Thursday, August 20, 2009

First Day of School

Today was our first day of school.

I'm always so emotional and sentimental on this day. I find it gets harder and harder each year instead of easier. It has been so hard to let them go.

JC started 3rd grade. He has an amazing teacher that we love and adore and that will provide the perfect blend of structure and excitement. He loves to learn. Loves the challenge, loves the energy, loves the routine. He truly thrives at school.

MC started 1st grade. He has a teacher that is kind and gentle and I believe understands perfectly the need for a first grader to learn self-control and also be able to play. Having MC go for a full day instead of a half day is a tough reality for me to wrap my mind around. I loved having him home with me last year for part of the day. And I loved the days when HB got to go frolic at preschool and it was just him and I. How many times do I get one-on-one time with my middle child? He is smart and fun and will have a fantastic experience this year. Although when I picked him up at the end of the day, he said, "Mom, was this a whole day of school?"

"No, remember it was early out today? It was just part of a day."

Big sigh from the back seat. "Mom, that sure felt like a whole long day."

There will be adjustments.

And so a new year has started. My boys are bigger, stronger, smarter, wiser, and more fun than they have ever been. I love how they look in their handsome school uniforms with new tennis shoes, freshly cut hair, shiny pink cheeks, and eager smiles. I love the summer we have had together. I miss it already. But I am trying to look forward to the adventures we are going to have and the amazing things they are going to learn about this big, ole' fascinating world we live in.

And I am so grateful to their teachers! They will work so hard and care so much. They know things and how to do things that I don't. I am blessed to feel confidence in them and our school.
I am so grateful for their education and those that are providing it. I am grateful that I am welcome at the school and will have the opportunity to be involved with their lives there. I am constantly being offered new challenges and experiences that are helping me to grow personally and "professionally". I love working with teachers and children and board members and the library and anywhere else they will let me in. It is a joy.

And so we begin this new chapter. I hope the ending is just as happy as the beginning.

P.S. Our camera is broken. Absolutely refuses to do anything. Can you think of ANYTHING more tragic than a broken camera on the first day of school????

6 comments:

Julie said...

Oh man! The first day of school pictures are so vital!! (you can just re-enact them, right?)

I agree-- it is hard to say goodbye to them. Summer seems so short sometimes. How lucky you are to get to do so much with the school. That is great.

Jen S said...

You're such a good mom...WAY better than me!! I actually shed a tear of joy when they left thinking of what was ahead for me - clean house, quiet nap time. It was beautiful!! Someday I'll look back and miss the chaos and the noise....but not this week!!

katyvee said...

I'm jealous they were in school uniforms and white tennies. Mine were in skate logo t-shirts and though new and shiny.. kinda ugly, multi-colored skate shoes of their choice.. (I've lightened up, slightly, on the my manic need for color-coordination.) If it makes ya feel better.. Jesse's pic was blurred from the early 6:30 air or who knows what.. could not get it to focus.. Sam looks pasty white in the morning sun-- and Bo is making a goofy face. BUT.. we always get doughnuts on the first and last day of school-- so everybody wins! Happy-happy new school year to you!1 (OH!We never met up.. WHAT a suprise!! We're lame.. but now we could meet up just girls while our boys slave away getting an education??)

Suzie Petunia said...

I can't believe they've started school! We still have 3 whole weeks...and I'm a little less patient about getting them back to school than you are. :) They are all excited, too! Bonus! But no pictures? That IS truly tragic. Seriously? NONE? I was really looking forward to their cute, shiny new clothes and big smiles. What is Hannah doing this year?

mo said...

Seriously, Julie's idea is great. Just reenact that first day--afterall, the school uniforms make it easy. It will always be a funny memory. So glad you are happy about their teachers! Let's go play sometime now that you are free!

Emma Jo said...

I'm just not sure that I am quite ready yet. We got one more week to get ready I guess. I love the school uniforms too...you think anyone would notice if I dressed my kids in uniforms every day?