Friday, January 04, 2008

My T.V. Debuts

I have had my 30 seconds of fame...which actually happened so early in the morning that I'm not sure anyone was really awake. On December 14th, my friend and I appeared on Good Things Utah, a local "girly" morning show on ABC4. I did the set-up for our segment and my friend actually appeared on the show to represent the Children's Literature Association of Utah (CLAU), the organization I am board member of. We talked about using books as great gifts and the basis for creating long-lasting memories. If I might be so bold, you should go check out our link at CLAU website (look at the top and click "Gift Ideas")

Well, one of the hosts that day is also a morning reporter for the station and she called me a couple days later and asked if we would be interested in appearing on their early morning show "Book" segment. She wanted both my friend and I to appear on the show and asked if I knew where we could find some kids to appear on the show as well. As luck would have it, I have 3 hams and my friend has 6 hams! We were well-stocked. So on January 2nd, at 5:45 a.m., my little family showed up at the Salt Lake City Main Library to film our segment. (Are you doing the math? That means we were up at 4:30 a.m. so we could leave by 5:00 a.m. Scary stuff.) We got everything set-up and ready to shoot and as they went to shoot the teaser, they discovered some technical difficulties with the equipment. They tried and tried to get it too work (it was supposed to be a live feed) and finally the station told her to get the segment shot and drive it in as fast as she could. So we shot the whole 3 minutes in one take and she took off. It was supposed to be 2 different 4 minute segments...I was really disappointed at first. Especially because we were in Salt Lake City at 6:30 a.m. But we redeemed the morning with a huge breakfast at IHOP and watched the sun rise as we stuffed our mouths full of eggs, bacon and pancakes. It was a really fun experience...M. got lots of air time. I'm going to try and post the link. TV Debut.

7 comments:

Abby said...

Wow! (When Cubby isn't watching Cars on the other monitor I will definitely be checking it out!) You guys are getting famous! Don't forget about the little people who didn't so much help you get where you are today but who admire you very much!

michaelstubbs said...

Good for you...I will disagree with this 30 seconds of fame thing, however. I am going to say at least 60 seconds. I remember watching a little morning tv one summer morning on a break from lifeguarding. Leeza Gibbons was on tv and was talking about makeovers. She ran a clip of 4 roommates in Provo, Utah who wanted to dye their hair. They played music by Blondie...two of the women were named Oscarson...does any of this sound familiar? Cousin, people just want to see you on tv. Skip the 30 seconds and go for a weekly show.

Laura said...

Hey MichaelStubbs: I HAVE the actual video--my husband worked with one of those Oscarson gals' husbands and through some sort of transaction, we still have it!!

I'd love to "show and tell..."

AMY--HELLO GORGEOUS WOMAN IN RED!!!! TV definitely suits you!!!!

Bravo, and well done!
(Cute kids, too!)

Suzie Petunia said...

You are a beauty and a tv-personality-natural! Yawzah! You look hot in red! :) Oh, and its great that you're so involved with literature and all. ha ha

I would love to see that old Leeza (Lizza?) segment again!

mo said...

I was actually up at 6 am and watching you live! You all looked fabulous, dahhhllling! Especially considering the hour! I can't believe that Mike actually saw you on that Leza segment. You know fame is one thing but some things live on ignominously. Like famous and "IN-famous."

Emma Jo said...

I saw you! I saw you!

SP said...

Amy- you are amazingly fantastic and superb at everything! That was cool, thanks for posting.