Saturday, May 28, 2005

Spiritual Puking

Hmmm...where to start. A couple of weeks ago I went to church and got a new calling. Didn't see it coming. Church ended and I took the 3 young 'uns out to the car contemplating whether I wanted those new Vanilla Creme Frosted Mini Wheats for lunch or left over chocolate chip cookie dough when my husband came running out to the car in a panic. "Amy, where have you been?" I was sitting in the car with 3 kids so I thought the question was a little reduntant but I played along.

Amy: Sitting in the car. Why? Where have you been?
Chris: We have an appointment with the bishop. Are you coming?
Amy: (blank stare)
Chris: I told you about it before church. Remember?
Amy: (blank stare)
Chris: They're waiting for us. Hurry.
Amy: Couldn't I just wait here in the car. I hate unbuckling all those car seats plus I'll just embarass myself when you get some calling that leaves me alone with the kids and I break out into one of those ugly emotional scenes.
Chris: (blank stare)

Anyway, the whole way into the church I was praying. Not the reverent, soft, gentle kind of praying but the real ugly raw emotional kind of stuff. I just knew my husband was being called to something that required nights, weekends, and me alone with all these kids after 6:00 p.m. We sat down in the office. When I say "we" I mean the adults. Jake and Matthew were jumping on the chairs and Hannah was crying, straining, and pooping. The bishop talked as loudly as he could and when he said, "Amy, we'd like to call you as the new primary president" I missed it because I was yelling at my kids. You think I am exaggerating but I'm not. He got no response so he tried it one more time and this time the room went absolutely silent. Those of you that know me know that although I can be awkward I am usually good at bluffing through the social scene. No. This time it was long awkward silence. I remember hearing the second hand tick on the clock and smelling Hannah's diaper. We all sat there. The bishop shuffled some papers and finally said, "Uh, would you like some time to think about it". I seriously don't know what happened after that. I remember Chris saying, "Are you alright?" and I asked him not to talk to me for a few minutes. I remember crying a little bit as we pulled into the driveway but that is it. All a blur.

I need to get to the best part of this story. Had some really amazing experiences choosing my counselors and secretary...amazing women with some serious combined years as former primary presidents, counselors, etc. (Didn't know this when I chose them but loved starting our first presidency meeting by saying "Well, if you ladies need any help with anything, you just call and let me know.") We decided to hold our first presidency meeting at my house and why not? Go ahead and bring the kids. I have 3, my first counselor has 2, my second counselor has 5 and the secretary has triplets. We ended up with 7 children under the age of 4 coming to my house to play. Presidency meeting started off with sippy cups full of juice and water and a couple of diaper changes followed by blood in the play room, a graham cracker disaster in the family room, a riot in the bathroom, and plastic dinosaurs stuffed in decor in my house where I didn't know stuff could be stuffed. I quickly ended the meeting and asked if anyone wanted to go bond at McDonald's playland.

Things went well for the first 3 minutes and then the first counselor's son came down out of the play structure to announce that the second counselor's son had just "spilled his stuff all over the playland." While we were trying to discover what the mystery "stuff" could be that he was spilling, children started pouring out of the playland tunnels shouting, "Barf! Barf! There's barf all over the playland!" and sure enough, there was her 2-year old son standing at the top of the structure staring intently at the floor. More chaos ensued. I really could go on and on...from trying to coax her son to come down to the children fighting to climb up and get a first hand glimpse at the "barf" to my 4-year old son asking me just what "barf" meant and if I could tell him all the other words people use to describe throw up. Yeah, its what my husband mumbled in my ear when I sat down after being sustained....Let the games begin.

13 comments:

Suzie Petunia said...

If it wasn't 1:00 am in Utah I would pick up the phone -cause obviously we need to talk. Hmmm...I bet you're up, but I wouldn't risk waking the kiddies. I can't think of a better person to be Primary President. You are an amazing teacher, example, person, etc. etc! I would be so excited if I had kids in your ward! You're gonna be great!

As for the puke in the playland... I can't say I'm surprised things like that happen. However, that story was simply the proof I needed to keep my kids a safe distance away. I just hope the child didn't spew in one of those ball pits...

