I think about blogging all the time. When funny or sad or weird or profound things happen I compose it all in my mind in to a splendid blog but alas, the daily grind triumphs and in the end I always choose sleeping over composing. My days are filled with wonderful things though. I am so grateful for a life filled with so much that brings me joy. I love my work at my children's school. I help in the library but my favorite time is working with the kids in the classroom. On Fridays, I go in and H. and I read to J.'s class. We take "special lunch" with us and H. gets to sit in a "big kid" desk to eat while I read out loud. I choose the books to read so they get a wide variety...poetry, non-fiction, picture books, etc. After each book I let the kids vote and we record their scores on the board. I don't know why the voting is so meaningful but I do think they like having their opinion asked!
I love writing my book column. It takes to me to all sorts of fascinating literature and pushes my mind in a direction that isn't always comfortable but feels good as I learn to stretch and grow in a new craft. I've been asked to write 2 additional articles for the magazine...one on charter schools and the other on the Timpanogos Storytelling Festival. This will present whole new opportunities and challenges and I love having that to look forward to.
I love working out with my friend Tonya. We have been walking and lifting 3 days a week since November and it has not only done my body good, but done my soul even better. With every lap of the track, I laugh and talk and get free therapy...and I forget I'm exercising. Doesn't get any better than that!
I love my 2 book groups. Each book group is comprised of a different set of people, friends from such important phases of my life. And I love that my life moves forward with these amazing women taking such significant part. We call it a book group but my husband sometimes chuckles at how much "book" discussion actually happens. We always read the books and we always devote time to what we have read but it is the real life drama and shared experiences that uplift and motivate and fill my inner teacup the most!
I love belonging to the CLAU organization. I love promoting children's literature all over the state and standing for values that I feel so passionate about. I love working with so many different types of people that have truly educated me and blessed my life. I love being exposed to so many different types of literature and learning to give a voice to the things I think. I still stutter and stumble but it has opened avenues I didn't know were a possibility.
I love my family. I am constantly overwhelmed by the daily challenges of raising 3 little children and trying to find balance in the world but again, I love the physical, emotional, spiritual opportunities for growth that it brings. I have stopped hoping for the day that I will wake up and not be overwhelmed by being a mother...it isn't going to happen. Instead, I wake up praying for the wisdom and strength to be what they need and to set an example for them that will lead them to embrace what I hope will be happiness in their lives. A big charge...one I don't take lightly although I'm not always very good at it. I want my children to love learning and reading and talking and playing and imagining and listening and adventures and quiet time and scripture reading and prayer...I want them to love people in all their varieties. I want them to be loved and appreciated for who they are and what they bring to this world. Sigh.
And a significant part of that family is my husband...I love my husband. The longer I am married, the more convinced I am that I have been given a rare and wonderful gift in finding this man who wipes bums, watches kids, sweeps floors, cleans bathrooms, grows gardens, plays endless games with his kids and uses his amazing talents to bless the lives of others both in his professional career and personal life. He is thoughtful, funny, kind, compassionate, loyal and dedicated in all aspects of his life. I love holding his hand and kissing him and being with him. He is such a joy and strength and constant in my life.
So there you have it...my daily grind. Sometimes it is hard. Sometimes all these great experiences collide and I feel stressed but most of the time it provides a rhythm and balance that soothe and feed my spirit in wonderful ways. Moderation in all things...I'm learning that. And I'm trying to learn to say "no"...I'm good at that mentally but struggling to say it out loud. Life is grand. Opportunities are around every corner. Share what you love with your kids. Don't think of your interests and hobbies as being exclusively yours. Find ways to invite your children in to what you love and cherish. Not only do you give them grand experiences to enjoy and explore, but you have more time to do those things yourself. Get out, explore your neighborhood, volunteer to do something you didn't know how to do, don't be afraid to take your kids with you and remember that however hard one phase of life seems, it will end and joy can be found in the strangest places.
Ah, ain't life grand?!
9 comments:
Oh how I love having you as my sister. You are such a strength in my life, even when you are so far away and calls get interrupted by said daily grind. Tell your family I love them too!
you do got cute, and we got the camera... We need to come by for a cute Carr shoot.
TWO book clubs?..I feel so used and betrayed...
Can't wait to read your upcoming articles!! We have a new charter jr high/highschool being built right by our subdivision--Ky is enrolled, and I could not be more pleased!!
The day you actually say "no" to someone/something, will be the day I say no to shoes...HIGHLY unlikely!
Such good thoughts. Now I can tackle my Monday.
Yeah, you blogged! I love hearing that my children are content and grateful for their lives. You have a lot to be thankful for and so do I...including a daughter like you!
Thanks for the post...I must admit that I feel a bit jealous of all those fun and intersting things you get to be involved in. I do get to go help at my kids' schools, and I LOVE doing that. But, I need to find something to expand my mind a little. But, sometimes I feel stretched too much already. How do you do it?? Your are fun and full of energy.
You've got it good... you've got it busy, but you've got it good.
I'm still amazed at how much you do, and how well you do it all. You are amazing.
Life IS grand, and you have put it so eloquently. I'm grateful to have a friend in you! Way to fill your life with truly good things, and focus especially on the best! You're wonderful.
Post a Comment