Every once in awhile a girl needs a little break from the daily grind. And my darling sister was most accomodating to my needs by having a cute baby boy that just needed his aunt for a few days! While I don't love that my mother is thousands of miles away, I do love that it gives me opportunities I might not otherwise have...like telling my husband that I'm trotting away for a few days to go frolic with my sister and her bunch of darlings! (Thanks Mo!) And who would have guessed that I along the way, I'd find my happy again.
Happiness is sitting on an airplane ALL BY MYSELF with nothing but a couple of mindless magazines and a great book!
Happiness is definitely hugging my sister, listening to the giggle of my niece, seeing Oscar's chocolate brown eyes and infectious smile, and meeting my nephew for the first time. Bliss, pure bliss.
Happiness is always stopping for a quick trip to Ikea and being treated to meatballs and mashed potatoes. Joy.
Happiness is having my 2-year old niece call out my name from the back seat and then say, "Shhhh. Don't talk. You're injured." I love that she is quoting funny movie lines at such a young, tender age. And every time I said it back to her, she would laugh hysterically! Alice's Favorite Movie Line It still makes me laugh.
Happiness is my niece Waverly. She made me an aunt. Loving and adoring her is second nature. I've done it since the moment I first laid eyes on her. She is beautiful and smart and funny and wonderful to hang out with. We played "beauty shop" all weekend with her long, silky locks. Thanks to Mindy and her bevy of beauties for all the fun hair ideas!
Happiness is getting to hang out with Joe during the night. It is delightful to have a newborn baby all to yourself. We walked around the kitchen and had deep conversations about milk and fuzzy blankets and binkys. He is snuggly and darling and I'm in love all over again.
Happiness is spending the evening in Sarah and Taylor's room watching the Star Trek movie and discovering a whole new series to be addicted to. Firefly...couldn't wait to get our jammies on and all curl up together with our snacks. (Now I know what you are thinking...I was thinking the same thing as well. I am not an outer space fan...but you are going to have to trust me on this one. I am absolutely hooked!)
(I have a little crush on the captain...the one holding the big gun with the suspenders.)
Happiness is Henry, Oscar and Alice...and watching them take to their new "jobs" as big brothers and sisters.
Happiness is having a big sister that bakes cookies with you.
Happiness is Sarah's home and yard. I fell in love with Oregon...it was so green and beautiful. I loved the rain and the romantic mist and Christmas tree farms. I love their "cottage"...loved it! It was cozy and warm and perfect.
The coziest kitchen in the world.
The cottage...rear view.
The daily scene driving up to the house on the long and winding driveway. It took my breath away every time.
The driveway that leads up to the magical cottage.
They have goats that get hungry and then sound like crying children. One tried to eat Oscar...he was traumatized for a couple of days. And then the goats tried to escape. It was all terribly exciting for this city girl.
And how about some fresh eggs for breakfast?!
Happiness was discovering that I was perfectly color coordinated with Mother Nature! We were meant to be together!
Happiness was having the chance to be a part of all the daily happenings. I loved being Alice's favorite aunt because I took her & Oscar to McDonalds for lunch. I loved taking Oscar to school and peeking at his teacher and seeing his classroom. I loved dropping Waverly off at school and being terrified as I watched her being swallowed up by middle school. I loved attending Henry's basketball game and watching him show off his stuff.
I have seen my brother-in-law's magic show a thousand times and I still laugh and leave completely amazed. "That guy really is amazing!"
Happiness is finally getting to eat at Rosie's Deli. Ah, it was celestial.
Happiness is making a strange, new discovery in the chicken coop one day. There just HAS to be a great story with this forlorn barbie head.
Lots of happiness is a nephew who uses darling letter magnets to spell out how much he loves you and then loans you his favorite stuffed animal to sleep with until you leave. Try to beat that kind of happy!
Happiness is a walk in the rain with your favorite people. It is beautiful and calm and green and joyful. I'm in love with Oregon...
Happiness is making a new discovery...even if it is a dead frog in the middle of the road.
Happiness is puddle jumping.
Happiness is sneaking out one night because you and your sister needed a little midnight snack from Rosie's Deli and coming home with one of everything that looked delicious in the bakery case.
It was a delightful, "fill my teacup to overflowing" kind of trip! Thank you Sarah and Taylor for all your hospitality and generosity. (Taylor...thanks for taking me down to Powell's bookstore for a fabulous afternoon in one of my favorite places in the world. Can we get one of those doughnuts next time?) Thank you Chris for making these possible in every way. Thank you sweet children for sharing your mom and understanding how sometimes some mom "private time" can be good for the whole family.


































11 comments:
Amy, I think your happiness and mine are related. I have a daughter named Waverley. She is named after a character in the book "The Joy Luck Club" also, Firefly is one of my favorites. I wish is was still on. Although I get my "captain fixes" by watching "Castle". I am so glad you had a great time away. All mom's need it.
You are an amazing person. Who has that much fun taking care of five kids and a new mom? I know what you mean about getting away from your own responsibilities for awhile, though. A change is often a good vacation just because it is a change. Thank you for taking up the slack for me and doing such a good job doing it! Your pictures make me miss those lovely Oregonians.
I am in love with my family and how fun and wonderful they are...and how they find joy and beauty and happiness all around!
I want to live in Oregon now! That looks so inviting-- it helps that there are also beautiful people in the photos, too!!
Amy, thank YOU for bringing so much happiness to us all...and thank you, FAMILY, for all taking such good care of each other. You are our happiness!
That was fun to read. How did my grand nieces and nephews grow so much? Oregon looks like. Perhaps I am a tad homesick for the good old USA. American English anyone?
You are such a blessing to your family! I am so happy you were able to go up to be with Sarah, both of you sound like you benefited! Your family is such a great example! I want to be like you!
Thanks Amy for all the happiness you share with us! We love you!
You had such a great stay in Oregon. It is beautiful.
That makes me happy too. A little break to see sweet family in the middle of winter sounds fabulous! You are such a great auntie I am sure they loved you to pieces! It all sounds very picturesque and a fuzzy warm kind of happy. Thanks for sharing!
It just looks so lovely! I need my sisters. I'm so glad you were able to help Sarah. It was the "RS" in me worrying so that she would be all alone, and you came to the rescue when I wished I could have and just couldn't. Thanks. (And you're a way more fun aunt than me.)
Love this post! I love spending time with my 4 wonderful sisters--I'm sure you had a great time being with yours :).Sarah's house and driveway...I am in love.
Post a Comment