Tonight my little family had a fabulous experience. We attended a musical at the Children's Theatre of Salt Lake City entitled "The Stinky Cheese Man". It is a little tiny theater located on 600 South State Street in Salt Lake City that didn't look like a whole lot from the outside but was really amazing on the inside. It is a whole theater company dedicated to providing quality plays and musicals for children and their families. It is geared FOR children and they did a fantastic job. Everything about the entire show was very professional and extremely well-done...the costumes, the scenery, the talent, the singing, the acting...etc. My husband and I took our 5 year old and 4 year old and they both had a great experience. Even the refreshments at the Cafe were all based around the play...Foxy Loxy brownie sundae, Stinky Cheese Man grilled cheese sandwich on Red Hen Home Made Bread, Frog Prince dessert...it was a truly wonderful evening. My little children had the opportunity to go and have a real "live theater" experience. J. sat on the edge of his seat most of the play and laughed in all the right places. Where else would a theater not only welcome small children but embrace the enthusiasum only a child could have for silliness and drama. The show lasted 90 minutes (including the intermission), was fast paced, dialogue and story line appropriate for the audience it was targeting. Truly a magnificent show!
I am so grateful to make a fabulous discovery like this. And I am always terrified it won't last. These theaters and groups need to be important to the public and people need to make a conscious effort to support local organizations who are reaching out to children and families in a positive way. When individuals make a conscious decision about what is important to them in their community and seek to show support for these groups, it can have a very positive, very powerful impact.
So get on the internet and start exploring what is waiting to be discovered right around the corner from you.
And if you ever come for a visit to Utah, I know a great little place where we can catch an excellent show...
1 comment:
YES! Support the arts! I'm so glad you found such a neat place to expose your kids to theatre and the arts. Taylor and I are on the board for a local foundation: Voices for the Performing Arts.
www.vpafoundation.org
We have had so many meaningful and memorable experiences while serving our community in this way. Everyone is invited to our next event: The Spirit of Christmas, on Dec. 2. I'll be singing with the choir and Taylor is going to be a narrator.
Post a Comment