Friday, March 06, 2009

Pura Vida: The Finale

I mean really...it just goes on and on. But we are going to call this the "finale" in hopes that it will help me move on with my life and quit dwelling on paradise.
Tuesday morning we slept...until we felt like getting up. That doesn't happen much in my world these days. We wandered up to the patio where we enjoyed another delicious breakfast from the farm and then sat on our front porch and waited for the volcano to show itself. Catching a glimpse of the "cone" is a rare and wonderful thing. We were determined to see it before we left. And it teased us to utter distraction...the clouds would start to move, they would part, we would be poised with the camera and camcorder...and then nothing. We just couldn't move on with our lives. We were so determined.

Chris waiting and waiting and waiting for that volcano to show itself.

Me waiting for the volcano while lounging on the front porch devouring an entire delicious book. Is this the appropriate time to bear testimony of the amazing Jessica Day George? She is a phenomenal author and I can't get enough of her.

The closest we got to seeing the entire volcano.

This volcano was SUCH a tease!

We reluctantly checked out of our love cottage and started the drive back to Liberia. I chose to drive the entire way back to avoid the car sickness and it was a peaceful, beautiful drive back. We only got lost once...saw a little bit of the local countryside. By the time we got back to the car rental place, I realized I had burned the living daylights out of my left arm. That was the arm hanging casually out the window, in the sun, the entire drive back. I looked like a very strange Dr. Seuss character with my fleshy right arm and bright lobster red left arm. Charming!

We hitched a ride to the airport where we were supposed to meet up with the group from Chris' work that were flying in. When we got there, it was pretty deserted. So much for the shuttle. We instantly became a hunk of living, walking, breathing, fare-paying meat for all the taxi drivers sitting around. I think a couple of them salivated. Finally one approached us and Chris asked how much it would be to drive us to the resort. He said $45.00. Chris said it was too expensive. At that point I had to let out a small chuckle because really, we had no other options. But the desperate taxi driver looked a little disgusted and finally said he would do it for $40.00. Chris accepted and we began the long, windy, confusing drive to our resort.

Thus begins the next chapter in our little vacation...the part that we didn't pay for but did our best to take absolute advantage of. You have to understand...we are fairly simple people with very limited means. We are budget travelers. We have never even been on a cruise. So imagine these 2 vacation red-necks showing up at the gated, all-inclusive, 4-star resort. I've NEVER felt so frumpy in my Old Navy jean skirt and orange T-shirt. But is was beautiful! There was the "main" building that sat on top of the hill and had a grand sweeping staircase that led down to the pool area. It had open verandas with couches and chairs for lounging, a disco, a bar, and 3 fabulous restaurants (the Italian, the Oriental, and the buffet). They checked us in, gave us the magic wristbands that gave us everything for FREE, and drove us to our fabulous room.

Our bed with the fluffy white bathrobes and "pool" towels. Every day our bed was made in a different arrangement.

Our front porch. I like a country dedicated to front porch lounging and living.

The view from our front porch. A little sidewalk and a drop off to the ocean.

The view from the main building down the winding staircase to the pool.

My hunk of burning love walking up the stairs toward the "veranda" in the main building.

Down by the pool was my favorite restaurant called "The Grill". Every morning you headed up to the main building for a delicious buffet breakfast...I loved all the fresh squeezed juices with the bottles of vodka and rum tucked behind them. For lunch we usually ate at The Grill where the homemade tostito chips and guacamole flowed abundantly and for dinner you could chose the Italian, oriental, buffet or grill. All you can eat...and drink...and all you did was flash the magic wristband. It is what I imagine "good" people heaven to be.

All over the place were the bars where you could saunter on up and order yourself a drink. Of course, every time we ordered ourselves a fruity little drink "without alcohol" we got ourselves a big reaction...until we'd been there a few days. Then we'd order a drink and they'd say, "Let me guess...no alcohol!" They were catching on to this group of Mormons pretty quickly. I spent my time sipping virgin pina coladas, strawberry margaritas, and smoothies anywhere I could...at every meal and snack, beach side, poolside...I didn't find one single place on that whole resort that wasn't slightly improved by a fruity drink with a little paper umbrella.
Don't we look cute with fruity drinks?

Our amazing 4 star resort!

Lounging on the veranda!

Loving resort living!

Light breakfast anyone? Scrambled eggs, french toast, juice, water, bacon, some pastries...just the usual fare. The sad part was leaving that hefty meal and putting on a swim suit.

Chris pulled out these fabulous sun glasses for the trip. He looked like Paunch from Chips. Total 70's fantasy come true!

We spent our days eating, reading, eating, lounging, eating, alternating between beach and pool, eating, hanging out, and having a grand ole' time.

