Monday, July 19, 2010

Jail Time

Meet this woman. We'll just call her "Roxy".

                                                 She hasn't had such a good week...trust me!


                                                 "Roxy", and her charming boyfriend "Axel"....


are currently spending a little time in the county jail. This is most likely a temporary housing situation as I feel quite confident they will be swapping their jail cell here for one in a bigger, more permanent location. You see, Roxy and her boyfriend were arrested this week. They were pulled over because the pick-up truck they were driving had a front head light out. But when the police officier looked inside the truck, he knew he had hit payday. This charming couple had 51 burglary tools, a $1,000 diamond, drugs and more than 50 pieces of stolen mail including birth certificates, bank account statements, personal checks, and more. Included in those 50 pieces of mail were also one of our bank statements, our phone bill, and a credit card offer. Those 3 items that were carefully selected from our mailbox in our little suburban neighborhood provided plenty of information for this charming couple to either us to set up lines of credit or to sell that someone else could make all their credit dreams come true.

I remember the day I picked the mail up and thought it was strange that one of the bank statements didn't come with the rest of them. They usually all arrive together and I did notice one wasn't there. But I truly thought nothing more of it...until the police officer called at 5:30 a.m. in the morning and asked if there was a reason why Roxy and Axel would have our mail.

These two, while not terribly attractive (you'll have to trust me on this!), are very smart. They understood that having these 3 items were all they needed to cause lots of chaos. Having someone's information, adult or minor, means they can cause years of damage to an individual's credit without that person realizing it...and by the time you find out, you can spend years trying to repair the damage.

I truly feel blessed that this police officer pulled this couple over. I feel truly blessed that these items were discovered. I feel truly blessed that we didn't go months or years before we discovered this problem and were then required to spend years trying to get out of it.

All our accounts have been closed and changed. We have contacted credit bureaus and tried to stop all credit card offers. We have have gone completely wireless with all our statements, bills, etc. We have added identity theft protection to our computers, bank accounts, and credit reports. This kind of stuff just doesn't happen in a sweet little neighborhood like ours.

Now we know better.

(This is the article that appeared in the newspaper this week regarding this incident! Names and locations have been changed to protect us from any creepy friends these two might have!)

Two people were arrested in Happyville after police say they discovered 51 burglary tools, a $1,000 diamond, drugs and more than 50 pieces of stolen mail in the truck the pair were driving Tuesday.

Roxy, 34, and Axel, 41, were pulled over about 2:45 a.m. Tuesday after a police officer noticed one of the truck's headlights was out, according to a police affidavit filed in 4th District Court.
During a search, the officer discovered burglary tools, including pliers, black ski masks, a glass punch and Slim Jims, the affidavit states. The officer also found the mail that belonged to 15 different people and included birth certificates, bank account statements and personal checks made out and signed.

Axel admitted to owning a black bag found in the truck that contained methamphetamine, drug paraphernalia, a diamond and some of the burglary tools, according to the affidavit.

Roxy and Axel were each booked for investigation of 51 counts of possession of burglary tools. Roxy was also booked for investigation of a pattern of unlawful activity, mail theft, possession of stolen property and other charges. Axel was also booked for investigation of various drug and stolen property charges.

12 comments:

Jessica said...

Holy cow. I am so happy that they caught them as well! That is one of my biggest fears in the financial area...seriously scary! I am glad all is well.

Suzie Petunia said...

Slim Jims? Really? I think it is hilarious that was included in the official report. I also think it is awesome that with all of the unlawful crap they were into, the thing that got them in trouble was a broken headlight! HA!

AND I am SOOOO glad it isn't causing you too big of a headache. You guys are real smart. :)

Oscarson Photography said...

I can't describe the relief I feel knowing that this was only a close call... a very, very close call. Agh! How creepy scary!!

katyvee said...

GOOD story.
Ya think they meant.. beef jerky slim jims?? Certainly not.
(Don't robbers eat spam??)
Roxy and Axel. They sound kinda cool and rock n' roll.. but apparantly, are not so much.
So glad they got em.

Lucky Mommy said...

Yikes. I haven't thought about credit card offers being a problem. That is so scary and I am so happy they caught them and that you have already made all of those changes. I'm thinking of taking more precautions.

Anja Olergård said...

Scary! What a blessing they had that broken headlight.

Abby said...

Bad people make me mad. You guys work so hard and are so good and there are people that have zero concern for that and would take it all--from your children! Horrible--but thankfully a happy ending. I am suddenly grateful for my ugly community mailbox.
Doesn't being a criminal seem like almost as much work as just getting a real job? Added with the stress of potentially being caught--not worth it!

Julie said...

Hoooolllllyyy smokes! I am so glad they caught them! Now I am nervous!! That is awful. I am so glad it didn't get worse.

M-L said...

Who would not want to be you? but that is plain too wicked!

Emma Jo said...

Nightmare!! I was riveted at the beginning thinking that it was one of your fantastic stories. So sorry that you have had to deal with all that, what a mess! And what a naughty naughty couple. That is WRONG choices people!

mo said...

Having had my wallet stolen several years ago and the hassle that I dealt during the course of the next year or so, I have complete sympathy for what a close call you had. Scarey. How can humans be so depraved and mean? I don't get it.

Carrie Ann said...

They were BAD people. I've seen their real mug shots, crime makes you really, really unattractive, plus it ages you. Thank you cops for doing your job! I will never complain for getting pulled over for a light out again!