Sunday, October 05, 2008

Speed Racer Moves In

I don't know how literally your children adopt fictional characters into their lives and very beings, but it seems to happen quite frequently here. I don't know whether to see this as a great character strength or indication of future schizophrenia but at least if they start hearing voices, I'll have some idea whose voices their hearing.


After watching Spiderwick Chronicles last summer, I found this in the backyard one morning.

In case it isn't immediately apparent, it is a griffith...note the stuffed horse head, wooden plank wings and I don't know if you can see it, but there is a tail made out of some other wood like object. Seeing stones were made out of pieces of cardboard box. Not bad for a quick little activity before breakfast.


Then there was the morning I walked out of my bedroom and found Indiana Jones and his sidekick parading around the kitchen.




We frequently have visits from a variety of Nephites and/or Lamanites passing through. They like to battle outside under the big tree in the front yard. It's always a little embarassing when the next door neighbors pull up and you don't know if you could even explain what was happening if you wanted to. We usually just smile and wave and act like having ancient Americans battling for control is a normal thing here. Be careful if you come to visit unannounced.




The funny thing is that a couple of weeks ago we went to the firestation on a preschool field trip and MC and HL were very hesitant about going near the fireman's gear when they had a chance to try it on. I thought that was a little strange for 2 children that spend most of their time dressed up as someone else. Maybe trying on "real" clothes was a little too close to reality. They finally consented...in limited doses.







So yesterday, quite unannounced, Speed Racer moved in. We find him to be a gracious guest with loads of personality. This morning he served me breakfast in bed and I decided upon an immediate adoption. Any good looking race car driver that insists I stay in bed while he serves me breakfast can live at my house anytime. And his Moch 5 doesn't take up alot of room. We're happy to have a new visitor.











7 comments:

katyvee said...

Lamanites and Nephites! THAT is halarious. At least you live in Utah.. it'd be even harder to explain on the streets of Missouri. Should I be ashamed that Sophie likes to dress up in 'bedazzled' t-shirts to be Hanna Montana.. and not Sarah who dwells in a tent??

Suzie Petunia said...

Your kids have so much imagination! I wonder where they get it... :) They always look like they are having so much more fun than anyone else. I love 'em!

Julie said...

I just love Indy's sidekick-- she is much more beautiful than the other ones in the movies-- and not to mention, that Indy is much more handsome, too.

Leese said...

Your kids are so darn cute and creative! Like Katy said, good thing you're in Utah - don't know how I'd begin to explain that here! I just love reading your blog - you guys do have a lot of fun. SUCH a good mom! :)

emily said...

i love this post - and my most favorite photo of all would be you in the fireman suit!

Emma Jo said...

I didn't realize that the three nephites were so young looking.

mo said...

I have a picture of a little girl dressed up like a Mother Superior nun who took over the study for a few days after watching The Sound of Music....are you really surprised by your own children's behavior?