I was asked to give a short presentation today in Ogden at the annual UELMA conference for librarians. As a member of CLAU (The Children's Literature Association of Utah...go check us out at www.clau.org), I had the opportunity to present the 10 new nominees in the picture book category for 2010. One of the books on the list is our beloved "I Am Invited to A Party" by Mo Willems. If you have never read this book, I must insist you go buy it. Don't go borrow it from the library because there will be tears and tantrums and gnashing of teeth when you try to return it. Plus there is a good chance it will be carried around in a small child's armpits for a few days. Anyway, HB and I drove up to SLC last night in a snowstorm to spend the night at Mo and Papa's house and after a smashing breakfast complete with berries, several types of cereals, and fresh squeezed orange, we drove up to Ogden. I took my sweet 4-year old daughter to help liven up my presentation. And she not only livened up the presentation, she brought the house down.
My daughter stood on a chair at a podium in front of a HUGE conference room FILLED with people and read the book with me. She was Gerald the Elephant and I was Piggy...the pink pig. She read the book with all her voices and expressions and shook her hips on the "Party! Party! Party!" pages. She even said her "Very fancy" line with her english accent and deep, gravelly voice. It was hilarious and darling and ever so endearing (but you know I'm just an objective 3rd party...).
When we were done, she hopped off her chair and went back to her seat to finish her Fancy Nancy sticker book. After it was all said and done, one of my friends asked, "HB, weren't you nervous?"
"Nope," HB answered.
"Not even a little frightened," my friend replied.
"Well, maybe just a little tiny bit."
And there you have it. A star was born. She stole the show...and as we wandered out of the conference room and out to where books were being sold, we saw several women scooping up their own copies of the book. One of them turned around when she saw HB and said, "Look! I'm buying your book. You sold me!" and another turned around waving her book and said, "Me too!" So dang...where was my discount?
I love my kids. They are full of surprises and charm and personality that oozes from their pores. I'm constantly amazed by what they do and the talents that come exploding from their bodies. I'm so grateful to be their mom. I'm just happy they let me tag along for the ride!!
P.S. Here are the 10 books that made the 2010 picture book nominee list:
1) Louder, Lili! (by Gennifer Choldenko)
2) The Chicken of the Family (by Mary Amato)
3) The End (David LaRochelle)
4) I Am Invited To A Party (by Mo Willems)
5) The Black Book of Color (by Menena Cottin)
6) When Dinosaurs Came With Everything (by Elise Broach)
7) My Travelin' Eye (by Jenny Sue Kostecki-Shaw)
8) South (by Patrick McDonnell)
9) Mary Had a Little Lamp (by Jack Lechner)
10) The Cow That Laid An Egg (by Andy Cutbill)
7 comments:
K, I took your advise.. I just pray it's not quite as intriguing as the last recommendation you had.. LOL
I'd ay she's got a little Oscarson pizzaz in there! You go girl! it is still a mystery to me how public speaking freaks some people out.. I may actually PREFER public speaking-- to private! Whenever i'm sitting in a church lesson or sacrament meeting-- I always think.. I'd rather be teaching (even when I'm clueless on the subjuect. What's wrong with me?)
I'm gonna buy the book. We recently purchased "Pinkalicious", just cause that's an awesome title.
Is there any question that she'd be such a star? She's so dang adorable and hillarious! I love that I got to hear her english accent last summer - it cracks me up! We'll be out to find the book tomorrow!
Knowing the shining star her mother is...I'm not surprised one bit! Good job girls! One of these days you'll find a way to make money from these talents of yours.
I am going to amazon all those books right this minute. I never doubted that your children would be charming, and smart and adorable!!! I recall another one of your children being invited to share an impromptu song in front of the entire congregation one Sunday, am I right?
Oh, I want to be in the audience clapping my hands and throwing roses.
And Katy, Pinkalicious is a current fave around our house.
Wouldn't Aunt Boo and Mema be proud of your little thespian? I think there is a bit of the two of them in her. BTW, you left your Jacques Cousteau book here, in case you are looking for it. I wish HB was here to read it to me!
Post a Comment