My dear, sweet readers...you are going to have to trust me on this one. It is going to take a great deal of faith to go do what I am about to ask you to do but I need you to press forward and be courageous. You will not be disappointed...or if you are, then I cannot not help you and I urge you to seek professional help.
I have just finished reading 2 books that have provided some SERIOUS entertainment and engrossing reading. I just spent an entire day at a BYU symposium listening to the fabulous author speak about her books and the experience of writing them. They are Young Adult books so I'm not advocating because they are deep and life-changing. I am urging you to read them because they are utterly fascinating, very well-written, and totally "neglect your life so you can devour the books" good. They are TWILIGHT and NEW MOON
by Stephenie Meyer .
Now I must utter another warning...do not read the back of the book. You will wrinkle your nose in disgust and give a little "ugh" and be tempted to walk away. But you must not.
Because I was going to this author symposium, a friend loaned me these two books so at least I could do a little reading and figure out who this author was (I was familiar with the other 2 authors at the conference but not her). My friend went on and on and on about these books and because I was in the middle of reading another book for a book club, I set them aside. Now my husband, who is not a "voracious" reader of novels, must have picked them and read the back where the word "vampire" and "blood sucking" appear and he started reading the first book. He DEVOURED it! Found it on his night stand, in the bathroom, and frequently saw it traveling around the house tucked under his arm. Then to my utter amazement, he picked up the sequel and read that one as well. It didn't take long once I opened TWILIGHT to get sucked in as well.
The author is a BYU graduate, mother of 3, living in Phoenix Arizona where she had never really done much writing or had anything published and then one night had a vivid dream that she woke up and had to write down. It became one of the scenes in the book that started the whole thing. Check out her website then go check out the books.
Be warned...they are young adult fiction and it is a fascinating love story but you do have to wade through a few scenes of teenagers looking into each others eyes and saying things like, "What are you thinking?", "No, what are YOU thinking?" but stay with it. There is NO sex, NO language, NO gratuitous anything...go get them and read them.
Then blog and let me know what you think...
14 comments:
I love the binge and purge of your blog site. I wait in nothingness and yet I check everyday...and then I am rewarded with a feast of good writing and advice. So its not really binge and purge, its more like, drought and flood--boy was I thirsty.
Grrr, it was me Emily all along...Clark always forgets to sign out.
I am glad to see a new post as well, Amy. I have been looking for a book to read, so thanks. I will take your advice. It may take me a bit to read them, but I will!
My niece read Twlight for school and is now reading New Moon. I have a "book club" with a friend who lives in NY and we read a YA book each month and discuss it....we both taught JR and HS. Next month is Twlight. I'll let you know what I think!!
Way to go, Amy! You have me CRAVING a good book. I can't wait to read them. I'll go order them from my library right now.
I'll have to do just that.
Thanks Amy!
ok I'm taking your advise. You always give good book advise.
I am a voracious reader and would be happy to check these out. I'll let you know what I think!
After reading your blog, I also saw a blurb about this author in the byu magazine. So last night we went to the library and I picked up Twilight and by 5 pm today, I had finished it. I don't think Ian felt neglected, I pretended to play toys and cars with him while I was secretly reading. Thanks for the recommendation, now I have to hope that the pocatello library has the sequel!
I read both Twilight and New Moon and I LOVED them. I have even gone to the website and made an iPod playlist of Stephanie's "soundtrack" to Twilight. I will burn a CD for whomever wants one! I CANNOT wait for summertime to come 'round: Harry Potter in July and Eclipse in August! Another reason not to get a job! Thanks for the great reading tip!
Alexa was just telling me about those books the other day! Now I must go and obey.
I just finished Twilight last night and had to run and get New Moon today. I wasn't convinced at first but I'm now hooked. Fun creepy stories and very engaging! Almost makes me want to be a vampire! Yea, Ceeb, I preordered my copy of Harry P a few weeks ago!
Great! Now I have even MORE books I want to read!! I am excited. I will get on the bandwagon here and read with the rest of you.
It is nice to see your blog Amy!
I love Edward. Seriously. I'm in LOVE with Edward. :)
I love that your hubs read them! That made me laugh.
I can hardly wait until Eclipse comes out. Now I have been to the author's site and read everything I could and hope that the book from Edward's perspective gets published one of these days.
Kara and I have decided to make our own "soundtrack" for the books. Is that wierd? It might mean I'm obsessed, but it sure is fun!
Post a Comment