Sunday, October 05, 2008

4th Day of School

OK…so the first day of school was a breeze…a no-brainer. I was really starting to feel pretty arrogant about how well the whole "school" thing was unfolding…and then we hit day 4. Approximately 15 minutes before we were supposed to leave and pick up our carpool kids, I asked MC to go get dressed. He simply looked and me and said, "No." I wasn’t overly concerned until I asked him again 5 minutes later, with 10 minutes until departure time, and he still calmly but firmly answered, "No". I girded my loins, grabbed his clothes and marched into the family room with 5 minutes until take off. He heard me coming and before I could reach the side of the couch, he was crouching defensively on one side of the kitchen island, safely out of reach. "MC, I’m not going to ask you again. It is time to get dressed for school. We are going to be late picking up the other kids. You need to put your clothes on." It may have been my imagination but I swear he growled at me.

Just a side note for those of you who thought having an island in the middle of the kitchen was a pretty slick idea. I’m going to let you in on something. That same island that you thought would be a stunning, convenient addition to your kitchen will prove to be the very thing that will one day back you into a bad place, a dark, lonely, desperate corner. Picture this…your 5-year old son doesn’t want to get dressed and go to kindergarten. He is on one side of the island and you are facing him from the other side. To make things worse, you are wearing socks and it’s a hard wood floor. Your hands are full of clothes and you are eyeing each other like boxers in a ring. You make a move, he moves with you. You attempt to move the other way and he has already anticipated your move…he slides the other direction. You could try to chase him but who are you kidding. He is barefoot AND 5 years old and your body is not what it once was…especially taking those slippery corners. You can threaten him but it doesn’t do any good because you know you can’t catch him. Suddenly you hear the front door open. Your 3-year old is wandering outside but if you change positions, you know that 5-year old will make a break for it and catching him outside is not only tricky but you know this child is not above pulling out all the stops and screaming at the top of his lungs, "Help! Someone please help me!" and you don’t know how many more times you can convince the neighbors next door that he is just a really dramatic child and you aren’t really beating him. He smells the fresh air and eyes the open door. You crouch. You may only have one chance and you have to be ready. He moves and after a slippery start, you’re after him. He makes it out into the grass before you throw the clothes into the air and body slam him on the grass. You’ve got him and you are ready. You grab the screaming 5-year old under your arm, throw open the door to the mini-van, toss him in and yell at your 3-year old to get in or get left behind because you are a grown-up on a mission and getting this child to kindergarten precedes all other things (including whether the 3-year old is actually wearing pants or shoes). You grab his clothes, attempt to fasten the seat belt, slam the door and lock it before he has time to unbuckle and get it open. You pause for a moment…he may be screaming bloody murder, but he’s in and for a moment you taste victory.

OK…so I’m not saying I’m sure that’s how it is for people but I’ve just heard.

We pick up the other 2 kids and MC stops crying. I figure he has it out of his system and he will have a chance to cool down before we get to school. All is well…until we pull up to the kindergarten doors. Before I even stop the car, he is flattened against the seat in the back where not only can I not reach, but I have difficulty "fitting". The other 2 kids get out and back away slowly, unwilling to look away but too frightened to stay close. I gently try to coerce MC to the front. I flatter him, bribe him, threaten him, and finally reach in with my super human stretchy arms, grab him by the back of the shirt and drag him around to the door. I then have to completely undress him and redress him in something akin to "Sunday" clothes (blasted school uniform…which I actually love but hate trying to get on a coiled, angry kindergartener). Other parents are pulling up to drop off their children and mine is literally on the sidewalk with me on top, my knee pinned on top of his chest to keep him down while I try to force on a pair of socks. I’m sweating, he’s screaming, and people really don’t want to get involved but they can’t look away. It is a bad car accident happening right on the sidewalk in front of the kindergarten door. I’m afraid someone is going to call Child Protective Services so I keep trying to wave my hands and roll my eyes and say, "Ha. Kids! Aren’t they great?" but no one is buying my forced complacency and they’re dying to see who is going to win the battle. HB is sitting in her car seat singing to her herself. It has become her defense mechanism.

Finally, it is over. MC is standing there in a uniform and I look a little flushed and disheveled but we are ready. I walk him into his classroom where he takes one look at his teacher and the whole class sitting serenely on the rug for "circle time" and he grabs my leg and screams, "Please don’t leave me! Mom, please don’t leave me!" Suddenly this child that I wanted to string up a minute ago is tugging at my heart strings so hard that I’m afraid I’m going to grab him and make a run for the door. What am I doing? I can’t leave him here. He is sad. He wants his mom. He has great big, blue eyes and delicious cheeks and he needs me to rescue him from kindergarten. I’m frozen in place. I can’t move. Finally his teacher gently takes MC and tells me to go. She can handle it and he will be fine. I back out of the classroom reluctantly. Will he really be fine? He is screaming my name. He wants me. I can’t leave him here.

