Monday, August 22, 2005

Homegrown Humor

Jake has been the star of classic one-liners over the last month. While he may only be 4-years old in "physical" years, he is way out of my league in every other way. Here are some of my favorites...

a) Tonight in his personal prayers, he thanked God for all the "loveliness and kindness".

b) Last Sunday as I was dressed in my skirt and new tan colored bra looking frantically for a shirt, Jake walked in and stood puzzled in the doorway for a moment before asking, "Mom, are you wearing your brown breasts today?"

c) Last week Jake asked if Dads ever wear "breastplates." (I was puzzled until I realized he was talking about bras! Admit it...isn't breastplate a much more creative, fun sounding word than "bra"?)

d) After submerging himself in his counsin's pool the other day, my darling, native french sister-in-law took him inside to find him some dry clothes. She found him a pair of underwear and some shorts and as he was putting them on he asked her where she got the underwear. She replied, "Oh, the panties used to belong to Ethan. We bought them in France last summer." Well, Jake was quite pleased to be wearing french "panties" instead of regular old American underwear and kept referring to them as such throughout the remainder of the day. The next morning he asked if it was OK to wear the french panties to church. My husband told him it was OK and then Jake paused for a moment before asking, "Dad, does anyone else wear their french panties to church?" We realized it was time for vocabulary intervention before he got us hauled into the bishop's office for some family therapy.

e) As he was being dragged into time-out the other day for a major infraction of some household rule, he shouted, "Can anyone help me please? I'm in SO much trouble?"

Just a few of the choice moments with Jake. Never a dull day!

9 comments:

Melissa said...

That is precious. Kids are hilar. I love the brown breasts comment!
On Sunday my brother told his Primary teacher that God created the earth in 6 days and rested on the 7th--and that's why we go to church on Sunday--to wake up Jesus. He also said at Church he learns the Gospel of the Holy Goat--and the Holy Goat is a special kind of Goat that can whisper in our ears.

mo said...

Jake has always been way beyond his years when it comes to expressing himself. What other child do you know could use the word "leprachaun" in a complete sentence before he was one-year old? Besides, children and anything to do with underwear is always hilarious!

Emma Jo said...

My personal favorites are "llama" and "dobie". I miss being near cousins. I'm sure that they could all influence each other in all sorts of interesting ways.

Carrie Ann said...

I think the term breastplate is a MUCH more appropriate term for what I wear...if your bra firmly holds its shape whether or not you're in it it is DEFINITELY a breastplate.

Suzie Petunia said...

I'm wearing my leopard-print breast plate right now. I always do when I blog... with matching french panties.

Erin said...

Teehee - these are great stories!

Oscarson Photography said...

i have no french panties, and it does frighten me that jake was so happy in them... not that there's anything wrong with that!!

Abby said...

Shoulder-shaking laughter at present moment--thank you, Jake!

Abby said...

By the way, he's not too far off--I do wear breast "shields." Maybe he was paying homage to nursing women. We definitely need another "Out of the mouths of babes" movie. I love the bit about the Holy Goat!