It is absolutely no secret that Winter and I have never, ever been BFFs.
I hate Winter. Don't get me wrong...Winter always starts out charming and sweet and somewhat romantic...snowflakes look fantastic with Christmas finery. And all those Christmas songs would seem a little lost without some of the white stuff. But you strip away all that fancy when the holidays are done and what do you have left? Big, gray, disgusting piles of snow sitting in parking lots until April. It is cold and miserable...and I live in Utah. See the problem?
So this year I decided to change it up...embrace, so to speak. If I was going to live in a state where a good chunk of the year is spent with Winter, then by golly, we needed to at least be amicable. I made a plan...and here is where we started.
The ice castles in Midway, UT.
*(I am waiting for the Townsend Family to adopt me. They are this amazing family that put all the other families to shame by taking their children out to do things like ice fish and see grizzly bears and boat and explore ice castles in Midway. Until they agree to my adoption, I'm just going to hope they understand that imitation is the highest form of flattery. They found these ice castles...but I'm so glad we followed. They were amazing.)
This is evidence of a man who decided if you couldn't beat the living daylights out of winter, you might as well call a truce and embrace it. He makes these out of sprinkler thingies and actually grows icicles in little farms. They are huge and blue and very impressive!
Then we headed across the street so my children could stare at the hot springs in the crater at The Homestead. It really is fascinating to walk into a cave like place that is all misty and foggy and watch people scuba dive while you are standing on the side dressed for winter.
While MC and HB were absolutely fascinated by the big hole with water in a cave like structure, JC was anything but enthralled. He booked it out of there as fast as he could. He doesn't like deep water where you can't see the bottom and rickety wood structures floating in the aforementioned deep water that people stand on to look at the deep water. Hmm...go figure!
But as we were wandering around The Homestead, we discovered a frog statue that enthralled us all. Everyone insisted on having their picture taken next to Mr. Frog...
then things got carried away and HB actually kissed him...
She was a little disappointed that all you get when you kiss a frog in Midway are 2 brothers that can't stop wrestling long enough to take a picture. Sigh.
Well, it quite an adventure...and like any good adventure, it ended with fabulous refreshments at a local bakery.
Any place that serves cookies, cinnamon rolls and muffins as big as your head with hot chocolate decked out with whipped cream, chocolate sauce and a darling red straw gets a big A+ in my book of life! It was delicious.
Well, we'd had success. While I still wasn't "in love" with Winter, I was starting to appreciate some of her fine points. It wasn't all bad. So I decided we needed one more little intervention...
a trip to the Winter Festival at Ruby's Inn outside of Bryce Canyon National Park. It will become an annual family tradition that I will eagerly look forward to each year. And we expect everyone to come join the party. It was so, so, so amazing!
We started the adventure celebrating JC's 9th birthday! Happy birthday sweet boy!
We snowshoed through a fairy tale forest of brilliant, green evergreens and snow that sparkled. HB asked if the snow had diamonds in it...and we discovered that MC has a passion for snowshoeing. He took off and left us in the dust.
We climbed mounds and mounds of snow, threw snowballs, climbed trees, and played in the snow until we literally were worn out and sunburned.
Then we watched a little cable TV, swam in the pool and the kids even took a watercolor class! (A little random...but it was free! We love free!)
We explored Bryce Canyon. It was breathtaking! The red rock with the white snow...the trees and hoodoos and trails were beautiful! We started hiking down Navajo Trail...and then we just sat down and slid to the bottom!
We celebrated Valentine's Day with chocolate...lots of chocolate and love. Just the way it should be.
And then we went cross country skiing...
It was a fantastic winter adventure.
Winter and I may become BFFs after all.
14 comments:
I don't even know where to start, the amazing ice, the adorable kids that I want to squeeze until they tell me to stop, the awesome frog, the treats, the watercolor pictures, the fun activities...I feel overwhelmed with longing! Plus, Hazel just came in, saw you on the screen and got really excited...so now we have to come visit.
I have been waiting for some pictures! Those ice castles look amazing! And Bryce, it looks SO beautiful, and so fun. We will have to check it out next year!! I love the kids on cross country skis!
That looks like winter done right. I wish I could have come along.
I am so impressed! And inspired! I am definitely going to try to embrace this dreary season the way you did. . . next year. Spring is on the way can you feel it?
You did all of the best winter activities in one shot!!! That's the coolest trip I have ever heard about!
I think we feel the same way about winter. I am not a fan. At all. That being said, I think your adventures sound and look fabulous. Maybe that is the trick to enjoying winter--you just need to get out and have fun with it. Loved the pictures.
I am so impressed with your initiative, endurance, and enthusiasm in February! I've heard winter can be fun, but it's so much work to get all bundled up. You guys totally made it worth it! What a fun, fun adventure!
Cool pics! Based on these pics I would never guess you didn't love Winter!
Well I suppose this adventure was along the same lines as tide pools and light houses and glorious gardens and three days at Disneyland. It looks like you had a blast! You should come visit our snow, now. So sorry we missed seeing you while we were on the other coast, though I am not sad we didn't spend three days in more snow... Give everyone big hugs for us! I have a belated b-day card all written and address for JC. It just needs a stamp (I took it all the way to CA to mail and still have it sitting here staring at me)
Congratulations, you have made someone living in 60 degree weather in Feb jealous! That is amazing. It looks so fun!
Your trips sound absolutely fabulous! What great fun and happy memories for your kids. Way to go! I don't even want to hear you complain about your amount of snow though....no sympathy here!
Your trips sound absolutely fabulous! What great fun and happy memories for your kids. Way to go! I don't even want to hear you complain about your amount of snow though....no sympathy here!
Oh you're GOOD.
You are very, very, good.
We thought we were cool for taking the kids to IHOP.
Okay so I have never taken my kids to bryce in the winter. I have been there cross-country skiing and lived there for a season working at Bryce (which was long before I had a family) but I have never taken my kids or honey in the winter. I will have to find out about this winter festival and follow your example. What an amazing trip, please fill me in on the details maybe we can swap ideas.
Post a Comment