I haven't been able to access my blogger account for days and days and days. Every time I have tried, it has kicked me out of the entire internet application. I find it so humiliating to be rejected by my computer. I just won't stand for it...except I am at the complete mercy of this out-dated piece of crap technology. It senses my fear and plays on it.
But that isn't what I was going to write about.
Today I attended a luncheon at the Governor's Mansion in Salt Lake City with Mary Kaye Huntsman (first lady of Utah), Gail Miller (wife of Larry H. Miller) and D. Wright (wife of Doug Wright...some KSL radio broadcaster person). I ate pasta with grilled chicken in a citrus sauce, a crunchy delicious roll with herbed butter, a fabulous dessert in a magnificent looking glass thing, and sipped ice-cold raspberry lemonade from a goblet. I used a cloth napkin and dabbed gently to avoid smearing my lipstick. I sat next to Kari Evans (wife of Richard Paul Evans who is a local author that writes books I've only ever heard of but never read!) who is a wonderful lady and she gracefully ignored the basil that I had stuck in my teeth for several minutes after eating the afore mentioned pasta for lunch. I wore shoes with a heel, shaved my legs and ironed my dress. Carrie Ann did my eye make-up AND watched my children for me. I even got to drive her fancy-schmancy car with the air-conditioning that is deliciously cold. It was a nice afternoon.
But I was way out of my league.
At one point, the host of a show called Studio 5 (never watched it but I guess it's a morning show on NBC here in Utah) asked me how I became a writer for Wasatch Woman magazine. I really didn't know what to say so I just gave her the truth. I moved in to a ward where I was assigned to visit teach a woman named Ganel-Lyn Condie. Ganel and I became really good friends and she started a magazine and I started writing a blog and we both attended the same book group. Ganel liked my blog and was desperate for some people to write for the magazine and I liked Ganel and was desperate for some diversion to add a little variety to my day and here we all are. I don't think it was the answer she was expecting.
Like I said, I was way out of my league.
I love writing for Wasatch Woman magazine. It has provided some really interesting opportunities and I have met some amazing people. But I still have to laugh when I play dress-up and go to "lunch" with people who have way more talent for going to lunch gracefully than I do. I've often wondered where my future will take me and what I will do when I really, truly grow-up. I know I still have many, many incredible, important, wonderful phases of life ahead of me and I can't wait to see where this whole journey leads. I really am grateful for all the people who have been and continue to be an inspiration and motivation for me. But I decided that wherever life takes me, I hope sweats and tennis shoes are the preferred dress standard and that a meal at McDonalds play land is appropriate for "lunch". I'm far more comfortable there.
3 comments:
Amy. I admire you.
You have had some pretty amazing experiences in your life, actually. Don't sell yourself short on fitting in. If the truth were to be known, most of those "famous" people kind of fell into their positions just like you and would rather be wearing sweats. Personally, I am amazed at all that you do.
YOu give us all a good eye on ourselves. That is why you write. Wish I could express myself so well and enjoy life as much as you do.
Post a Comment