I have had some real adventures uncovering the true meaning of things in my life...
Every spring, as I watch my husband slaving away in our yard, I am taken back to a choice moment in my life when innocence was torn away and reality became a harsh teacher. I was 9 or 10 years old when one day I was searching all the drawers in my parent's bathroom for some random item. As I opened the bottom drawer, I came across a whole box of what I naively thought were "Wet Wipes". I loved Wet Wipes and eagerly grabbed a package to tear open for a little mid-afternoon hand washing. Well, I tore open the package and out fell this strange rubber like object. I picked it up and stared at it for a long, long time. It most definitely wasn't a wet wipe, not a balloon...what could this thing be? And then it hit me. I don't know what background knowledge I had regarding these type of things but somehow I just knew. Looking back on the moment, I don't know what was more horrific...that I was standing in my parent's bathroom holding a condom or realizing that my parents actually did things that required a condom. I didn't know what to do. I thought about flushing it but I was worried it would clog the toliet. If I threw it in the trash, I was scared a parental unit would find it and come confront me. So I did the only logical thing I could think of...I stuffed it in my pocket, went to the garage, found a shovel, dug a hole in the front flower bed, and buried it deep in the earth. Why I chose the front flower bed when there was a whole forest behind our house is still somewhat of a mystery to me...but I have often wondered about the people who bought the house after us and the first spring planting that they did in the front yard and what thoughts crossed their minds as they uncovered that buried condom?! Ah, the innocence of youth.
4 comments:
I'm chuckling quietly to myself so as not to wake sleeping husband. I think this type of experience is a required part of adolesense. I found THE SAME THING on the bedstand next to the telephone in their bedroom (unused in the package) when I was 11 or so. What a horrifying moment, and rest of the evening, as I recall. I didn't talk to anyone. I was terrified someone would find out what I had seen. Looking back, this was probably a necessary, yet painful step into adulthood: the knowledge of the reality of such things going on with PEOPLE YOU KNOW...who happen to be your PARENTS!
Unlike you, I didn't feel the need to bury it.
You'd think Mo and Dad would be more careful about such things... it's not like them, really... :)
Why do I have such snoopy children--that is the real question! I'm so embarrassed!
It was NEXT TO THE TELEPHONE! OK, I admit that I am snoopy.
you guys KILL me!! Oh, these stories are so funny.
Is therapy necessary, though? ;)
Post a Comment