Saturday, June 11, 2005

Nostalgia Gone Real Bad

Today as I was taking a leisure stroll through my quiet little neighborhood, I paused for a moment to drink in the soft summer breeze, feel the warmth of the bright summer sun on my face, and listen to the little girls running the lemonade stand try to rip off a customer.

The lemonade stand was on the other side of the street from me. It consisted of a box covered with a sheet, some paper cups, a beige Tupperware pitcher, and 3 little girls who appeared to be around 5 or 6 years old. I have a strict policy about always buying lemonade at children run lemonade stands and as my eye caught sight of this sweet little set-up, I felt remorse that I didn't have a few quarters with me. (I must also add that I have an equally strict policy about never actually DRINKING the lemonade. It always ends up on the lawn around the corner because let's face it folks...there are a few possibilities that have to be considered when buying beverages from strangers on street corners in the 21st century!) Anyway, on my side of the street stood Bronson. He was holding his bike and staring longingly at the lemonade stand across the street. Bronson is 4 years old and was obviously intrigued by the festivities way out of his reach. Suddenly one of the little girls noticed him staring, stood up and came to stand right in front of him on her side of the street. With a hand on her hip and a sassy little voice she called out, "Do you want some lemonade?" Bronson's face lit up and he eagerly replied, "Yeah."

"It costs two bucks," sassy girl answered.

Bronson looked down at his pockets and said, "But I don't have any dollars."

Sassy girl switched hands on hips and said, "Fine, I'll sell you some for 25 cents."

Bronson dropped his bike and ran for the house screaming, "Mom! Can I have some moneys?"

I put my head down and moved as fast as I could trying hard not to make eye contact with the little business hustler on the other side of the street. My sentimental feelings of nostalgia had quickly been replaced by the hard realities of tough bargaining and the sweat and tears involved in trying to made a living these days. Two bucks for warm, watery lemonade? I suddenly sensed that the days of innocence and naiveness were gone...then again, innocence and ignorance never made for super successful lemonade stands. I walked by her house again tonight and desperately wanted to stop and ask how profitable the 2-buck cups of lemonade were.

The clincher to the whole experience? Tonight as I was putting my 4 year old to bed, he told me he really wanted to buy a bike. I told him what a great idea I thought that was and how he could do some extra chores around the house to earn some money. His face scrunched up a little and he said, "Mom. I don't want to do work. I just want to sell some lemonade like that girl today. How many cups of lemonade does it take for a bike?" Sigh.

3 comments:

Oscarson Photography said...

someday i hope to have the writing sense of my oldest sister. years of gradeing papers i guess, is what it takes i guess. i started a lemonade stand one day with brian hadagan in st louis but he wanted to sell ice tea so i said i had to get home and ditched out. i think the going rate of the day was about 10 or 15cents though... but if you adjust for inflation and bad business ethics, i guess it would be right aroud $2 now-a-days.

Amy Lynn said...

Spence...where are you posting these days? Are you still a regular on xanga? I need your blogging address so I can come harass you. Jake and I were talking about which instrument he wanted to play when he got big and after all my suggestions and all his "No, I don't think I like that one" he finally said, "Mom, I just want to play the guitar like Spencer. Did you think I could borrow one from him?" Will you come to Provo and teach the young 'un how to be just like Uncle Spencer??

mo said...

Two dollars a cup??? I understand about inflation but that smacks of exploitation and greed! I can buy a whole can of mix for that...well, maybe a quarter of a can....I think what you have here is another potential Martha Stewart living in on your street. You are smart not to actually drink the stuff....children tend to taste it by putting their fingers into the pitcher....lots! And you go, Jake--sell that lemonade but at least price it so that your grandma could afford some!