First of all something must be said...without really being able to explain why, I have a feeling my brother Chip is lurking around these blogs without identifying himself. I can't tell you why this "spidey" sense is telling me so, but if you are my dear brother, you have been caught and now must make yourself known!
Over the past few months I have been compulsively compiling lists of "must read" and "must see" books and movies. I have assembled all these post-it notes and scrapes of paper into one pile where I shall now ask my faithful readers to help me sort out what is really worth reading/seeing and what can be left alone. Here is my "wish" list:
MOVIES
The Sea Inside
Finding Neverland
Born Into Brothels
Yesterday
Lemony Snickett's Series of Unfortunate Events
Story of Weeping Camel
As It Is In Heaven
The Chorus
Downfall
Tupac Resurrection
Twist of Fate
Maria Full of Grace
Spanglish
Meet the Fockers
BOOKS
Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight (Alexandra Fuller)
The Hours (Michael Cunningham)
Caramelo (Sandra Cisneros)
What Should I Do With My Life? (Po Bronson)
Executioner's Song (Norman Mailer)
Raising Ephraim's Child (author?)
Given the limited amount of time I have these days, I really want to spend my time on things interesting and thought provoking. If any one has opinions on any of these things, let it be known!!
8 comments:
From what I have heard, I would agree with lala about Meet the Fockers. I also heard it was really raunchy. I'm still trying to find a theatre within reasonable driving distance that is showing Finding Neverland. My friends who saw it loved it. Don't know anything about the other movies. I picked up Executioners Song once and read parts of it. Sorry VSOM members, but I really didn't care for it or the feeling it gave me. It's probably well written but who needs to get inside the mind of a murderer? I would rather get inside the mind of a someone who is encouraging and uplifting. There's enough depressing things all around without that.
Oh, one more, I did see Lemony Snicket's etc...it did a great job of creating the scene and mood of the book but somehow it fell a little flat for me. Don't know why.
I have Don't Let's Go..., The Hours, and What Should I Do... You are MORE than welcome to borrow them. We can discuss my opinions in private if you care to rather than making me type them out here...
See Finding Neverland ASAP. I have seen it twice in the theater and would do so again. It is fabulous.
I also really liked Spanglish and I agree with everyone else on MEet the Fockers--it had a few funny parts but was pretty raunchy.
Yes, yes. Meet the Fockers is no good. However, think about how many times you can use this line: "I'm a lookin' and I'm a likin'!" I try to use it every day.
I thought Meet the Fockers was hilarious, but you already knew I was going to hell, so no one act surprised. I also watched it in the form of a pirated download from the internet, filmed by a real amateur with a digital video cameral in a movie theater. I had to kind-of cock my head to one side 'cause it wasn't exactly level most of the movie.
Finding Neverland was ok, but my opinion of it was skewed by the fact that I saw it with a person who BAWLED like a baby at the end and made me very uncomfortable. But the kid actor in the movie was a good crier - I thought that was impressive. My friend...not so impressive. Just a big baby.
Okay, I have to laugh that Kaycee admitted that she feels bad for making us read The Executioner's Song. It IS a hard book to read...I'm gonna need to read something like Anne of Green Gables once I finish this...CRIMINY!
I loved, Finding Never Land, As It Is In Heaven, Twist of Fate, and Spanglish. I havn't seen the rest, I am afraid.
I have the book, Parenting Ephraim's Child. By Deborah Talmadge and Jaime Theler. I was wondering if that is the book you were refering too. I remember it being mentioned somewhere in a previous blog, and wondered then.
This book has been, very good for me. I am raising my nephew, (I call him my son, I have had him since he was 16 months old, and he is 15 now) but he truely has been a challange. This book has helped me in ways I can not express.
I have also been reading a book called "Forgiving God" by Carla Killough McClafferty I realize this isn't my blog, but this book has really helped me, to understand my feelings and accept my son Ethan's disabilities . Having Ethan has been one of the most spiritually challanging, and spiritually uplifting, experiences. It is an odd mix, and one that is a progressive step in my testimony.
Goodness, I ramble.
Good luck to you, in your quest for knowledge.
Post a Comment