Dear NieNie,
It was a dark and stormy...morning?! I awoke yesterday to the sound of thunder. It was dark and rainy and cold. I instantly thought of you and this milestone you were determined to face and wished desperately that mother nature had provided different circumstances for you to hike! But last night, as my family of 5 drove from American Fork to Provo, I marvelled at the change in weather...how a dark, gray, thunderous day had turned to something so beautiful. It really was exceptionally beautiful last night! The sky was a color of blue that my poor mind can't think of an adequate word to describe. The sun was brilliant and bright but the temperature was cool and breezy. The mountains were so green and majestic looking. As I was sharing more of your story with my family, I was suddenly struck by the irony of this day.
A year ago was definitely a dark and stormy time in your life. I'm certain that for you and your family, there were many times it seemed hard to imagine how the storm could be hiding something majestic and beautiful. Yet last night I literally watched you scale a mountain, hand in hand with the love of your life, hand in hand with the children I know you adore. You were radiant and strong and as we all sat on the big white Y together, the sun set behind the mountains and cast the most brilliant glow over the valley. That glow in all those magnificent colors lasted long after the sun had disappeared. It was breathtaking and I felt so grateful to be one of the many celebrating that moment with you.You have scaled some huge mountains in the last year. You have faced trials that few will be asked to face in this lifetime. And you are emerging triumphant. I know there are many roads left to travel, many challenges left to face, but if the courage and strength and radiance and grace that you have shown this first year are any indication, then there is no doubt you will conquer with truly a hero's crown.
As I hugged you and met you first time face to face, I was awed by your beauty! You glow! Your eyes are brilliant, lit with a light not many possess. Your kindness, gentleness, humility, and compassion were felt. What an marvelous person you are! Thank you for posting that amazing picture of you on your blog this morning. I smiled again when I saw you. I'm so glad you are in this world, changing lives and spreading so much goodness to so many corners of the world. I look at that picture on your blog and remember walking behind you up that mountain and I feel that you are a rare woman in this world with real untold wealth and joy. Not many will have the opportunity to experience the love you have, the deep understanding of our Savior and His infinite Atonement, the personal assurance that you are His daughter, cradled eternally in His hands and given a very important mission to accomplish in this life. You radiate...your beauty has touched my heart over and over again in this last year. Thank you for that gift.
With all my love,
Amy Carr
P.S. Thank you for taking the time to meet my sweet daughter on top of the mountain last night. She asked over and over again where you were as we hiked the mountain and read the messages left in stone on the path. As we left, she said, "So, mom...that's the fancy Easter basket lady. Can you make me one of those?" Ah, my sweet daughter. Not all of us possess what Nie-Nie does...
2 comments:
What can I even say to that? So beautifully put. I hope you sent it to her. I hope she knows the rest of us feel that way but can't say it quite so well. Wonderful! I am amazed when I think of all she has done in the past year--with each day being a struggle. I wish I could have hiked too!
You are so good with words! Beautiful-you made me cry-I think that make for the second time today! Thanks again for you lesson it also was so great! You are a natural teacher! I am so grateful to be serving with you!
L-Becca
Post a Comment