I wander out to the car bewildered. What just happened here? I drive away slowly with a heavy heart and really wild hair. No one warned me a mother could feel 2 opposing extreme emotions in such a short amount of time. I fret for 3 hours.

And then he bounds home as if nothing has happened. Life is good and he earned a green card and he loves school and I’m wondering if my child is bi-polar and needs medication. While I wonder about him, I feel pretty certain about me. If this is kindergarten with MC, I’m going to need to be medicated. Heavily. I head in to my room and to take a long nap. I’m going to need all my strength to face day 5.

15 comments:

Abby said...

So it doesn't stop with the "terrible threes?" ...I quit.
You did make me LOL though, which is funny bc my own mom experiences right now make me cry.

Deena ♥ Curtis said...

It's gonna be a long year for ya!!! I'd see about medication for both of you!! (Ha Ha)

Emma Jo said...

he he, kids are stinkers. It could have been worse...I remember Abby throwing up her breakfast in the car because she was so upset (that's big abby, not little.)

mo said...

Ah yes...been there, done that, glad it's over. I'm totally sympathetic. New Jersey 1989...I could still hear Abby crying when I would get to the front door of the school and her classroom was waaaay down the hall and around the corner. It's agonizing. I can't remember how long it went on but it seems like it was months.

Julie said...

I am laughing-- not at you, WITH you, because I can totally relate! That was a great. I think that my SO and your MC are very similar, very passionate about EVERYTHING! That was just sooo true and that is why it was soooo funny!!

(BTW, my mom had to lock me out of the house for a long time when I was in first grade. I wouldn't go to school. She said she would just hear me banging on the door and crying for her to let me in and eventually I'd walk to school. She said I would come home as happy as could be and tell all about school, but the next day it would start all over! Tell MC I can relate!!)

Laura said...

Si and MC? Two peas in a pod, my friend, two peas in a pod...good times, good times.....

Leese said...

I feel your pain! My k had to see the school councelor most mornings who finally got her to stop crying by letting her carry a special Barbie around school all day! That was Kindergarten - we don't need the councelor anymore, but it's still a battle some days to get her out of bed - let alone dressed and breakfasted!(yeah, I made that word up!) Best of luck!

katyvee said...

Would now be a bad time to express my total and complete pleasure in the fact that Bo has trotted off to Kindergarden for 3 weeks now without so much as a pouty lip? Somehow the fact that he has to go an extra hour for help in, are you ready-- math, reading, AND speech (we're not a brilliant people..) doesn't phase him a bit. Infact he's somewhere been led to believe his 'E.R.I.' (Early Reading Intervention.. otherwise known as the class for kids who can't say the alphabet..) is actually a 'Super Reading' class for smart kids! Wa-la. SO-- next time your little one isn't in the mood for regular class.. just mention he could have to go extra like your cousins kid.

Jessica said...

That was a great story! I am so sorry. Hopefully it is just a short term phase!

Lucky Mommy said...

You make me laugh. How did I miss so many of your posts? Thanks for being honest and writing about your not "fitting" in the back, me too! and your wild hair. My boys are starting to get defiant once in a while and it's nice to hear another mom tackle it, literally!

Anonymous said...

and that's why i love reading your blog. I'm so happy it is not only me and my kids.

Kristi T. said...

Ah! Such a breath of fresh air. Seriously it feels good to hear someone like you who I value as worlds best mother, has their moments. Treg is my little heartburn. He can make my heart burn in a really bad way or he can make my heart burn to have him near me. Oh silly is life, love your writing so very entertaining.

SP said...

Ah, I just love the way you write.

mamasuisse said...

This post had me wiping away tears, I was laughing so hard. You create such a clear picture. Now I'm really glad I don't have an island in my kitchen.

Jen -n- Jase & kids said...

I've babysat a whole slew of kids that tormented their parents in the process of heading TO my house, and especially the seperating part. No kidding, as soon as their minds are distracted to ANYthing else, they move on. The moment is over, and life is good! It's just the lucky adults that carry the morning anxiety with us all day long.
Nothing Bi-polar about it. No meds (for the child) needed.
I've got an idea, if you'd like to give it a shot? Unless you've tried this???
Since you've got to drive other kids... just be casual. Let'm know you at least need to get the other kids off, so hey, let's get in the car. Get his backback and uniform into the car wehn you get up, or the night before -- something. Let's go be the driver for the other kids... and talk to the others about what they're looking forward to at school today. Little kids stay home, take naps, do baby stuff. BIG boys get to do (all our kids classes call them centers).

Then again, maybe I just need your mailing address...I'll send you a pair of socks with NoSlip grips on the bottoms. Traction is a good thing! ;O)