Thursday, May 21, 2009

Just So Daily

It is 9:20 a.m. and I am girding my loins. The day looks sunny...I'll try and remember to stop and appreciate how beautiful it is outside.

10:15 a.m.: HB has preschool graduation. Take camera...make sure she goes to the bathroom BEFORE the ceremony starts. Maybe pack an extra pair of underwear just in case.

11:00 a.m.: Babysit my friend's little girl.

11:50 a.m.: Get MC to kindergarten. Does he have a clean shirt to wear?

12:00 p.m.: Feed children lunch (remember that a poptart and chocolate milk does not count as a well-balanced meal), get ingredients for dessert and treats to take to JC's last soccer game.

1:35 p.m.: Attend JC's music performance at school. Take video camera...is it charged?

2:10 p.m.: Rush home and clean house in preparation for writing group tonight. Try to identify and remove brain stain from couch. Make cupcakes for dessert.

3:00 p.m.: Pick up kids from school. Remember to pull up to the appropriate spot BEFORE the kids open the door and try to climb in while the car is still moving. Drop off carpool.

4:30 p.m.: Get JC to soccer game. Last game of the season...don't forget to take treats or you will be scorned by a team of 8-9 year olds.

5:30 p.m.: Make dinner...clean house again. Frost cupcakes. Make sure all the pee on the bathroom floor is cleaned up. Plug in air freshener so guests tonight won't suspect that your boys are urine-disabled and don't understand that the big, white pot is for the pee and not just decoration.

6:00 p.m.: Eat dinner. (Remember that eating Cocoa Puffs more than once a week for dinner does not constitute as a well-balanced meal.)

7:00 p.m.: Writing group...my turn to host. Have I written anything in the last month? Could share that story that I wrote in college.

9:00 p.m.: Get kids to bed before 10:00 p.m. so they don't fall asleep in the middle of field day tomorrow.

I'm exhausted.

Last night as we were putting the boys to bed, Chris happened to be reading a little biography on Edgar Allan Poe. JC listened attentively as Chris read about Poe being orphaned at 3 years old, moving out of his foster home at 16 years old, marrying his 13 year old cousin, and then having a complete and total nervous breakdown in his 30's after his wife died. Now JC looked a little stunned through the whole narrative but he really perked up at the "nervous breakdown" part and in his typical manner, began his line of questioning.

What is a nervous breakdown?
What happens?
What kind of medicines do they give people who have had one?
Do you have to go to the hospital?
What kinds of strange things happen?
Do we know anyone that has ever had one?
Have you ever had one, Dad?
Etc, etc, etc.

I hadn't anticipated educating my 8-year old on nervous breakdowns but I'm ever so grateful that my husband didn't just point to me and say, "JC, your mother has them every day. Any other questions?"

Real life is just so real.

P.S. Reading the little bio on Edgar Allan Poe was accidental...just in case you think I feed my children crap all day and then finish it off with a horror story before bed. Sigh. Have I lost my chance for Mother of the Year again??

8 comments:

katyvee said...

Just to soften your overly-harsh-self-analysis.. Bo had generic cocoa puffs for breakfast, AND lunch. He's now eating an apple before bed to make ME feel better.
And his fingernails are unusually dirty. Sophies in THE tackiest Princess nighty from Disney (I'm big on cute jammies. She has at LEAST 8 precious pairs.. but this one.. NOT precious.) Oh, and Sam and Jesse need haircuts.. and my bathroom smells like chickens. Ya know.. from the chickens living in it. Feel better??
By the way.. fill me in on a "Writing Club". Did you make it up.. or is that a thing?? And do you really write something other than your blog?? I remember when I used to write just to write. Poems, stories.. thoughts.. essays on interesting things. I think that was exactly 12 years a go.
(Sidenote: My oldest child, is 12.)

Thunell Family said...

Oh, i love you Amy. Thank you for writing this...it's so...life. On my follow-up to my fruitful life post I'm going to write how when I read it, my daughter couldn't even wait for me to finish the first paragraph before quickly turning it to the Webkinz site (sigh). I'm pretty sure I have changed about 10 seriously disastrous diapers today (only because I waited so long before changing them, that they became disastrous...sheesh). It's just about 10 p.m. and my kids are still up...I can hear them talking upstairs. And my two year old ate 3 pb&j sandwiches today because it's the easiest thing to make at a moments notice...good grief!!! I love your writer's group...sounds so interesting! Will you come and be my neighbor, please? I'll make cupcakes with you?

Michelle said...

Hello Amy Lynn. I think whenever in doubt, go with the Penguin Tattoo story or the Boy Who Woke Up with Popsicle Arms.

Jessica said...

I'm tired too. You need a day off!

jenlivi said...

Thank you for the first genuine laugh I have had all day. I don't even want to recap one of my days. I'm afraid I too may see too many horror stories and cocoa puffs!

kelly said...

mary englebreit has a saying, life is just so daily! i love that, we just trudge on and on but our children are better for it and a bowl of cereal every once in a while never hurt anyone, prepares them for their missions:) writing club sounds fun, we do book club but it is hard enough to get the book read much less write something!
hope you are all well otherwise!

Julie said...

And here I sit surfing for the last hour missing my 2 eldest (one's in Italy, one's celebrating the first day of summer) while the "baby" is happily ensconced in PlayStation gaming with his Dad. Promise you'll have a quiet house one day, but you may not like it!

mo said...

It makes me tired just to read about your day! If it's any consolation, I'm sure my days used to be like that and now I have no memory of it being hard. Maybe my memory was affected. The funniest thing to me was that your kids were getting Edgar Allan Poe as a bedtime story....now there's a good "put 'em to sleep with happy dreams" author! Tomorrow night you can read them "Tales from the Crypt!"