Friday, February 25, 2005

Great Date Night Entertainment

I am always on the look-out for something to really spice up the weekly date night. My husband and I had recently had a conversation about taking more opportunities to expand our cultural education beyond dollar movies and fast food dates. Maybe more plays or concerts or something...well, I was driving home the other night listening to my beloved NPR when an announcement about a new play caught my attention. After the riveting introduction, I was mentally posed to take note of the title and location. This was going to be it...our first walk on the cultural highway, our introduction into Salt Lake City's "artsy" crowd, the night that changed our lives forever. Vagina Monologues. I really don't mean to offend anyone's gentle side but that was the title of the play they were announcing on NPR. If they can use the word "vagina" on listener supported local radio, then certainly it must be acceptable vocabulary. I really thought I had heard it wrong so I turned up the volume and there it was, blasted and echoing off the walls of the mini-van. A serious snort erupted and then I giggled the rest of the way home. I couldn't wait to share my suggestion with my husband. I wanted to call every one I knew and ask them with a straight face if they wanted to go see the "Vagina Monolgues" at the Rose Wagner Theater with me. I asked Chris and his only reply was, "Are there enough lesbians in Salt Lake City to fill the whole theater?"

We were so close to a date night breakthrough. Guess it is back to the drawing board.

6 comments:

mo said...

I have actually heard about "those" monologues. Every famous actrss from the Broadway Stage has been in them at one time or another. Why couldn't they have been called "The Estrogen Monologues"? I maybe could handle that. There is just no dignity left in this world but I am sure there are other cultural opportunities to expand your date night out there that don't involve using words that make 95% of the population uncomfortable to say out loud. I'll be on the lookout for you.

Lisa M. said...

I agree with Mo. *smile* Even though I like to think of myself as a hip, progressive, open minded, mormon. (Okay so I am a LITTLE more conservitive than that) I still can't say I am comfortable saying that word, let alone buying a ticket with that printed on. *grin*

There is a grand little ensombo cast that is doing a great rendition of "Greater Tuna" at the theater in Park City.

We *try* to get out a little, but its limited and far between...

Carrie Ann said...

Like I said, I was invited to go but I knew I couldn't sit in an auditorium with my face burning for 2 hours.

Suzie Petunia said...

These are the times when I'm happy to not live in Happy Valley. :) Oh, wait... I'm pretty sure that play is always running somewhere in Portland at any given time. :)

Christian F said...

You should have gone. You could have had the seats next to us.

Amy Lynn said...

Christian...I know you are joking about seeing this play. Right? You're just joking. Because nobody really goes to these type of plays. Right? Right? A joke?