strong spirit. This little boy is filled with intensity and determination in every single thing he does. He is gifted with incredible physical and emotional strength and stamina. He is so, so smart! Every day I am amazed at how quickly he learns things and reminded at how much he knows. This boy loves his family. He loves his blue blankie and sippy cup of milk. He craves and demands to be held and snuggled and adored every single day. He plays hard. He asks for his older brothers and sister by name when they aren't home and lights up when they walk through the door. He spends the day loving on his new little sister and being amazed at how little she is and what she is learning to do. When I look at these pictures of my boy, I reminded that God is in charge, that families are eternal, and that love stories are real. This boy feeds my heart and soul every single day!.
And my precious, darling angel girl! As soon as we had Spencer, I knew there was another baby...a girl. It made my head explode a little bit to think this process we had just gone through to adopt Spencer was waiting for us again. But I yearned for her...I wondered about her. I prayed for her and I carried the dream of her in my heart for a long time. When Chris and I received that call at 11:30 a.m. one Sunday morning that a little girl had been born in Detroit, we knew instantly that it was her. Neither one of us could restrain the tears or the way our hearts jumped. I instantly became overwhelmed with the need to be with her, to hold her, to be where she was. This little girl is truly an angel. She is beautiful both inside and out. I have never had a baby like her...she is happy, smiley, content, patient, and so sweet. She has slept like a champion from the beginning. She wants nothing more in life than to be held and adored. I feel the strength and purity of her beautiful spirit every day. She makes everything around her beautiful. She makes people happy with her willing smile and darling dimples. She is content with such simple things. Bringing her home brought such a sweet spirit. She is loved and adored by every one of her older siblings. And every night when I sit in the big, blue chair with her, I marvel at the privilege and blessing it is to be her mom. I feel in my heart that one of her purposes in life will be to bring joy and peace to the world around her. What a gift to bring to earth! When I look at her picture, I feel such joy and such immense gratitude that she is mine and that I have the privilege of taking this journey with her. What an incredible blessing!
That is why these pictures are so important to me. They capture moments, they capture feelings, they are a reminder of who I am and what I want to be. These pictures speak to my soul of love and family and joy and peace. They remind me of what is really important.
Bringing Ava home was completing a circle...we knew every member of our little family was here and for the first time in a very long time, I felt my spirit sighing. I didn't have to wonder any longer...I could hold them and kiss them and be amazed every day as I watch the very individual journeys each of them are on.
Family is a joy!











5 comments:
Wow! Those pictures are amazing. They are all growing up so much. I wish we had a good picture place like that close by....so beautiful!
So sweet. Are you going to share your photographers information?
They are so amazing, and lucky to be in such a family. Every single one of them.
That was me.
What a wonderful family! And you totally made me tear up… I love your kids now too! Even though I've only really spent time with them on a few occasions. This probably sounds bonkers, but your descriptions of them made me wish each one could have been my best friend growing up. :)
Post a Comment