Thursday, February 26, 2009

Pura Vida: Day 2

While I really do believe that I could easily become a woman of leisure, it doesn't appear to be in the cards for me. Which is unfortunate...I could be really, really good at it. Being in Costa Rica made me long to be a woman of leisure...being at home is really busy. So in the spirit of being brief and not neglecting my children ALL morning, I will finish documenting our adventure. In a briefer format than the first entry. (We'll see how this really unfolds...like I said, I'm not known for my brevity!)

Day 2: Monday
Ah, a spectacular day! It started with a fabulous breakfast on Jorge and Jessie's tile porch where we ate fresh scrambled eggs and toast with jam and drank hot chocolate with fresh milk from the farm with a German couple who was also staying at the inn. I even thought the little dog begging for scraps was charming...dogs are more charming in Costa Rica than America. No offense to the dog lovers out there!

Next, we headed up a very pot-hole covered road, over a decrepit bridge, up a mountain to ride a sky tram into the rain forest and then spend an amazing, glorious, unbelievable morning zip lining over the rain forest canopy coming back down. Lake Arenal is all its splendor was below us, the fabulous active volcano with the lava running down the side was next to us, and underneath us was the lush green canopy of rain forest. It was breath taking! We rode from platform to platform as we made our way down. It was indescribable!

The view of Lake Arenal from our perch on the zip line tour.

Just one fine example of the high quality roads in Costa Rica. You just close your eyes, gun the engine, and pray.

One of our guides on the zip line tour. They are hanging out waiting for the next person to come in on the very, very, very long zip lines. It was AWESOME!

Chris getting ready to fly over the jungle canopy.

I loved every minute of it! It was exhilarating! I haven't had an adrenaline rush like that in a long time!

A view from our sky tram cable car looking down at the jungle and out to the lake. We went really high up...it was so magical!

Standing on one of the platforms in our stylish helmets.

Equipment check...nothing like a stranger helping you into a harness that fits in awkward places.

And as a side note, that morning as we were getting ready to leave our inn for the day, the volcano let out a massive rumbling that both thrilled and frightened me! It was loud and rumbly...a little like Matthew burping after a satisfying meal. Made me strangely homesick for my boy...

The live volcano that "burped" periodically both scaring me to death and thrilling me to no end!

Anyway, after the zip lines, we went exploring at a near by spot where we had heard there was a hot spring that you didn't have to pay $60.00 to see and/or wade in. It was in a mysterious place and there was a naked lady there when we arrived so we just moved on. It was beautiful though!

Hiking through a mysterious tunnel to find the hot springs.

The beautiful hot spring pool...off to the right is the naked lady changing from something into something and off to the left is her "mate" floating serenely in the pool. We chose to move on.

Strange animals that are a cross between a monkey and a racoon. We saw them all over Costa Rica. Anybody know what they are?

Next, we headed into La Fortuna to check out the sights and get some lunch. The town was mostly souvenir shops trying to sell plastic things to tourists. We grabbed some lunch and headed out of town for our next adventure.

Our lunch spot. Chris is sitting at a table to the far right!

Drove up another dirt, pot-holed road and arrived at a beautiful spot up in the mountains. We hiked through the rain forest, across covered wooden bridges and down rustic stone stairs until we arrived at a breath-taking waterfall. It was stunning! I will never cease to be amazed at Mother Nature's handiwork. It would be impossible to "make" something so beautiful and wild and powerful. We took lots of pictures and Chris even ventured into the water (a little ways down stream) while I opted for a dry rock to take it all in. It was an amazing hike and beautiful sight!!

Heading into the jungle to find a waterfall!

Oh, hello big tree in a jungle. I felt so primal wandering around in a rain forest.

Spectacular La Fortuna waterfall.

I just stood and stared. I was truly mesmerized and overwhelmed. It was amazing...even the "pool of death" churning at the bottom of the waterfall.


Me and my rock.