Lisa M. said...

AH! Congrats. Do you say Congrats to a calling? Anyway, Congrats.

I am sure you will do a fantastic job. *grin* Who better to serve the ward, than mothers with a combo of 7 kids under 4?

Ah, a little puke!? In the grand scheme of things... at least it isn't umm.. POOP? *chuckle*

Oh...and did you explain to your bishop... that your primary calling can NOT interfear with your blogging time?

*grin*

mo said...

If anyone knows what kind of Primary President you will be, I do. You have been preparing for most of your life--teaching imaginary kids in our basement for 8 hours at a stretch, organizing and mothering 6 siblings since you were knee-high to a grasshopper, and telling fascinating stories to hoardes of young uns. Besides, as I told you on the phone, you have always been a little bossy--and I meant that in the nicest way possible. You are good at organizing and being in charge and communicating what is expected. You're a natural for this! Besides that, you know you have a talent for being a people-person....Trust me, the Mo knows!

kacy faulconer said...

This does seem like the perfect calling for you. Good luck. And if you make me dinner, since I'm sure you will have plenty of time, I will wear my pink stripey shirt and after we say grace you can give me an "I said the prayer" sticker. In fact, now that you are the P President, I'm going to expect a sticker from you for everything I do: "I commented on Amy's blog..." "I saw Amy at Carrie's" etc.

Amy Lynn said...

Kacy: Stickers? I'm supposed to have stickers?? You realize that just adds another item to the "to do list". No stickers. But I do approve of candy and bribery. It's just a part of life that they mine as well learn early.

Laura: Call me. I have a great pedicure place where I didn't leave with a staff infection and we have a new Maggie Moo's. Seriously. When?

Sarah: Guests actually went to bed at 10:00 p.m. tonight and Chris and I just looked at each other because really in this house, 10:00 p.m. is when the party just gets started. Call anytime. And you know what? The playland really is a disgusting petri dish of living bacteria. That shows you have desperate we were.

Suzie Petunia said...

You have guests? I'm really calling you tomorrow.

Really.

I need to stop only checking my blogs at 1 AM

Suzie Petunia said...

I tried to call yesterday, but you were napping. I hope Chris told you I called. I'll try again tomorrow, busy primary president lady. :)

Abby said...

You are so popular! And I can't say I'm surprised--what a gem of a story-teller you are. Those kids will listen to anything you say, ya know. (Just mention the word puke every now and then.) I'm so sorry I wasn't there for you--a shoulder to cry on, someone to take your children while you went...anywhere. (Or we could lock the kids somewhere and have fun adult sister time--with treats. I'm supposed in the car on my way to mutual right this minute--but work took everything I had today and I'm overwhelmed and tired and have to go potty...I'll call you.

Suzie Petunia said...

I tried to call again today around 12:10 your time...busy...busy...busy... I'll try again tomorrow... :(

Emma Jo said...

I too would like to be child in your primary. I promise to be good and if you need any suggestions on how to keep Sunbeams in their seats, call. We frequently had them doing sommersaults and they even made it out the window a time or two--or maybe that was the 11 year old boys...I've blocked it out. Primary is one of my most favorite callings of all time. You will be tremendous and excellent--and your kids will love having you in there with them. By the way, can we stay with you at the end of this month? I'll call you.

Oscarson Photography said...

wow, look at all of these comments. primary presidents are busy and popular. i remember your st louis basement lessons. i really just remember the punishments though... i do remember you being my primary music lady thingy in boston... i never did ask you straight out, but did they call you to that calling just to keep me quite in primary? good luck with the new calling chris... you too flammy-amy.

Suzie Petunia said...

Will you ever blog again? Now that children OWN you, the prospect looks grim. But, I do hope you find the time...I miss you so!

Carrie Ann said...

I can't beleive I haven't commented yet. I reorganized my bookmarks and moved all the family members into a group.

Our primary presidency in St. Louis made a defintie impression on me: Sisters Christiansen, Quigley, and Hintze. You don't forget such neat ladies, and these kids will not forget you! Just don't do anything foolish, because I sure remember that stuff; like when sister Q wore two different shoes to church once...