Friday, March 02, 2007

Illuminating Moment

So my whole life I thought I wanted to be an author until I attended a 3-day writing symposium last summer and realized I didn't want to BE an author, I wanted to be an editor. But then some time passed and I realized that wasn't ENTIRELY true.

I really love to write and this month I am being published for the FIRST time! Published AND paid...how 'bout that? I have been asked to write a permanent column/article for a local magazine here in Utah called "Wasatch Woman". My bi-monthly article is called "Good Reads" and will focus on books in a variety of genres. This month the article focuses on 5 of my favorite picture books.

I'm a little giddy.

The magazine has only been around for a little over a year so it is very new but has good prospects so I must insist you get a copy (or at least pick one up and read it while waiting in the check-out line at the grocery store!).

I realized driving in the car today that what I love writing about are all the many incidents in life where "truth is stranger than fiction". I love memoirs and anecdotes and getting inside people's heads and trying to understand what really is happening there. This is what I feel passionate about writing. I don't want to make up stuff because nothing fictional coming out of my head could possibly be more interesting than all the stuff that happens around me every day. And I'm here to tell you...there are some weird people out there with interesting stories to tell. Like the lady today at the pool who had this to say:

Lady: Excuse me, is that your ball?

Me: Oh no, my daughter just found it in the pool. Is it yours?

Lady: Yes, it belongs to my son. He is 2 years old and has all kinds of sensory motor problems and autism and maybe even a little bit of ADHD.

Me: Oh.

Lady: Yeah, his brothers are swimming around the lazy river with him and boys are just so crazy and I hope they don't drown him.

Me: Yeah. Well, thanks for letting us play with the ball.

I looked at my sister-in-law and she looked at me and we both watched this lady swim off to go find her son being drowned by his brothers in the lazy river. Really...I could not make this stuff up.

Anyway, this has been a random post. I must be tired and I have lots of pool water still splashing around behind my eyes and in my ears. Good night!

9 comments:

mo said...

I was talking to a friend yesterday whose husband is a doctor. She said that when he was doing his psychology rotation she asked him why he never told her about any of his more interesting cases. He said, "If I told you how many crazy people there are out there walking the streets, you would be afraid to leave the house!" You're right, there are plenty of interesting true stories out there to fill volumns--and I might add, you have a way of telling a story that makes it even better!!! I'm so excited about your "new career". I always knew you would be a famous writer. I want a full report about the interview with Jane Clayson!

Abby said...

I live my life a little wary of about 85-90% of all people--Period. I worked among "the people" for way too long to have any fanciful ideas about the general population. It's amazing the amount of seemingly normal people who just regularly tell lies--and about things that don't matter. I feel a blog coming on--stay tuned.

Suzie Petunia said...

I was thinking, "Lazy River?! What is Amy doing at 7-Peaks in MARCH?!" And then I remembered the awesome indoor pool near your home - lazy river and all. I wish our kids could go swimming together!

I didn't know you were writing for a magazine! How do I get my own copy?! This is so exciting!!

Oscarson Photography said...

my companion and i knocked on the door of a less active memver in a new area in japan and the first thing she said to us was, "you see, im going through menopause.. you dont know that word do you? here look it up."

michaelstubbs said...

Congratulations on the writing job! I recently got published in the school newspaper (and got paid), and it is so cool to see myself as a writer of things not assigned to me. Do you want to borrow my writing pen? It was given to me by my uncle. He's got hemorrhoids and a boil on his back. He also married this lady from Kansas whose brother is in prison.

Emma Jo said...

Yeah Hooray! i am sew happi fur yor new job..;! i hop that you lik riting and edittinng peeples stuf.

Julie said...

Haa! You guys are so funny. Anyway-- I always KNEW you would be a writer, Amy! Keep us posted and let us know how to access the magazine! I am related to famous people!! It is funny you mention strange characters in real life-- I met one the other day at the grocery store-- I got her life story in 5 minutes at the check-out line. Apparently because we live in the same town and our daughters go to pre-school together, she feels a strong connection with me. I somehow don't feel that connection and am trying to find polite excuses so that our daughters don't have to play-- for safety reasons (I am really trying to not be judgmental, but I already know WAY to much-- not because I wanted to either!)

Julie said...

Okay, I am dumb-- I just clicked on Wasatch Woman and-- cool! I am excited for your articles!!

Natalie C. said...

Congrats! That is exciting. I'll be looking for the link where we can access your article online! :)