So...every day at 5:30 p.m., my two little boys put their lives on hold to watch "The Brady Bunch" on PBS. They each get a pillow for the couch, lay down in their special spots on the floor, and are comatose until the final "laugh" when they slowly return to consciousness and I can get them to talk to me again. Isn't it strange? I watched the Brady Bunch with a certain cult-like worship when I was young and now my children have found their way to the Brady house all on their own. What exactly is the appeal?
Anyway...today's episode was the one where Greg decides that because he is now a high school freshman, he deserves his own bedroom. He buys the vest with the fringe, the hip hugging striped bell bottoms, and big, dark sunglasses and turns his dad's "den" into his groovy bedroom. Are you with me? Do you remember this episode? Well, ole' Greg Brady lit a real bonfire under my boys because midway through the show they both jumped up and announced that they wanted their own rooms. They didn't even finish watching the episode before they had moved themselves out of the bedroom they share and in to their own "groovy" bedrooms (Jake has used that word more than a dozen times tonight and I'm starting to worry). Matthew moved himself in to the living room. He unrolled a huge foam camping pad, moved all his blankets, pillows, and stuffed animals, and brought 5 pairs of super hero underwear that he draped all over the big, blue armchair. He brought a pair of pajamas, some play clothes, and an extra pair of warm socks.
Jacob moved in to the guest room downstairs. He set up 5 library books against the night stand for some "night time reading", brought down all his bed stuff, his school uniform, his play clothes, some extra underwear, and decorated the night stand with plastic trees and dinosaurs. Both boys are sound asleep in their new digs. They couldn't WAIT to go to bed tonight. They were in jammies at 7:00 p.m. and begging for bed at 7:30 p.m. I hate Greg Brady. If my sons show up tomorrow morning with fringe and tight pants, I'm suing PBS.
Tonight at dinner Matthew asked us if he could get a car. Earlier today he told me he wanted a "motor scooter" so he could "get around easier". Just where on earth is my 4-year old having a hard time getting around to? And why are my kids growing up so fast?
They are now banned from PBS and the Brady Bunch.
10 comments:
I'm sorry...you don't know me, but I just had to tell you that this cracked me up! How cute are they?
And darn that Greg Brady!! :)
That is so funny! Did either of them stop to consider only ONE of them had to move out in order to have their own rooms? :) They're begging to go to bed at 7:30 and that is a BAD thing?? :) Good luck suing PBS. Can you just imagine the fund raising drives... "Ever since the Greg Brady law suit we're in need of your continued support more than ever..." ha ha
I'm with Suzie...How is a 7:30pm plea for bed a bad thing?!
Hey, you could have moved into their old room and had a room of YOUR own! I have always found Greg Brady to be annoying and embarrassing to watch...kind of like looking in on my own adolescence and realizing how uncool I really was. Yeah, he's not a groovy role model, that's all.
wow, this is really funny. and the mental image of matt on a scooter is both hilarious and scary!
Groovy...your kids are way too perceptive. And PBS could be worse, they could be hallucinating about big purple dinosaurs.
So Funny. I usually let me boys watch Curious George at 5 pm while I make my attempt at making something edible for dinner. One day, they too discovered The Brady Bunch, as it comes on right after little georgie. I too have banned them from watching it...it gives them all sorts of ideas!! We will stick to Curious George thank you very much!
This is the funniest story I have heard in a long time. And you tell it so well.
I dunno, I learned a lot of valuable lessons from the Brady Family...and I turned out just groovy, man! Watch for hanging beads in the doorway--and I believe--according to schedule--sometime in the near future Hannah might get hit in the nose with a football?
F-F-F-I-L! L-L-L-M-O! O,O,O-R-E--FILMORE JUNIOR HIGH! WOOOO!
I like this story too. My sister's kids are also addicted to the Brady Bunch. I used to get in trouble for watching old re-runs like that, so I always feel guilty if I hear that theme song. I can't say that I ever saw more than half an episode, but I fully support your kids in their habit. I have got to hear more stories like this every week.
All I have to say, is that you are one "groovy" mom. While my little one is only 2 I can't imagine myself ever letting her imagination go that far. Shows how "ungroovy" I am. You have inspired me though to be more open minded and to let the dirty underwear fall where they may.
Post a Comment