I have been contemplating the idea of an "educated" individual and what definition one would use to define someone as such. Is it a certain amount of schooling? Is it a certain number of life experiences? Does it involve passing basic college algebra the first time? I have spent a significant amount of time in the field of "educating"…first as an elementary schoolteacher, then as a graduate student of educational leadership and administration, and most recently as a storyteller at 2 public libraries. But this week a seemingly small moment with my 3 year old son proved what I have always really suspected…I really don’t get much at all.
My sister has a bathroom with an impossible light switch. It seems all backwards to me. I don’t have any problem turning on the right light switches in my own bathrooms but the minute I step foot into her downstairs powder room, I’m flipping on the fan instead of the light switch, cursing, trying to turn that one off while fumbling for the light switch, and then spending the next few moments sitting there trying to calm down and understand whether this ongoing saga is my problem or my sister’s problem. Yesterday I escorted my son into the bathroom where he reached up very calmly and flipped the right switch on the first time. I have to admit being a little stunned by his confidence in this matter but figured it was a matter of coincidence. A couple hours later I escorted the same son back to the same bathroom and stood aside to see what would happen. Once again, he entered the bathroom, stood on his tiptoes and calmly flipped the right switch on the first time. He didn’t struggle for a moment. There was no cursing, no near accident, and no extra time sitting in the bathroom trying to understand the complexities of life. Matter of fact, after the third bathroom trip he announced the room was a little "stinky" and reached up to turn on the fan.
I have 2 college degrees, a resume filled with work experience, and a number life experiences under my belt and I can’t figure out the light switches in my sister’s downstairs bathroom. Jake has 2 months of preschool, 3 years of life experience, and no resume and he has mastered this small piece of life without a moment’s thought. So tell me…who is really educated? I suspect it ain’t me.
4 comments:
I know you had your non-vag (at my urging, I assume)baby so where are the lortab-induced nursing-while blogging blogs? Let's go sister. You've got to get back on the horse--which will be much easier since you had a c-section.
PS I saw your comment on my blog, responded there, and am THRILLED to be a part of baby #3's birth story. Congratutions.
I am wondering what your son's resume would be like:
Jacob Carr
3 Years Old
Education:
Pre-school in my basement Sept 04 - Dec 04
Work Experience:
Picking up stuff before Monster Munchy Bag does
Skills:
Making words rhyme
Rapping
Asking provacative questions
Special Interests:
Singing
Playing with brother
Puzzles
Understanding faulty wiring of bathrooms
brilliant. i wish i was a good writer like you. i tred the deepest waters in my thoughts and barely get my feet wet when i write... does that make sense, or have i proven my point? two snaps to jake for keeping you on the cutting edge of your intellect. that kid is dynamite.
After giving your blog some thought, I've come up with 2 values that I believe every educated person has:
- one who learns from others
- one who makes a mistake, and tries ones best not to repeat that same mistake.
In addition, every educated person will sometimes forgot these values. The key to continuing your educaction is surronding yourself with others that also hold truth in these values, so someone will be there to help you "reach the light."
Post a Comment