On Thursday, Chris' company paid for the entire group to go river rafting. We took a chartered bus with a fabulous tour guide to the Tenario river. We rode the bus as far as we could and then switched to a truck with benches in an open back to ride the bumpy, dusty roads the remainder of the way in. We hiked the final way down a path to the the place on the river where we set in. We received our directions, got ourselves organized, and hopped in a raft with a guide. It was one of my favorite activities! We took some gentle and not so gentle rapids, saw toucans, bats, and monkeys, and finished the whole rafting trip off with a drop down a 12-foot waterfall. The water was blue and beautiful, the scenery was breathtaking, and the exotic wildlife unbelievable. When we reached the end, we headed back on shore for tropical fruit and juice...then back on the bumpy, dusty truck and across the scary, dilapidated bridge. It was a fantastic day and amazing adventure. We ate lunch at a great restaurant built on the edge of the river that served amazing local cuisine. I loved every minute!

On Friday, Chris and I took off in the morning for a little adventure of our own. Our resort and the beach were located in a little bay and we wanted to walk around the "corner" of the bay and see beach on the open ocean. So with low tide, we set out. We hiked over amazing volcanic rock and explored the beautiful tide pools. We saw caves and crashing waves and lots of wildlife...my favorite were the pelicans. It was always breathtaking to watch these animals in their "natural" habitat! We discovered a white sand, deserted beach that we quickly claimed for ourselves and spent a glorious morning playing in the water and laying on the sand. We were doing some fabulous body surfing in the waves until a dead fish almost hit me in the face and I quickly abandoned the water for safe, dry, non-death infested land. There wasn't another person in sight and we loved exploring the beach. After our little rendezvous, we headed back to the resort for a day lounging on the beach, reading books and occasionally wandering up to the Grill for chips and guacamole or a fruity drink.

Our own private beach.

Hiking around the bay.

We had to travel across a couple of ravines...quite an adventure in a dress with flip-flops.

This was my favorite bed making day. We came in and discovered she had pulled the top blanket into a funky little design and topped it off with a fresh, tropical flower. I definitely don't see that kind of service at home!

On our last night there, we had dinner at the Italian restaurant with Noah and Kristy Eyre. We ate pasta, had fruity drinks, great conversation, and tried not to think about the fact that paradise was quickly coming to an end!

How we spent the entire last day of vacation. I stood up long enough to take the picture. I knew vacation was ending when I finished my book on the beach. I had a fruity drink to celebrate uninterrupted reading in a lounge chair on the beach.

All the glorious wildlife in Costa Rica!

Loved finding evidence of "visitors".

I don't think I mentioned the howler monkeys that lived in the trees outside our room or the little gecko lizards that danced on the ceilings around the lights at night or the snakes that I dutifully did my best to avoid. There were so many wonderful things to see and hear and enjoy.
But all good things have to come to end. On Saturday morning we left and started the long journey back to Utah. It was so good to arrive and see our kids. I did miss them. They would have loved Costa Rica.
And there you have it. The deed is done. We have traveled, documented, savored, and relived all the glorious moments! I feel so grateful for the absolute gift this trip was to me. It was a country I don't think I ever would have traveled to and now I am plotting and schemeing to figure out how to get back.
Pura Vida!






































































































































7 comments:

jenlivi said...

I am glad you guys had such a wonderful time. I'm a little green with envy but hey, what do you expect putting all of those delicious pictures and descriptions of amazing food you didn't have to cook?

Hope you get back there soon.

Leese said...

Pure paradise! So happy you two could go and have such an incredible time! I bet the pina coladas were better than the ones we used to drink at Casa's!

katyvee said...

I think I just realized I was actually smiling while reading that. (I do that sometimes during 'The Bachelor' and catch myself, and feel embarrassed.)
It's all so delightful I almost can't stand it. Thanks for sharing. Go again.. and TAKE ME WITH YOU.

Emma Jo said...

I have no response to that. Except that I feel all warm and tingly and happy and serene...and full.
oh! The sounds of all four of my kids spinning around in an office chair right behind me just brought me back. Dang.

Shar said...

So i have to admit...I skimmed your other costa rica posts b/c I just couldn't bear being that jealous right now. But I read this entire one and I'm so glad I did! I loved how much you loved fruity drinks. I think that would have been a favorite of mine.

and I don't think there's ever been a day where you could be called frumpy!

And the idea of reading a whole book sans interuptions is HEAVENLY! I have been meaning to read Jessica Day George for months now...I may just have to make a trip to the library. Or better yet, the bookstore. I can pretend I'm buying it for a vacation somewhere. haha.

I'm really glad you got to go on the trip. You deserved it!! Ooh...and so did Chris :)

mo said...

Lovely fantasy trip! Everyone should have one of those in their memory to escape to when they need a menatl vacation!

Heather and Eric said...

Why wasn't I invited? I could have totally used a fruity-drink-and-novel-reading-by-a-volcano vacation! Call me next time!