I have a son who has no respect for the simple rules of fashion. While I have always prided myself on being an open-minded individual with a willingness to accept new ideas and embrace all people regardless of race, culture, etc, I have proven a failure when it comes to accepting and embracing what my child chooses to wear each day. My 3-year old will often ask, "Mom, does this match?" but I swear if my 2-year old catches wind that what he has chosen to wear somehow follows any norm of pattern or color, he will go change. He will not let me near his clothes drawers. Any suggestions from me are gruffly thrown to the dogs with a simple but stern, "No mom! I can do it." While I really do applaud that this child has learned to dress himself, I am finding it hard to simply let him wear whatever he wants. Let me explain myself...
Regardless of whatever clothing he may choose for the day, the outfit always begins with a pair of Santa Christmas socks and a pair of blue rubber rain boots. These boots have been worn with leisure outfits, Sunday clothes, and even pajamas. No outfit is too sacred not to be worn with "the boots". I have tried to insist that he not wear them to bed but there have been many nights when I have gone in late to check on him and found those boots snuggled deep under his blanket. They are most irritating when they kick my back repeatedly or stomp on my body as he crosses over me in MY bed to get to his favorite spot curled up next to dad. Ah, those cursed boots.
He also loves his pair of red sweat pants with the blue stripe down the leg and the "horse" shirt that is now too small for him. I shake my fists at the heavens every time he pulls on the plaids with the stripes or the Halloween monster shirt with the Christmas pajama bottoms. Many a mother or well-meaning person has counseled me to just let it go and focus on celebrating his independence. I've tried...it doesn't work. I just can't celebrate reds and purples in the same outfit. Call me shallow, call me ignorant of the greater purposes in life, call me what you will but tell me how many people who wore rain boots and horse shirts have made it through life without serious psychological scars?! I have started carrying a matching outfit piece with me wherever we go in hopes of having an "accident" with either a top or bottom that will allow me to put the matching garment on him and have peace with his outfit. For those of you that know me, I'm not winning any awards with my fashion statements. Carrie Ann tries to keep me in line when I've gone too many days in outfits made entirely out of fleece or "leisure suits" that need a washing (I'm terrible with pantyhose and purse etiquette too) but at least my leisure fleece suits MATCH! Tonight he wore his dinosaur pajama top and doggy pajama bottoms to bed. I am absolutely certain that if I were to check on him right now he would also be wearing Santa socks and rubber rain boots. And I haven't even mentioned the Superman cape and broken knight's helmet...
Despite the torment I feel inside every time I see him in the red plaid Sunday shirt with the blue plaid summer shorts, he is still a constant source of wonder and joy. The other morning I found him watching the garbage truck out the big front window in black Sunday socks pulled to his knees, the rubber rain boots and his pajama dog top. His eyes were dancing with joy, his hair was glistening in the morning sunlight streaming through the window, and his darling white dimpled diaperless butt put a smile on my face and a memory in my head that won't soon be forgotten. I'll try to remember that there may come a day when he comes to visit me in his dapper matching Gap outfit and I'll mourn the loss of his youthful fashion ignorance.
Meanwhile, I have high hopes that Carrie Ann's blog on shoe etiquette will be a turning point in losing the rain boots for him.
14 comments:
I know you too well, Amy. I know that not-so-very-deep-down you LOVE how the boys dress themselves. It means they are given choices by good parents. It says so much about what a wonderful, non-controling (that is a GOOD thing) mother you are.
I, on the other hand, had knock-em-down, drag-em-out fights with Waverly regarding her fashion from ages 1.5 to 5. (I remember when she was 3 and I was BEGGING her to wear something that matched...it ended up with her screaming, "I WANT TO CHOOSE! I WANT TO CHOOOOSE!" That is when I finally gave in for good.
I feel certain it is more about the CHOICE and less about what they are actually wearing. Even the smallest child understands this part of The Plan...probably better than we do.
It is funny, in the last year Waverly has become almost completely ambivelant to her choices in fashion, probably because she has so many other choices to make during the day (at school and what-not). She doesn't need this "choice making practice time" when she gets dressed anymore. Kind of sad, actually. In fact, yesterday she announced that YELLOW is now her favorite color!!! What happened to my little pink princess? Is she really growing up? On a level that only a mom could probably understand, this is a very, very sad thing.
LOVE to see new posts here, by the way!
Did I leave my toothbrush in the downstairs bathroom? I miss it...it is battery-operated and all. Don't let the preschool kids play with it! I'll pick it up next time I'm there!
Is this the place where I print out all the pictures of you with the corduroy flowered pants and striped shirts? Or how about some of the other lovely combinations you came up with at about age 3? Hmmmm? I love that there is justice in the world.
Uummm... Single San Franciscan seeking to multiply sister status!
What a wonderful great family you all are.
You NEED photos. We will have a tutorial as soon as I figure out why Flickr changed it's format making it REALLY difficult to blog.
Matt can really dress however he wants because we all know it all about the squeeze factor. It won't be long before he hits his growth spurt (hopefully) and he loses his sweet density. Oh, keep him in fleece pants forever as long as I can SQUEEZE that warm little chubby body!
And the rubber boots are adorable, as long as they don't make contact with my bare skin. OUCH!
Rebecca...you are hired! We are always open to the adoption of new sisters! Maybe we could have a "cross-family, open adoption" policy because I love your family too!
Carrie Ann...a tutorial would be lovely. I have a picture of Matt watching the garbage truck in his boots. Will you include rubber rain boots in your shoe blog? I'm just wondering where they fit in the grand scheme of shoes.
Suzie & Mo: Love you both. Mo, when are you going to do your blogging quiz? I'm waiting and waiting and waiting...
I think capes are cool if you are pre-k. It's scary when anyone older picks up a cape and decides to wear it. We have a couple female cape wearers in the ward. At least I refer to them as capes because I have no fashion savvy. Carrie Ann probably has some fancy name for them. But I say, fancy name or not, they are ugly. Especially the quilted cape. Yuck.
Christian, I assume you won't take offense to the cape I made my 1st grader for xmas. She wants to be a superhero with her little brothers! Capes ARE cool!
Mo, isn't it incentive enough to create your own blog that you could post all of the embarassing pictures you have of us? I'm thinking of Amy dressed as Mother Superior from The Sound of Music...
OK. I am going to have to revise my pre-k cape rule. I think it is totally cool for a 1st grader to have a superhero cape. I still can't get behind quilted capes worn by adults. however, if Mo has one of these, then I will re-revise my cape rule.
Christian, are you just trying to please the masses? Or are you in denial about the cape you have in your own closet?
Quilted cape? Really? I'm imagining a patchwork quilt slung on the back of an old woman, and pinned with a safety pin under her chin. Please tell me I'm wrong.
Hey -- the cape in my closet was a gift. I rarely wear it.
I think Carrie Ann could tell you what it's really called. It is quilted. It is worn by an older but not old woman but it's much shorter than a superhero cape. It's very interesting. You'll need to come back to Provo and go to church with us.
Christian F.
I do not own a cape--quilted or otherwise so you do not have to revise anything. However, I did just buy one of those fuzzy/hairy scarf thingeys to toss around my neck when I'm feeling funky. Is that okay? And by the way, it's true that Amy did go around dressed like Mother Superior for several weeks after watching The Sound of Music when she was 7.
More posts please.
Post a Comment