We hiked back out and prepared to leave. I couldn't take another ride over the pot holes and I really wanted to run...strange sensation for a complete "non-runner" personality but since the road was mostly downhill, I told Chris to grab the car and catch up with me. And I have to say, the run down this mountain was a unique, wonderful experience. I started running and it was pure exhilaration! I was flying...I was running through the most amazing countryside I have ever laid eyes on. I ran past rain forest and fields and exotic birds. I ran past little homes with tile front porches and rocking chairs. I ran down a dirt road and waved at locals who thought I was crazy (or being chased by madmen). I got whistled at by Costa Rican construction workers (I have to admit I was flattered). I ran past cows and horses and dogs. I ran until I literally couldn't run anymore and then I jumped in the car and marvelled at the amazing moments life hands you when you least expect it. Sarah would understand...she describes these running moments lots and I finally got a glimpse! (I still don't like Postum though...maybe she'll change my mind about that one day as well!)

We headed back into town to do a little shopping at the tourist joints and then chose a restaurant for dinner. It was the typical dining experience in Costa Rica...a concrete floor under a wooden/metal roof, open on all sides. We had a delicious meal of "local" favorites. I loved eating in these restaurants. It made everything taste delicious and exotic and I was loving the temperature and lifestyle. It was a fabulous, perfect day!



(This is absolutely not turning out to be brief. Good grief!)











































15 comments:

chellae said...

I want to travel with you guys. You seem to find and do the coolest things. Next time you decide to head out on some crazy adventure, call us! And that running insight. It is amazing how us non-runners can sort of become runners. By the way, I read a great quote "The difference between joggers and runners is an entry form." You ARE A RUNNER! Your running is a far cry from my running yesterday in the cold and snow. Can't wait for Spring...or a tropical vacation.

Deena ♥ Curtis said...

Well, I am guessing that raccoon looking thing is a White-nose Coati?? and as for the naked lady.... that's anyone's guess!!!

Glad you had a great trip!!!

michaelstubbs said...

Looks like lots of fun. Lucky!

katyvee said...

You are now officially, cool. (Not there there was any doubt before..)
The running thing sounds RAD. It all sounds rad. How did you know where to go and what to do?? It looks so, remote?? I guess if there were tourist shops, there were other tourists.. but you look really out there.. and non-resorty, right??

Lucky Mommy said...

That waterfall looks like something out of a movie. I love going places where everything is exotic and new. For me, that may be the new Costco or going to the other grocery store nearby. So glad you had a great vacation!!!

mo said...

Oh thank you for sharing it all. It sounds so lovely and fun!!!

www.mostblessedman.blogspot.com said...

I am so freaking jealous! Costa Rica has some great surf spots. I would have spent most of my time there!

The Racoon like animals are actually just racoons. I think they call them mapashi, but I am not sure of the spelling.

www.mostblessedman.blogspot.com said...

Actually, after looking at the picture again, they are not racoons, at least not the species I thought.

Jessica said...

Oh man, that looks like SO much fun. What a beautiful place to go! Glad you shared your amazing picutres!

Emma Jo said...

We've just been catching up a little here...amazing--and speaking of amazing, we both think YOU both look amazing. And running down mountains and all? My back hurts. I will go eat junk now.
Emily& Abby
(Abbily)

Leese said...

Looks like the adventure of a lifetime! And yeah, so "non-resorty" that makes it even better! You are so brave to do the zip-line...what better way to see it all!

Carrie Ann said...

Are they lemurs? They look to fat and shorted limbed to be lemurs. Viva la pura vida! More...more!

Emma Jo said...

They are called Kinkajou (not sure about the spelling.) And they like granola bars...but I wouldn't know anything about that.

Deena ♥ Curtis said...

It's a White Nosed Coatimundi.. google that name and you will see identical pics of these little critters.

Unknown said...

I'm just loving Chris's superman shirt!
Fun trip!