J. and M. dressed up for Halloween parties at school. J. is a "roman citizen" and M. is Peter Pan.
Our neighbors had a friend visiting them from Norway who had brought his little 5-year old boy along. They were here over Halloween and this little boy thought he had won the lottery. He just couldn't get over the fact that in America they have a holiday where you go around and people give out free candy...as much as you want. My friend said that every time someone dropped a piece of candy in his bucket, he would just stare at it with a really stunned, delighted expression. And really...can you beat Halloween? I am delightfully full of Reese's Peanut Butter cups, Mound bars, and Butterfingers. I've met my quota and feel like I can face this year with renewed energy and enthusiasm. So here is how we spent our day o' indulgence...
At J.'s charter school they made all the kids write a report on a historical character they wanted to be in order to get permission to dress up. They keep it all very educational and a little over the edge but J. didn't seem to mind. He decided he wanted to be a "roman citizen" (not a roman soldier, not Caesar, just a roman citizen...not sure where the idea came from!) so he wrote what I thought was a very intelligent report and got permission for his costume. Chris made an amazing toga like contraption out of a white sheet and fashioned a real laurel leaf wreath for his head. I thought J. looked rather sophisticated and "romanesque"! The kids and I went over to his school for the Halloween assembly where J. marched in the costume parade and then won an award for his report that he wrote! We were so, so, so proud! A major award! :>)
J. marching in his Halloween parade at school.
J. receiving his award during the assembly.
When we got home, M. was disturbed that I hadn't carved a pumpkin yet. Now I have to admit something here...please don't think that I'm unpatriotic or un-American but I really don't like carving pumpkins (or dyeing easter eggs for that matter). I find it slimy and messy and I don't have a lick of artistic talent so my pumpkins never look very interesting. Chris always carves pumpkins with the kids and I am always THERE but just not sticking my hand or knife in to any pumpkins. So in order to put my son's mind at ease, I went and got our box of Mr. and Mrs. Potato accessories and went to town on the pumpkins outside and I have to say, I was rather pleased by the results. I may have found my pumpkin niche!
That afternoon we did a little costume changing and headed over to Chris' work for some pre-trick or treating. It was fabulous! People were handing premium candy and I literally ate my way silly through the experience! The kids walked out with pounds and pounds of candy and I was ready to just sit on the couch rubbing my buddha belly and watch a scary movie but the kids were not to be deterred from their real Halloween experience. So...we got home, emptied all the buckets from round 1 and prepared for round 2. J. had chosen to be Spiderman for Halloween, H. was Snow White, and M. went through a different costume every time we had an occasion to dress up. At one party he was a knight, the next party he was Peter Pan, school party he was a dragon, and on Halloween Eve he walked out as a vampire. (We do have an impressive dress-up box if you ever want to come and play!) Like I said, H. was a beautiful Snow White until moments before we were supposed to go out trick or treating and instead of wearing her amazing Snow White dress with the ruffle socks, black patent leather mary janes, and gorgeous golden curls tied in a charming red bow, she took it all off and decided she wanted to wear the dirty, dingy, matted purple fur unicorn costume that I bought at DI and can't quite get that funky smell out of. (Serves me right for buying a purple unicorn costume...it just seemed like such a good idea at the time! I hate unicorns!) After a meltdown, a temper tantrum, and a battle out on the front porch, Chris managed to convince her to be Snow White and the kids took off with their father and grandfather for some trick or treating.
The kids ready for some trick or treating!
The kids with their grandpa...I'm starting to see where my husband gets his artistic talent!
I stayed behind with grandma and Elvis (Carrie) to fix a fall feast. We had acorn squash filled with a long grain, wild rice mixture, pasta alfredo with hot dogs cut on top to look like an octopus (for the kids), assorted veggies and dip, salsa and chips, gummy worm ice-cubes floating in the drink and a lovely apple-caramel cake for dessert. I was proud of the feast. I don't do feasts very often.
Well, the kids were out LOTS longer than I thought they would be. Chris commented that once you kind of find your trick-or-treating groove, it is hard to stop. They came back with tons more candy and deliriously happy grins. We ate, we purged, we ate some more. Everything you could ever want from a holiday...
It was a delightful day. I love Halloween...not so much the actual holiday but the arrival of autumn. The crisp weather, the gorgeous leaves, the decorations and chunky sweaters and new jeans. It is my favorite time of year.
P.S. If you are an Oscarson or suffer from mild to severe OCD then you will appreciate this postscript. M. came home from trick or treating and immediately organized all his candy in to specific piles and groups. He then placed each pile in an individual snack size baggie and rearranged them back in to his spider container. I couldn't have been more proud!
6 comments:
I am so so sad that we couldn't come for Halloween...yours was much more fun. And I just want to hug M for his organizational skills, it gives me chills.
I was there! I was there! (I was Elvis) And I had a very nice time. The food was AMAZING and so season-appropriate. Chris's family is so nice, although Grandpa was REALLY scarry looking. Thank you for letting me crash your party, can I come every year?
Good grief you pack a lot into one day. I just put a witch hat on and greeted kids at the door and thought I was doing good. You definitely had much more fun
You make me tired...The kids looked great, and I love the pumpkins...great idea. The feast sounds amazing!
aaww the pumpkins are so funny and cute, so are their costumes!!
LOVE IT! Doesn't it crack you up that the kids have to change costumes from school to home to trick or treating? Whew.
Post a Comment