J. is having a lucky streak right now! Last month the local library held a "scary story contest" and J. decided to enter! He wrote the funniest story that actually has some plot and character development...I was a little shocked. I typed it for him but he did every bit of the writing and editing. We turned in it and crossed our fingers.
Last Monday night we went to the library to hear the winners of the contest announced and guess what?? J. won "honorable mention" for his story in the 6-8 year old category. This honorable mention came with a certificate and $5.00 cash! He thought he had hit the jackpot. So I present to you now, first time award winning author, Big J. and his scary Halloween story....
Once there was a Halloween house. It was scarier than the one you saw on the cover. If you went inside, there was no way out. If you ever tried to get out, you would need one million flashlights. It was because of the Dracula, the mummy, the witch, the ghost, and the bat that lived there. They liked to break the light switch anytime someone came near. Whenever kids came trick or treating, as soon as the kids heard the footsteps coming to the door, they ran away. The footsteps sounded spooky.
The monsters always knew they were nice. One Halloween, they witch said, “We are nice monsters. Why do kids run away from us when they come trick or treating? Is it because of our footsteps? We need to make sure that no kids hear our footsteps this Halloween.”
On Halloween night when kids came trick or treating, they rang the doorbell but they didn’t hear any footsteps so they thought no one lived there anymore. They just walked away.
The next Halloween, the mummy said, “Last Halloween kids rang the doorbell but they didn’t stay for treats. Is it because of the looks outside our house?” On Halloween night, the monsters put made their footsteps sound like human footsteps and made the outside of their house not look so spooky. But the outside of their house did not have enough Halloween decorations so when kids came trick or treating, they thought the monsters weren’t celebrating Halloween. They walked around to the back but the back of the house looked the exact same. So the kids just left.
Next Halloween, the bat said, “Last Halloween kids didn’t come trick or treating. They didn’t even ring our doorbell! Maybe it’s because the doorbell sound is too scary.” So that Halloween night, they made their footsteps sound like humans, decorated their house like anyone else would decorate for Halloween, and made the doorbell sound like a bunch of bats flying out. (It usually sounded like a million monsters growling.) When kids came trick or treating, they rang the doorbell and all they heard was a bunch of bats flying and they got really scared and ran away (a million miles per hour!).
On the next Halloween, Dracula said, “I heard kids ring the doorbell last Halloween but when I answered the door, I didn’t see anyone there! Maybe it is because of the yard, all dirty and trashy.” That Halloween night, they made their footsteps sound like humans, decorated their house like anyone else would decorate for Halloween, made the doorbell sound like a regular doorbell and cleaned up the yard (but they made it look like a bunch of monsters were coming out of the ground). When the kids came trick or treating and they saw the yard, they tried not to think it was real but there was too much stuff and thought it was definitely real so they walked away quietly.
The following Halloween, the ghost said, “Last Halloween I didn’t even hear the doorbell ring. Is it because of the way we look? Dress up like humans everybody!” So that Halloween night, they made their footsteps sound like humans, decorated their house like anyone else would decorate for Halloween, made the doorbell sound like a regular doorbell, cleaned up the yard, and dressed up in human costumes. When kids came trick or treating and they rang the doorbell and the mummy answered the door all dressed up like a human, the kids said, “Trick or Treat!” and took a piece of candy. For all the rest of the Halloweens, the monsters were happy because kids came trick or treating.
THE END.
12 comments:
(a "million") BRAVO!!!!
So I've never posted anything on your blog. (Hope I'm allowed!) That was a fantastic story! A few pictures and an agent and you're in business.
What a creatively adorable nephew I have. I love it and want to print it out for future Halloweens. Are there illustrations?
Chellae...welcome to my blog! I'm so happy you are here and blogging. I've sneaked over to your blog but I don't know if I commented. Sometimes I only have time to read but I will try to comment more! Come by any time.
And Em...yes, the story is available for purchase with or without illustrations. I'm sure we could make arrangements for you to receive a copy at a deeply discounted price (like free?!)
If only the kids knew who they REALLY were! They are REAL MONSTERS giving them candy!!! Cool story, J. I want to see the illustrations!
love it!!
John Grimsham move over! That is one amazingly good story! Way to go J!
Maybe John Grisham should do the moving over and I should get new fingers.....
Wow--I'm impressed...so piognant too--I mean, aren't we all just monsters "dressed up like humans" some days?
that was an awesome story. i love your kids...and you and Chris, too!
What a literary masterpiece! (That means a well written story, J.) Loved it, and my boys, J&J wanted me to read it to them again and again!
Way to go J!! my favorite part was at the end, right before the monsters got it right, the kids got scared and "walked away quiety" like nothing had happened. wonderful story telling!!!
Post a Comment